Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Kameha Grand Zurich, Autograph Collection (Switzerland) [Master Thread]

Kameha Grand Zurich, Autograph Collection (Switzerland) [Master Thread]

Old May 20, 2015, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update on the resolution & look forward to the update after your stay.

Cheers.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Here is a mini-review. The hotel supposedly opened on March 1, 2015. Check-in is at small free standing workstations, rather than a long front desk. The elevator is controlled by your room key from outside the elevator. There are no floor buttons to push once inside the elevator. There is no lounge. For platinum breakfast, they offered a "breakfast bag" where you can choose 3 breakfast items and get it in a bag, rather than a sit down breakfast. It didn't sound that great, so I chose extra 750 points. As a platinum premier, I was upgraded to a "larger room" but not a suite. I didn't specifically ask for a suite at check-in. The rooms are still fairly small, as with most European hotel rooms, but functional. There is a separate bathtub and shower in the bathroom. No iron or ironing board in the room, which is a negative. Free WiFi up to 5 devices for Gold/PLT. There is a Nespresso coffee maker and two complementary bottled water. Small fridge and a standard safe in the room. There were a couple of bathrobes and an umbrella to use, which may come in handy in Zurich. Lighting control is electronic instead of switches, so a bit tricky in figuring out which lights turn on/off. Otherwise nice decor, but disappointed with the room size, even for an "upgraded" room.

Last edited by Time traveller; May 26, 2015 at 5:34 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated. The breakfast bag thing sounds strange - does it come w/ juice or coffee or are those part of the 3 things?

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 27, 2015 at 10:52 am
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Grand Kameha, Zurich

MR Notes: So, the challenge is there has to be a way to get these properties to understand the Marriott system while not being a Marriott property. A lot of work is needed in the brand requirements for this location even though they have staff from other MI properties. I did not initially get the room I was promised (Serenity Suite), but after insisting that it was their commitment, they did rectify the situation (although it took a number of hours). The ‘to go’ breakfast does not meet Elite guarantee standards. I hope this got fixed for Elites after me, but there is NO WAY their junk food snacks would qualify for the breakfast standard. It does come with your choice of juice or coffee. Essentially, MR is telling me internationally, no lounge, then breakfast in the restaurant. This location has no lounge and is not doing free breakfast in the lounge either (at least as of when I was there). A team member came up to me and did offer restaurant breakfast when I looked confused selecting the junk food items, but at that point I did not take up the offer so I couldn’t tell you about the breakfast in the restaurant.

Review: First, let me say, I get the trendy concept. I know what they are trying to do. No check-in desk, just a few kiosks. So, it is the small details that make this location unique from hallway lighting that is motion-sensored to fake hardcover novels used to direct guests to the room. I happen to stay in a suite (Diva one). To try and have the experience, fine, but probably lacking in terms of being a good standard hotel room. It has too much of a lower budget aloft feeling than a W feeling like it should have (ironic how I am using Starwood comparisons). I did see their spa area which has showers and treatments. The gym is interesting mostly for the fact that on the television in the workout area they had a video loop of a cartoon hamster on a wheel. Oh, they have Moulton Brown toiletries which doesn’t seem very common in hotel chains (in fact, they have the bottles attached to the various dispensers in the room and elsewhere because they don’t have small bottles). If you are vacationing in Zurich, go to Marriott Zurich, skip this property. I have done the work for you to check this place out.

Nearby: Not a good situation. This is a business park. Very close to the airport, but no airport shuttle. Even Zurich Tourism Board was shocked by this situation. The tram is convenient (in the middle of the street style), but not a main line, so it is of limited use.

Other tips: Take in the atmosphere and enjoy the hip hotel in a not so hip area, but it was an okay deal on a Pointsaver stay (my first one in the MR program) – hotel is popular with tour groups already apparently.

Rasheed
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like the other property is a better option.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:44 pm

I've stayed at the Kameha three times in the last three months, five nights each time. I'm a Marriott Platinum member based on my UA GS status. I travel to ZRH about five times a year to visit my employer's corp HQ near the Glatt shopping mall (about six tram stops, 10 minutes, away on the 12 tram).

The Kameha is great for what I need, which is a great business class hotel reasonably close to my corp HQ. I haven't found anything comparable to this hotel unless you go into the city. I would rather stay near the office and go into downtown ZRH at night for dinner (which we do most nights), than stay in downtown ZRH and go into the office every morning. I found the hotel restaurant (L'Unico?) to be quite good for nights that I didn't want to "go out" for dinner.

Regarding breakfast... as a Marriott Platinum, all three times I've stayed there, I was given the option at check-in between points and the breakfast buffet, and I've always chosen the buffet. I consider to to be very good, albeit expensive (CHF49) if you have to pay for it. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, I was also allowed to bring a guest to the buffet. I think that's SOP for Marriott Platinum members if the hotel doesn't have a lounge.

