Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by catocony
Keep in mind that sidewalks are very crowded in BKK. A walk of a few blocks can take quite a bit longer than you think.

As to where to stay, lets have an honest moment. If you're going to Bangkok for partying and women, you'll want to stay somewhere along Sukhumvit. There are a variety of Marriott and Starwood properties over a 3.5 mile stretch of the street. Pick a property that's close to where you want to go and/or close to the Skytrain and/or the MRT.
Well, I'm going as a first time tourist, and plan on doing all the normal sight-seeing in the city before a few days relaxation at Nai Yang beach.

I want to stay at a Marriott as it will get me to Platinum this year. Without having any specific plans yet other than seeing the things everyone sees (i.e. Google "top 10 things to see in Bangkok") and hopefully eating some very good food, I wanted to make sure I wasn't making my short stay unduly difficult on myself by choosing the wrong Marriott.

It seems like from the comments here that I'll be fine at the CY.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Although I prefer the full service Marriott Marquis QP for our stays, I'm of the belief that first time Bangkok visitors get a better sense of the city by staying riverside.
Well, staying riverside is a nightmare in terms of logistics. With Bangkok traffic, taxi is not the most enjoyable option, and there are no BTS/MRT stations in the area.

Besides, how does club lounge in Marquis compare to Ren? There are nearly same in terms of price and have the same cat. 5. Location of Ren is better, but judging by photos I tend to thing Marquis may be a nicer property. Haven't been to either yet.

P. S. Waiting for Marriott Hotel The Surawongse to open.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Don’t bother - it’s in the middle of no where with terrible traffic (my law office is on Surawong) and despite a non resident who “thinks” it’s walkable to the Meridien area, it’s not unless you’re in a marathon.

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Waiting for Marriott Hotel The Surawongse to open.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Indeed, you are right, location absolutely sucks, I know that area (just didn't recognize "Surawong" name).

P. S. Well, it is sort of walkable to Sala Daeng (I am not "thinking" that, I have walked personally from Lebua to Sathorn few times LOL), but it's definitely an unpleasant walk, esp. considering crowded streets in that area.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well, staying riverside is a nightmare in terms of logistics. With Bangkok traffic, taxi is not the most enjoyable option, and there are no BTS/MRT stations in the area.
It really depends on what you want to do. Many of the tourist sites are easily accessible from the river. Also, the Millenium and Pen both offer shuttles to the Saphan Taksin BTS.

As a relatively seasoned Bangkok visitor, I now prefer to stay on Sukhumvit, preferably in a property that has direct access to BTS. But I wouldn't dissuade anyone from staying on the river, as this area poses its own challenges if you want to visit tourist sites that are not easily accessible by BTS.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:04 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Well, staying riverside is a nightmare in terms of logistics...
... and there are no BTS/MRT stations in the area.
Sorry, while The River/Sukhumvit area is a matter of personal preference,

I don't understand this statement.

There is both the BTS/Skytrain and the MRT/subway connecting the area around the river's 5 star hotels.

BTS crosses the river, with stops on both sides.
MRT terminates at Hua Lumpong station, on the edge of Bang Rak. Chinatown(both riverside neighborhoods, and Rama IV/SamYan

The BTS will zip you into Siam, via Silom/Satorn/Rachadamri where you can connect to the Sukhumvit line
The MRT zips you to Lumpini, Asoke, Rachada, Central Ladprao, Jatujuk, and beyond

The river also has its own 'not-so-rapid transit', the riverboats, both local and express boats
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by JBord
Very helpful, thank you. I'm feeling better about my CY choice now, as breakfast is the one benefit I care the most about for this stay.

I was a little concerned about the location, but it seems like its less than a 10 min walk to the BTS. I'm more likely to walk long distances than use transportation when I travel. Realizing that Bangkok weather may not cooperate, a short walk seems like a good compromise.
Thanks again to those who helped me with my hotel choice. I ended up splitting my time -- 4 nights at the CY, then to Marriott Nai Yang in Phuket, and 2 nights in the Marquis Queen's Park on my return to Bangkok.

I thought it would be helpful if I provided my personal, very recent, comparison of the two Bangkok properties for other first-timers.

This is a matter of personal preference. The CY was within easy walking distance of both BTS lines. But you also had to walk about the same distance to get to restaurants, bars, entertainment, etc. The Marquis was not really close to the trains, although as others have stated, the walk through the park is at least a pleasant way to get to the BTS. The CY was in (my opinion) a nicer neighborhood. But the shops and street life outside the Marquis seemed more authentically Bangkok and less modern. More charming. There were literally dozens of bars and restaurants right outside the hotel. Also, the park in back is very nice. I think, as a first time tourist, I'd recommend the location of the CY. You can walk about 5-6 mins to the BTS line that takes you directly to the tourist boat on the river, and easily get to the Grand Palace and several interesting Wats. It would be a longer walk and at least one transfer from the Marquis. It's also a fairly easy walk to Lumphini Park from the CY. But overall, as far as location, I'd call it a tie and would stay at either property.

Rooms:
I had a standard King room, 11th floor, at the CY. It was perfectly fine for me. No problems or concerns.
I had the M-club room at the Marquis. The hotel is obviously newer and the room looks that way, so it was slightly nicer, and had a much better view, being on the 27th floor. Size seemed similar to the CY.
I wouldn't pick one hotel over the other based on the rooms I had.

