Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by lucycan
I do still see ocean rooms left, however. Fingers crossed!
No upgrade is always a risk in Hawaii, especially for longer stays. I suspect US summer vacations are particularly tough here.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
No upgrade is always a risk in Hawaii, especially for longer stays. I suspect US summer vacations are particularly tough here.
Agreed. Not expecting, but still hoping .
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lalala
We're here now - on a virtuoso rate with absolutely no Marriott status. So far, so good.

We were upgraded to a beach wing with a ocean view. The bed is super comfortable and while the room is small - it is fine for this trip I like the beachy furnishings and colors used in the hotel So far we've spent most of of our first two days swimming and searching for shade on the vast expanse of the lawn. I love the beach and the waves, but the beach is so devoid of shade.

The pool is really small and I haven't had a chance to check it out.

I do love the vibe of this hotel - I wish there were more food offerings. The Manta is great for breakfast (included in our rate).The bar is lovely for sunset, but the food was pretty meh.

The Mauna Kea is a million times nicer than the Fairmont where we usually stay.

While we have no Marriott status - the other hotel we stay out with fair regularity in Hawaii is the Ritz Kapalua, so go figure.

lala
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. Glad you're having fun!

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
I've got an upcoming stay in July. I'm plat...two rooms as there are four of us. Are our chances of getting a room upgrade shot because we have two rooms (connecting rooms)? Also, although I spent 30 minutes with the Marriott folks making sure we would have connecting rooms...should I still be concerned? Is there anything else I should do?
Old May 18, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A request for connecting rooms makes it very unlikely that you will be upgraded in my experience. As soon as my kids got old enough I stopped requesting that and our upgrade percentage on our room increased dramatically.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I had the exact same issue in March. I did end up with an upgrade on our connecting rooms but it was an act of God. Don't expect it.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:56 am

We're here now. You could easily be upgraded with the occupancy less than 50%. We received a fantastic ocean front upgrade as Platinum on points, supplemented by a back-to-back paid reservation...BUT, in July, it will be high occupancy. Your chances are slim to maintain connecting rooms and getting both upgraded. Ymmv...cheers.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by jeepie
We're here now. You could easily be upgraded with the occupancy less than 50%. We received a fantastic ocean front upgrade as Platinum on points, supplemented by a back-to-back paid reservation...BUT, in July, it will be high occupancy. Your chances are slim to maintain connecting rooms and getting both upgraded. Ymmv...cheers.
I was afraid of that...but not the end of the world. We are going for the beach not the room...more important that my teenage daughters room is connected. Stayed at the Hapuna about 10 years ago and I've wanted to stay at the Mauna Kea ever since.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:27 am

Whomever stays there next, can you confirm that the info in the wiki is correct? The last update was a year ago. Thx!

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:02 pm

Wiki update

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Whomever stays there next, can you confirm that the info in the wiki is correct? The last update was a year ago. Thx!

Cheers.
We were also offered 500 MR points in lieu of $10 F&B credit (took the $10).
Valet parking $20 per day, self park $15 per day.
Everything else matches up (although nothing to report on number of occupants allowed). Cheers.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by jeepie
We were also offered 500 MR points in lieu of $10 F&B credit (took the $10).
Valet parking $20 per day, self park $15 per day.
Everything else matches up (although nothing to report on number of occupants allowed). Cheers.
Thanks for the update. I'll add the parking info to the wiki.

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Beachfront vs Oceanfront room?

Planning a 5 night points stay in late January. Mr. Tours is platinum, but not counting on an upgrade at this property. Instead looking at the cash upgrades The "beachfront" rooms are lower in price than the "oceanfront" rooms. Can anyone describe the difference? If you have stayed in one or the other, what did you like/dislike?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
Planning a 5 night points stay in late January. Mr. Tours is platinum, but not counting on an upgrade at this property. Instead looking at the cash upgrades The "beachfront" rooms are lower in price than the "oceanfront" rooms. Can anyone describe the difference? If you have stayed in one or the other, what did you like/dislike?
They will give you Golf Vista if staying on points. While probably pleasant, we work hard at getting a view/easy access to the beach when in Hawaii. We prefer the beachfront rooms, first floor, because we can walk straight out onto the expansive lawn and the beach. The downside for some could be the fact that these rooms are in the southern wing, and therefore a longer trek to restaurants and the lobby. Also, the view from the oceanfront rooms is more panoramic. Ymmv.
We stayed there in May, 7 nights on points (Platinum too). We added two paid nights in beachfront, first floor, then requested that they "combine" the reservations so we wouldn't have to move. Calling ahead didn't help (as expected, they don't want to be pinned down when occupancy could change), but as the date approached, I called MR and asked them if they would kindly call the hotel. They did, and we got what we wanted. Btw, January should work for you, as I would expect they won't be full. Personally, I would NOT pay in advance for a room upgrade. You can always work something out (cash and/or points) upon arrival, if they aren't full. They have told me several times they go out of their way to satisfy Platinum MR members. Here is a description of the room categories:

http://www.princeresortshawaii.com/m...php#categories

Hope that helps. Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
Stayed July 5th for 7 nights on points as Plat and was upgraded to Beach View. We loved it...I suspect the vantage point of the Ocean view rooms is awesome but we spent all our time on the beach (i think our new favorite) so it didn't matter. The beach front is super close the ocean view is gonna be a little every day.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
anyone knows how strict they are about maximum 3 people per room? I want to take 2 of us adults and a 2.5 yrs old todler and a 1 yr old infant there next Oct. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.