I was given a room upgrade (without asking) each time I was there, although never to a suite. The rooms I've stayed in were fairly large based on my European hotel experience (which isn't all that extensive). The rooms have been very nice, albeit with some odd decor, and "moving walls". The rooms are very quiet, even when my room faced the main street.

The staff has always been extremely friendly and very competent. Several of them now know me by name, including the host at the breakfast buffet.

The hotel is a six minute walk from the 10/11/12 tram stops (Glattpark?). Five stops from the airport. About 30 minutes to the main train station in ZRH on the 10 tram. A little faster if you can time the 12 tram to the Wallisellen train station to get a train to central ZRH without much wait. I take the trams almost everywhere, so I'm pleased with that mode of transportation. Although last week, the weather was so bad (cold/windy/rain/snow) I strongly considered getting a taxi to the office.

Each time I've been there, they have had an option where you can agree to not have maid service for up to three days in return for a CHF10 credit per day towards the hotel bar or restaurant.

One thing me (and my co-workers who have stayed there) agreed on... the toilet area is in a small "nook" in the corner of the bathroom. When you are sitting on the toilet taking care of business, there's a full length mirror on the wall directly opposite of you, a couple of feet away. There's some things I could have gone my entire lifetime without seeing. That's one of them.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed trip report! Much appreciated. I'll update the exec lounge sticky re: brekkie.

Cheers.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:49 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Plat, BAEC Silver, TP Gold
Well location for this hotel is peculiar indeed because it's not in Zurich per se. It's in Opfikon which is a suburb of Zurich but hey, Swiss cities are not that big anyway. It is indeed located in an area where lots of HQs and offices are situates so I would see this hotel more suited for business people than for families who want to enjoy a city break.

Once you figure out the tram network, it's fairly easy to get downtown Zurich. If you want direct access but don't mind the longer ride (25-30min), take the tram 10 or 11 until Bahnhofplatz or Bahnhofquai respectively.
If you want to be a bit faster but don't mind the one time change, take the same trams but only until Oerlikon station (where you would find the CY) and catch one of the many S-Bahn trains to the main station. This method will still take about 20 minutes though.

For the airport, take trams 10 or 12 and it takes less than 10min.

You can't really compare the rates of the Kameha and the Marriott in town, there's a bit of a price difference for the price sensitive travelers. The Kameha is more in line with the Renaissance, which is also not downtown but near Technopark (Kreis 5) with a faster connection to the main station through the Hardbrcke station.

If rates were equal, I would stay at the Renaissance for sure.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enelym1978
If rates were equal, I would stay at the Renaissance for sure.
Depends on what you look for - I like the rooms at the Kameha substantially more than those at the Renaissance, and the Suites they have beat any Suite I have been at the Renaissance hands down.

I also feel that breakfast at the Kameha is a little more "upscale" than the breakfast at the Renaissance which is more standard/basic - the live-cooking station at the Kameha in their open kitchen might have something to do with that.

The only part where the Renaissance is leading is the fact it has a lounge with somewhat decent offerings (especially compared to the Sheraton across the street which only has an alibi-version of a lounge) whereas the Kameha does not have a lounge at all...

Thus in my valuation of things I prefer the Kameha over the Renaissance when rates are the same - and usually I can get the Kameha for (sometimes a lot) less than the Renaissance.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
No updates in this thread since 2017.
Is this hotel still without a lounge ?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
Hi est-gratuite
I stayed there last week. Nice hotel, still no lounge but a great breakfast. Super easy to and from airport.
-sr
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody recently stayed at this property?

Is the breakfast a sit down at the restaurant or a "breakfast bag" like reported a few years ago?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Anybody recently stayed at this property?

Is the breakfast a sit down at the restaurant or a "breakfast bag" like reported a few years ago?
BF is in the restaurant.

Once of the best redemptions in the system ... can't believe they are not going up in 2020 either
Old May 26, 2020, 2:57 pm

Just had a quick stay at this property last weekend. Got perhaps the best AAA discount I've ever seen...almost 40% off (resulting room rate CHF 89/night). Hotel is as described by the previous posters. A couple of nits (YMMV):
  • No washcloths available in the bathroom
  • Very low water pressure in the shower
  • Removing the room key from the slot not only turns off the lights but the fridge as well (!)
  • One of the window/doors in the room was broken and couldn't be closed
  • Asked for and did not receive a suite upgrade, despite the hotel being virtually empty
On the plus side, staff could not have been more helpful. Full buffet breakfast in the restaurant as a LT Titanium, and I was not charged for parking (posted price CHF 30/night). Choice of 1,000 Bonvoy points or a CHF 10 F&B credit as the welcome amenity.

All in all, I'd prefer the Renaissance if costs were equal (and if the Ren was open). Both are more reasonably priced than the Marriott.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.