Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
47,500 bonvoy points redemption - is it worth it to stay at Aloft sukhumvit? For July’s trip, 24th-29th.

Or should i go Royal orchid sheraton bangrak (67,500), w bangkok bangrak (95,000), four points sukhumvit (67,500), sheraton grande sukhumvit (135,000), westin sukhumvit (95,000), bangkok marriot sukhumvit (95,000)?

Not planning to much inside the hotel itself, but still want to have a decent sleep and good treatment from the hotel? Which one should i stay?

Im a titanium member.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

i am going to bangkok mainly for foods and i heard either sukhumvit or bangrak is one if the best location for foods, including free breakfast.
I think Bangkok is a bad use of points for Bonvoy. However, if using points the StR stands out as a good redemption in terms of redemption value. Considering it is in the same category as the SGS that you're considering, it's worth a look.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:55 am

Cash, cash, cash. Unless a Bangkok trip coincides with CNY, 99% of the time cash is the better option. Inbound tourism is down ( at least at the ‘top end’). Cash rates are not much more than they were 20 years ago ( and in USD terms, allowing for the overvalued Baht). You’re going in the off season, there’s no reason to expect rates will go up ( and certainly no reason to book yet, either points or cash...maybe an off chance that some points might increase in annual review, in March...but it’s hard to imagine there’ll be across the board increases)
Save your points for London, Paris, NYC, Tokyo, Sydney...IMO.
EuropeanPete and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Points can be an excellent value in Bangkok. For the past few days, you could book Grand Deluxe room at StR Bangkok Dec. 31-Jan. 2 for 92k points. That same room was going for about $450 US, exclusive of taxes, so a redemption value of around 1.2 cpp.

Further, room rates in Bangkok have been steadily climbing, as has the value of the Thai Baht. So while it may once have been a good general rule not to burn points in Bangkok, it's now well worth considering, based on whatever redemption value threshold you've set for yourself (mine is .8 cpp).
unclepants and tomwhom like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by milesformichael
tl;dr 3 night honeymoon: SGS, SR or Athenee??? Bonvoy Gold, rate includes breakfast

Hi All- appreciate reading back (as far as I could...) on all of the tips and advice. Would love to hear your thoughts: SGS, Athenee or St. Regis Bangkok for 3 night honeymoon stay. Coming from Vana Belle in Samui and want to enjoy every minute of our stay in Bangkok. Location is important as we like to go out and explore all day, but it sounds like all 3 of these are decent location-wise. Already booked on refundable rates, each reservation including breakfast. I am Bonvoy Gold, upgrades would be nice but not something I rely on. What do you recommend I keep/cancel?!?!? TIA
SGS and don’t look back. St Regis has nice hardware but the service leaves much to be desired. You’ll love the SGS service. PA is great but a bit further to the BTS than the SGS.

47,500 bonvoy points redemption - is it worth it to stay at Aloft sukhumvit? For July’s trip, 24th-29th.

Or should i go Royal orchid sheraton bangrak (67,500), w bangkok bangrak (95,000), four points sukhumvit (67,500), sheraton grande sukhumvit (135,000), westin sukhumvit (95,000), bangkok marriot sukhumvit (95,000)?

Not planning to much inside the hotel itself, but still want to have a decent sleep and good treatment from the hotel? Which one should i stay?

Im a titanium member.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

i am going to bangkok mainly for foods and i heard either sukhumvit or bangrak is one if the best location for foods, including free breakfast.

Same advice for you. As a Titanium you have access to SGS’ Rossini breakfast as well.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 23, 2019 at 10:25 am
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Points can be an excellent value in Bangkok.
Exactly! I just booked a July 5 night St. Regis stay with 120k points. The non-cancel. total is 45K+ THB ( $1,500) and cancellable total is 53K+ THB ($1,764), I believe this 48K per night redemption value is really excellent, even considering the Titanium reward from cash booking.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:07 am

Points can be an excellent value in Bangkok. For the past few days, you could book Grand Deluxe room at StR Bangkok Dec. 31-Jan. 2 for 92k points. That same room was going for about $450 US, exclusive of taxes, so a redemption value of around 1.2 cpp.

