Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Kameha Grand Zurich, Autograph Collection (Switzerland) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Just noticed on the Marriott website the first Autograph Collection is opening in the spring of 2015 in Switzerland.

Too soon to know what category yet, but I'm assuming a high one. The suites sound rather fun.

"When opened in spring 2015, the new 245-room Kameha Grand Zurich will represent the first Autograph Collection hotel to open in Switzerland. Featuring stunning architecture and world class interior design by acclaimed Dutch designer Marcel Wanders. The hotel is widely recognized for its eleven “themed” suites exclusively designed for the hotel by Wanders, including a “Poker Face” suite with roulette and poker tables and a “Serenity” suite featuring special lighting and select yoga and wellness accessories. John Licence added, “With its creative design and playful personality, Kameha Grand Zurich truly captures the spirit of Autograph Collection.”

The hotel boasts three unique options for dining: Restaurant L’Unico featuring fresh homemade pasta and Italian specialties prepared in an open show-kitchen; fine dining Japanese restaurant Yu Nijo; and the Puregold Bar. As a fun twist, the hotel features its own shisha lounge, offering a robust line of full-flavored Arabic shisha and tobacco.

Widely known for its world-class shopping, dining and entertainment, Zurich has become increasingly well recognized as an international art destination, offering more than 100 art galleries, making the city among the top ten gallery cities in the art trade."

Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Interesting news - the already-existing Kameha Grand Bonn is a very unique property. The developer of that concept is also reported to be opening the Bonn Marriott hotel in the UN-campus, so seeing this become a Autograph property may be the first step to all hotels of that developer eventually become affiliated with Marriott...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Is this the company?

"The hotel will be operated by Kameha Grand Glattpark Betriebsgeselleschaft mbH."
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
This is just the local operating entity - developer is the LH&E AG which is based in Zug (Switzerland) and the parent company of the GmbH you mentioned (as well as the parent company for the Kameha Grand Bonn). See the reference to both here.

I would really like to see the Kameha Grand Bonn also to join as an Autograph property as it is a very nice hotel with an exceptional location directly on the banks of the river Rhine - and they have a lot of nice ideas so that locals also frequent this place to enjoy their F&B-outlets...makes for a very nice mix between visitors and locals.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Tried searching around any idea when this is set to open?
Was considering booking two nights in April but if the hotel is just going to be delayed or "working out the kinks" maybe not.

Also, what's the area (Glattpark) like?

Last edited by JVPhoto; Jan 18, 2015 at 4:02 pm
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.kamehagrandzuerich.com/en/home

Says it open Mar 1
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Category 7. I actually got a Pointsavers night which is a first for me with MR. Unfortunately, I need two nights and they are blocking check-in on the first night of my visit. I have contacted the hotel to ask them to change the reservation as only the hotel would have the power to open the inventory and make the change. It is not just reward bookings, it is all bookings that are blocked.

There are some relatively low rates and promos until April 30th and then things start to get usual expensive in the summer.

You can access the booking engine via the website mentioned earlier, but I was able to see this property on the Marriott.co.uk site (not the main site).

Rasheed
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:12 am
Original Poster

When you stay there, please do a trip report afterwards. Look forward to it! Thx.

Cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
interested as well. Please post a report! While the new Ren is fine I am always looking for additional options in ZRH. Nice to have one close to the 10 tram to the airport again after the original Ren closed.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Well, just booked this property for 3 nights next week. I'm game for a review, but it will be my first. What sort of things shall I look for?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frontrangeFF
Well, just booked this property for 3 nights next week. I'm game for a review, but it will be my first. What sort of things shall I look for?
Elite recognition? Upgrades? Lounge? How are the rooms/bathrooms? How is breakfast? Access/Parking? Service? Unpublished amenities?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Announcement on Marriott's website re: the property; officially open. Also bookable on marriott.com now. Location is 15 minutes from Zurich Old Town & 6 from airport. 11 suites each decorated with different themes. Has a cigar lounge, spa, gourmet restaurant, free wifi.

http://news.marriott.com/2015/03/aut...l-opening.html

Cheers.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:57 pm

Sadly, the property now wants to bump me out of even the one night have reserved. They did reach out proactively which is nice, but I am not sure how this will turn out. If i showed up, they would have to refund the points, find an alternative place and the cash payment. I don't think I will be able to do that in reality because of the heads-up, but let's see what they are able to determine. I asked to see how they could improve my stay at another property in the meantime if I can't stay at Kameha.

I will likely stay at Marriott Zurich in central area (on points).

Rasheed
Old May 14, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
Sadly, the property now wants to bump me out of even the one night have reserved. They did reach out proactively which is nice, but I am not sure how this will turn out. If i showed up, they would have to refund the points, find an alternative place and the cash payment. I don't think I will be able to do that in reality because of the heads-up, but let's see what they are able to determine. I asked to see how they could improve my stay at another property in the meantime if I can't stay at Kameha.

I will likely stay at Marriott Zurich in central area (on points).

Rasheed
contact corporate and have them rebook you at the Marriott w/ the same rate.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:20 pm

MI Elite Guarantee

Originally Posted by cfischer
contact corporate and have them rebook you at the Marriott w/ the same rate.
So, I did reach out to MI, and if you look at the Gold Elite Guarantee ($200, refund of night, alternate free accommodations and 90k points) - this is a rather expensive proposition from a property perspective to 'walk' the reservation.

Naturally, the best option for the hotel was to reinstate my reservation (the rare point saver). So, I will be visiting this property for one night and they also reached out to the other Zurich Marriott I am staying at for the first night and made some significant improvements to my reservation there as well. They made many apologies, but in the end, they actually improved my Zurich reservations more than I expected (and to make it worthwhile to switch properties I think).

So, this is going to hopefully be a fun party in Zurich. I will do a property report as I have done for other properties and provide updates after the trip.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.