Lounges and breakfast:
The CY lounge was smaller, as you'd expect for a much smaller hotel. At the evening happy hour, it was difficult to find a seat, and food options were limited -- not significantly better than a Marriott in the US, IMO. The Marquis had a large lounge, I never had trouble finding a seat. The happy hour offering was fantastic. Huge spread and more bar options than the CY. Everything from bar food (fried whatever) to higher end offerings such as prosciutto, chicken and pork terrines, and very nice cheeses. My only negative for the Marquis is that it feels more like a dining room than a lounge. It's probably 95% dining tables, set with silverware. Not much in the way of couches or comfy chairs if you want to relax with a glass of wine or whatever.

Both had small terraces, the one at the Marquis was a little better. Overall, the Marquis wins for lounge.

At the CY, breakfast is a choice between the lounge and MoMo cafe. I didn't even bother with the lounge, because MoMo has a fantastic breakfast buffet. To me, this is the HUGE benefit of staying at the CY. Made to order eggs, sausages, bacon, Indian and Chinese dishes, including a Chinese soup station with several noodle choices. At the Marquis, the lounge is the only free option. It was a good breakfast, with a lot of the same options such as the made to order eggs. But it's just a little smaller, a few less items. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with breakfast at either, but the CY definitely wins for breakfast.

Other Amenities and Service:
I didn't, and don't typically, use a lot of other amenities. The Marquis had quite a few restaurants and they all looked good, but other than breakfast, I prefer to leave the hotel for my meals. There were a couple nice outdoor bars at the Marquis and I did enjoy a couple beers in the terrace bar out by the park. The lobby is huge and gorgeous if that matters to you, whereas the CY lobby was more standard. Other than MoMo, the CY didn't have much in the way of food and beverage amenities on the property. The service at both hotels was friendly and helpful, really top-notch service. As a side note, I noticed that the lounge attendants at the Marquis spoke nearly perfect English. But you won't have problems communicating at either hotel if you don't speak any Thai. So the Marquis has more amenities, but I'd say I didn't really miss any of them at the CY.

My summary is that both are really great properties. The CY was about 65% of the price of the Marquis. Based on that, if I were to have to choose again, I'd stay at the CY. But if price was a little closer, or if I were focusing my time more on that part of the city, I would certainly stay at the Marquis again.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
But if price was a little closer, or if I were focusing my time more on that part of the city, I would certainly stay at the Marquis again.
Actually, from everything you've described, if price is close, you'd probably be happiest at the Ren and/or Soi 57 properties. The Ren is in the same neighborhood as the CY but closer to both the BTS station (very close) and restaurants/bars. The Soi 57 property is in a less touristy neighborhood close to the BTS and has many suites similar to the Marquis, allowing for upgrades and good views. Both have nice lounges. If the price is good, you should add the JW to your list, provided the renovations go well.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Great insights @JBord and completely agree with @CJKatl.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Actually, from everything you've described, if price is close, you'd probably be happiest at the Ren and/or Soi 57 properties. The Ren is in the same neighborhood as the CY but closer to both the BTS station (very close) and restaurants/bars. The Soi 57 property is in a less touristy neighborhood close to the BTS and has many suites similar to the Marquis, allowing for upgrades and good views. Both have nice lounges. If the price is good, you should add the JW to your list, provided the renovations go well.
Yeah likely the Ren for sure. Great location. Soi 57 seems a little far away from most of the touristy things. Anyway, I just wanted to provide some notes on the two I tried with the hope that the detail helps someone else.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:30 am

Yeah likely the Ren for sure. Great location. Soi 57 seems a little far away from most of the touristy things. Anyway, I just wanted to provide some notes on the two I tried with the hope that the detail helps someone else.
Since you are so close to the BTS, the Soi 57 isn't far from anything. Being a little away though makes the neighborhood less touristy. You get a better sense of the local life. IMHO, the Marquis is farther from everything and the Soi 57 property is more connected. I like the Marquis a little better than the Soi 57 property, but the Soi 57's location actually makes it my top choice.

Sorry to have not mentioned it earlier but your insights are appreciated. There are such good choices in Bangkok. Hopefully each person can read the many reviews and determine which property is right for him/her. No choice is bad, which makes it even harder to choose which is right for a specific person/stay/issue.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl

Sorry to have not mentioned it earlier but your insights are appreciated. There are such good choices in Bangkok. Hopefully each person can read the many reviews and determine which property is right for him/her. No choice is bad, which makes it even harder to choose which is right for a specific person/stay/issue.
Re-reading my response, it may have looked like I thought you were picking on my summary, but I knew you were not!

But you're right, this is exactly why I posted my two experiences. When I was deciding, I read probably 100's of posts stating the Marquis was the best Marriott (or whatever hotel someone loved). But I didn't read a lot in terms of comparing the key features and benefits, at least not in one easy to find place. Just because someone loved the Marquis might mean they usually get upgraded to a big suite, and that is more important to them than location or breakfast, for example. And as a measly Gold (until the end of December anyway, then Plat!), things like lounges are more important to me than unlikely upgrades or Platinum arrival gifts, so I try to provide that point of view which I believe is different than a Platinum.

With all the great Marriott properties in Bangkok, I think it would be really helpful for more people to post facts on key amenities at each property. Consider this a formal encouragement of such behavior!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:58 am

Re-reading my response, it may have looked like I thought you were picking on my summary, but I knew you were not!
It did not come across that way at all. I was just trying to correct my bad form in not thanking you. Your insights are appreciated, detailed, useful and in no way taken as negative.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I will be in Bangkok in a couple of weeks and might try to stop by to see renovations at the JW. Perhaps they would show me a room.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
On that same trip I'm considering springing for the Grand Marquis Suite at the Marquis for a few days, just for the heck of it.

Unfortunately the room category between M Suite and Grand Marquis is still not available to book (I toured one of these unicorn suites in person, but for whatever reason it's not being offered for sale yet).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.