Further, room rates in Bangkok have been steadily climbing, as has the value of the Thai Baht. So while it may once have been a good general rule not to burn points in Bangkok, it's now well worth considering, based on whatever redemption value threshold you've set for yourself (mine is .8 cpp).
Points can be a good deal but usually only at times of high demand, eg, your example of NYE ( CNY is another). But that 14000 Baht rate at StR is only for those couple of days; the following week it goes down to 7000 Baht ( ie under your value threshold); the same week the SGS can be had for under 5,000 Baht.
It’s hard to predict indivual hotel rates in Bangkok, but there are so many of them that’s is usually possible to get a very good cash rate at a couple...and ,for non peak times, almost invariably better than points. Of course that strategy only works if one doesn’t really care about which of the hotels to stay at ( I’m happy at any of them, so I’ll go for the best value).
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Originally Posted by paolo64
Points can be a good deal but usually only at times of high demand, eg, your example of NYE ( CNY is another). But that 14000 Baht rate at StR is only for those couple of days; the following week it goes down to 7000 Baht ( ie under your value threshold); the same week the SGS can be had for under 5,000 Baht.
It’s hard to predict indivual hotel rates in Bangkok, but there are so many of them that’s is usually possible to get a very good cash rate at a couple...and ,for non peak times, almost invariably better than points. Of course that strategy only works if one doesn’t really care about which of the hotels to stay at ( I’m happy at any of them, so I’ll go for the best value).
best value = less redemption points per dollar?

in my case above, aloft only shows around 17000baht for 5 nights for 47,500 points, do u think it’s best value? Do you know if they provide breakfast?

four points and SGS looks nicer based on a few reviews, etc., but of course, it’s redemption point / dollar is higher compared to aloft, four points is about 40%, while SGS is 80%.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

in my case above, aloft only shows around 17000baht for 5 nights for 47,500 points, do u think it’s best value? Do you know if they provide breakfast?

four points and SGS looks nicer based on a few reviews, etc., but of course, it’s redemption point / dollar is higher compared to aloft, four points is about 40%, while SGS is 80%.
Value is typically measured at cents per point. You include tax and service in that (which in Bangkok is around 18.5%), since you don't pay tax on an award stay. So take the total price of the stay and divide by the number of points. If 4P cost is 17k THB total for a redemption cost of 47.5k points, that's nearly 1.2 cpp, which is an excellent value. Another positive using points in Bangkok is the cancel policy is typically quite generous (either 1 or 2 days prior to arrival).
That's why I said you need to do the calculation. The assertion I was responding to - that CNY is the "only" time all year that points are a good value - is simply not accurate. StR is commonly in the 9-10k THB per night range these days. and during heavy demand periods it can be over 12k. I redeemed for a quick one night at Athenee earlier this year (think it was July) and got a solid redemption value (around .9 cpp) at a room rate of something like 7.5k THB.

Please note also that taxes and service charges are 18.5%, so you need to add that to the room rate when calculating redemption value. That can easily push the redemption from borderline to solid.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 24, 2019 at 9:15 am
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:11 am

For your dates (24/7-29/7), Aloft is Baht 15,000 total ( cheapest prepaid rate, including tax), so $500USD, give or take). For that you would earn around 6-7000 points as a titanium. Sometimes Aloft goes lower than that ( even close to 2,000) but rarely for weekend nights, as it’s popular with regional tourists. Five nights for 15,000 including tax is a pretty fair deal, although to get that rate you have to pay almost 7 months in advance. The other decent prepaid rates for your dates are the Westin (3,600) ,the ROS ( 2800) and Four Points (2,900), all before tax.
The only unknown is the potential for a category change in March. Who knows what that might bring.
Personally, I wouldn’t lock into a prepaid rate so far in advance. I would likely make a ‘best flexible rate’ booking and then monitor rates closer to the date.
I don’t believe there’s any reason to be fearful that rates will skyrocket: in my experience there are always a couple of decent choices even if others do get expensive ( eg, for a conference or major event).
Flyingbunny88 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:26 am

I don’t disagree that points can be good value when rates skyrocket, as per your example. But when they’re ‘low’, eg St Regis over the next few weeks /months is 6,200 or so, prepaid before tax, Sunday-Friday, points makes little sense, the cash rate is good value.

