Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Originally Posted by HappyCheesehead
I was NOT charged any taxes on my points stay room. We were there 10 days and checked out 2/19/15.
Great, thank you. What did you think of that hotel? I am still hesitating between this one and the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sorka
Great, thank you. What did you think of that hotel? I am still hesitating between this one and the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa.
There is nothing to hesitate about. The Mauna Kea is 20 times better than the Waikoloa Marriott. If there is space available book now
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
There is nothing to hesitate about. The Mauna Kea is 20 times better than the Waikoloa Marriott. If there is space available book now
LNF rate at the Marriott @ $90 per night vs. $300 at the Mauna Kea ... that's not 20x but a tough one for sure.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not tough for me at ALL
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
That's not tough for me at ALL
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the end a beach in Hawaii is all good. And if I've got an extra couple hundred bucks in my pocket to spend, even better.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:39 am

I've noticed that the hotel website doesn't appear to be taking any reservations beyond 12/17/15. I'm wondering if they only have a one year contract with Marriott.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alchook
I've noticed that the hotel website doesn't appear to be taking any reservations beyond 12/17/15. I'm wondering if they only have a one year contract with Marriott.
IIRC when I went to make reservations for my parents last year, the website showed no availability for the following year. I ended up calling and had no trouble, I think it's website issues.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The Mauna Kea seems to be for an older crowd (I am 30), and the photos of the hotel are not mind blowing... The Waikoloa looks nice on paper to me. I just want a nice beach and a nice pool to relax.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by sorka
The Mauna Kea seems to be for an older crowd (I am 30), and the photos of the hotel are not mind blowing... The Waikoloa looks nice on paper to me. I just want a nice beach and a nice pool to relax.
The Mauna Kea does attract an older crowd. However the beach that fronts it the best on the Big Island in my opinion and I don't think anyone would disagree that it better than A-Bay by the Marriott. The pool is nothing special but neither is the one at the Marriott.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:39 pm

how to get LNF rate

Originally Posted by cfischer
LNF rate at the Marriott @ $90 per night vs. $300 at the Mauna Kea ... that's not 20x but a tough one for sure.
that's a great rate for the Marriott - can you offer guidance on how to acquire it? - the Marriott site is showing about 150 for early December, which is typically "low season" there
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
IIRC when I went to make reservations for my parents last year, the website showed no availability for the following year. I ended up calling and had no trouble, I think it's website issues.
I called to make reservations for 12/17 to 12/23. They confirmed that the hotel has no availability for those dates.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
This is truly good news for Mr and Mrs Slpybear! We Love the Hapuna Prince, but would love their neighbor just as much!

Originally Posted by Horace
The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel seems to have appeared quietly on Marriott.com as a future Autograph Collection property -- without any press release so far. I have to believe that there will be publicity boasting of this major coup when the time is right. After all, this is a significant boost to the Autograph Collection brand because the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is a renowned property.

For example, here's a snippet from a recent article, Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Receives Spot on Gold List:
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel has been named as one of 100 favorite hotels in the world by the Condé Nast Traveler’s 2015 Gold List, which is comprised of the magazine editors’ favorite hotels in the world.

The resort, who will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2015, is one of only three Hawai’i hotels that was named on the list and is the only Big Island hotel represented.
The hotel has website about its 50th anniversary: Timeless Mauna Kea | 50th Anniversary

As a Category 7 property, this should be very popular with Marriott Rewards members. I'm already wondering if we should change our 2015 vacation plans.

This will be the second Prince Hotel to join the Autograph Collection. The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo is already the The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection. I wonder if more Price properties will follow?

I am thrilled to see the Autograph Collection expanding with top properties like this.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:27 am

The property is now a Category 8.

My reservation I had for June has increased in points required... I was waiting to collect points for it.

Is there a way to pay the original points required? I put in a request with Marriott.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cwebjohn
The property is now a Category 8.

My reservation I had for June has increased in points required... I was waiting to collect points for it.

Is there a way to pay the original points required? I put in a request with Marriott.
When you have the points required call and they will issue the cert under the old points structure. this happens all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.