Value is typically measured at cents per point. You include tax and service in that (which in Bangkok is around 18.5%), since you don't pay tax on an award stay. So take the total price of the stay and divide by the number of points.

That's why I said you need to do the calculation. The assertion I was responding to - that CNY is the "only" time all year that points are a good value - is simply not accurate. StR is commonly in the 9-10k THB per night range these days. and during heavy demand periods it can be over 12k. I redeemed for a quick one night at Athenee earlier this year (think it was July) and got a solid redemption value (around .9 cpp) at a room rate of something like 7.5k THB.

Please note also that taxes and service charges are 18.5%, so you need to add that to the room rate when calculating redemption value. That can easily push the redemption from borderline to solid.
Flyingbunny88 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Thanks for your replies folks. I did a little bit homework as below. So far, in order to better lock the redemption rate, i have reserved aloft and four points for 24-29/7, i can always reserve when i accumulate enough points by end of January for SGS if necessary to secure current redemption points.

Bangkok points:
Trip: July 24-29, 2020 (Titanium Member)
1. Aloft - 47,500 points (14,950 baht = 496 USD for non refundable special rate); 1.04 c/point.
2. Four points sukhumvit - 67,500 (17,340 baht = 575 USD for non refundable prepaid rate); 0.85 c/point.
3. Sheraton Grande sukhumvit - 135,000 (28,572 baht = 948 USD for non refundable prepaid rate); 0.70 c/point.

If choosing the refundable rate, the cash rate is obviously higher which increase the c/point as most of you already know, but the above is just a basic guidance of where it is currently. The above also includes tax, etc.

As titanium, would you get free breakfast on top of welcome bonus points on these 3 hotels? Anyone knows? And, is the breakfast good or comperable for these 3?

Considering the breakfast options VS hotel services VS bed VS area and the above data, where would you choose for points redemption?

Would you still pay any of these 3 hotels for cash instead of points and save the points for EU or NY trip or any other peak dates?

Hope the data provides better current condition.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:32 pm

For your dates (24/7-29/7), Aloft is Baht 15,000 total ( cheapest prepaid rate, including tax), so $500USD, give or take). For that you would earn around 6-7000 points as a titanium. Sometimes Aloft goes lower than that ( even close to 2,000) but rarely for weekend nights, as it’s popular with regional tourists. Five nights for 15,000 including tax is a pretty fair deal, although to get that rate you have to pay almost 7 months in advance. The other decent prepaid rates for your dates are the Westin (3,600) ,the ROS ( 2800) and Four Points (2,900), all before tax.
The only unknown is the potential for a category change in March. Who knows what that might bring.
Personally, I wouldn’t lock into a prepaid rate so far in advance. I would likely make a ‘best flexible rate’ booking and then monitor rates closer to the date.
I don’t believe there’s any reason to be fearful that rates will skyrocket: in my experience there are always a couple of decent choices even if others do get expensive ( eg, for a conference or major event).
thanks for your comments. May i know what’s your threshold for points redemption cents/point? Seems like you have a good judgment call on when to use points vs cash..

You mentioned aloft goes lower than that, closer to 2000, what do you mean by that? 2000 baht/night?

was there an announcment of a category change in March? I thought we just had one this year after the merger and including the introduction of peak and off season... another one?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:21 pm

Thanks for your replies folks. I did a little bit homework as below. So far, in order to better lock the redemption rate, i have reserved aloft and four points for 24-29/7, i can always reserve when i accumulate enough points by end of January for SGS if necessary to secure current redemption points.

Bangkok points:
1. Aloft - 47,500 points (14,950 baht = 496 USD for non refundable special rate); 1.04 c/point.
2. Four points sukhumvit - 67,500 (17,340 baht = 575 USD for non refundable prepaid rate); 0.85 c/point.
3. Sheraton Grande sukhumvit - 135,000 (28,572 baht = 948 USD for non refundable prepaid rate); 0.70 c/point.

If choosing the refundable rate, the cash rate is obviously higher which increase the c/point as most of you already know, but the above is just a basic guidance of where it is currently. The above also includes tax, etc.

As titanium, would you get free breakfast on top of welcome bonus points on these 3 hotels? Anyone knows? And, is the breakfast good or comperable for these 3?

Considering the breakfast options VS hotel services VS bed VS area and the above data, where would you choose for points redemption?

Would you still pay any of these 3 hotels for cash instead of points and save the points for EU or NY trip or any other peak dates?

Hope the data provides better current condition.
Of the 3 you list my ranking is 1- SGS, 2- Four Points and 3- Aloft.

1 - SGS: Variety of breakfast options (Where to eat) if you have status, attached to BTS and short walk to MRT, 7/11 just near entrance on road level, comfortable beds, bathroom with shower and bath.
As for the bad........ Nothing I can think of except no lounge but that is subjective as the options at SGS are better.

2 - Four Points: Only 1 breakfast option which is OK, located approximately half way between Nana and Asok BTS, beds are comfortable but not as comfortable as SGS, shower is small in majority of standard rooms, gym is very basic, TV service basic too but they have plans to improve it along with the Wi-Fi and if in the Garden Wing the rooms are very quiet.
The bad, if they have the pool party and you are in the Pool wing it can be annoyingly loud.

3 - Aloft: 1 breakfast option (need to confirm), about a 5 to 10 minute walk from Nana BTS, lively area with plenty of options for drinks etc., I found the beds too hard for me, majority of rooms with shower only but large enough, rooms feel a bit more cramped than Four Points and especially SGS.

If I had the budget it would be SGS every day of the week for me but I don't so four Points is my regular hotel and I have a preferred room which they have always had ready for me and early check in and late check out has never been a problem as I am usually on a 8PM departure from BKK.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat

Bangkok points:

I regularly stay at the Aloft. I like it and it suits my budget. It is deep into the Soi so a 6 or 7 minute walk to the BTS. I find the rooms comfortable and the breakfast is more than adequate in amount and variety for me. I usually manage to find a BRG rate around 2000 baht per night. I have never used points there as the cash rate is so cheap. I personally think the redemption rates for the LM or the Westin are the best value. I think the 4P is reasonable and the breakfast is marginally better than Aloft. SGS is overhyped on this forum. The breakfast is certainly extensive and its a nice hotel but in my opinion I prefer the LM or PA but lots of people have their own preferences.

I am pretty sure all will give you breakfast as titanium in lieu of points.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by mrfreezetas
Of the 3 you list my ranking is 1- SGS, 2- Four Points and 3- Aloft.

1 - SGS: Variety of breakfast options (Where to eat) if you have status, attached to BTS and short walk to MRT, 7/11 just near entrance on road level, comfortable beds, bathroom with shower and bath.
As for the bad........ Nothing I can think of except no lounge but that is subjective as the options at SGS are better.

2 - Four Points: Only 1 breakfast option which is OK, located approximately half way between Nana and Asok BTS, beds are comfortable but not as comfortable as SGS, shower is small in majority of standard rooms, gym is very basic, TV service basic too but they have plans to improve it along with the Wi-Fi and if in the Garden Wing the rooms are very quiet.
The bad, if they have the pool party and you are in the Pool wing it can be annoyingly loud.

3 - Aloft: 1 breakfast option (need to confirm), about a 5 to 10 minute walk from Nana BTS, lively area with plenty of options for drinks etc., I found the beds too hard for me, majority of rooms with shower only but large enough, rooms feel a bit more cramped than Four Points and especially SGS.

If I had the budget it would be SGS every day of the week for me but I don't so four Points is my regular hotel and I have a preferred room which they have always had ready for me and early check in and late check out has never been a problem as I am usually on a 8PM departure from BKK.
thanks for your explanation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.