Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Ever since I contacted the GM about my serious concerns about the lack of responsiveness by the concierge team, things have vastly improved. Not only did the team confirm a res at 3* Nakamura before the res window even opened, but they also confirmed 2* Gion Sasaki for us as soon as that window opened. They’ve also arranged private tours in Kyoto and to Himeji Castle for us.

At this point, very pleased. Finally the same level of service and responsiveness as I’d been enjoying from the very impressive Suiran Luxury Collection concierge team.
bhrubin put the fear of Ambassador 100 into this hotel.
Honestly, upper management needed to be alerted about bad apples in the concierge service. I'm glad it's gotten better and hope it stays that way!

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
Does anyone know if this property will have any issues with accommodating 2 kids (age 1 and 4) and 2 adults in the standard room? It is technically outside the maximum occupancy level indicated for the room which is 3. thanks.
Talk to them. I can't imagine it would be a problem. I'm sure Japanese families stay together all the time.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Does anyone know if this property will have any issues with accommodating 2 kids (age 1 and 4) and 2 adults in the standard room? It is technically outside the maximum occupancy level indicated for the room which is 3. thanks.
Based on own experience in Dec. 2016: No problem as long the children are 12 or younger. Book for 2 and call them to inform that you’ll arrive with 2 children.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:02 pm

I am in the same boat so I am going to email ritz kyoto and see if they will allow me to use the 7 night tier 5 reward certificate with 2 adults and 2 kids under 5 in the same room. Will report back!

Ritz said yes, you can have TWO kids and TWO adults per reward room. We are going to book for next March. It will cost $13000 USD for 7 nights if we were going to pay but we will be using the tier 5 SEVEN night certificate.

Last edited by musicscrip; Mar 21, 2018 at 11:28 am Reason: Got an answer from Ritz
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:17 pm

Update on the Kyoto Concierge:

I sent an email yesterday night at 8:00 PM EST time about reservations and had received a reply when I woke up at 6 AM EST. The concierge was extremely helpful - took into account the Ryokan's we were staying at and the meals we would receive there and gave us really helpful advice, along with a long list of restaurants with descriptions to look over. So far so good!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Phenomenal stay -- looking at my point redemption stays across the world, this would rank easily in the top 3 in my book. My only regret was not staying much longer than our two night stint passing through Kyoto. (The review is somewhat overdue as this was a stay in November.)

The hotel seemed quite crowded while we were there, but you wouldn't have known by how we got treated. Whisked to a chair for a very personal check-in experience. When he discovered we were there for a very special, personal occasion, we were placed in a beautiful deluxe room overlooking the river and, magically, given complimentary breakfast for our stay. Although I'm an RC Platinum, this was certainly an unexpected treat!

The room was very comfortable and had one of those special Super King size beds, which itself felt larger than our bedroom in our old flat in London when we were younger. Both mornings, we absolutely loved waking up and sitting at the table overlooking the river while we sipped our Nespresso. Front the comfortable seating areas, to the art in the room (and throughout the hotel), to the beautiful china, to the general sense of peace throughout -- honestly, it felt we were staying in a home, not a hotel.

Service throughout our stay was fantastic, with one relatively minor issue. At breakfast, they came by with champagne one morning to help us celebrate -- completely unexpected and out of the blue. The food quality was top notch. The only slight disappointment was a quick dinner bite after a long day out at the cafe/bistro in the lobby. The portions were small and pricey for what they were, and our server mixed up our drinks order twice (not terribly complex, mind you, since it was a wine right off the short by-the-glass menu) and then after fixing it, still billed us for the wrong drinks in the end. When pointed out, she was very apologetic and fixed it immediately. The concierge was spot on and gave great directions to Arimayahsi for the day, as well as booking us in at a unique tofu restaurant there in town.

As we packed up to take the train to Tokyo after two days we couldn't help but already be looking forward to returning!

More photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskMbUs6j
Thanks for sharing. You took amazing photos and now I can't wait ti visit this hotel for a week next March!

We will be using points for 2 rooms for 7 nights at Ritz Kyoto and I asked about upgrading to garden view (5000yen plus taxes and fees per night per room) or luxury river (40000yen per night plus taxes and fees per night per room). Did you get a free upgrade or you had to pay as well? Because I saw other ppl's photo online that if just a room using reward stay, the view is actually just buildings (and pretty close up to!)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:31 am

Another update on the RC Kyoto Concierge:

Had emailed about a month ago inquiring on making dinner reservations. Finally sent back our choices with our info. They responded within 24 hours with a confirmation for Kikunoi. We are also going to try Gion Mikuka based off the reservation from the Concierge, but as they don't take reservations this far out they said they have noted it and will call when the restaurant opens for reservations. A wonderful and easy interaction! We are so looking forward to our stay.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:32 am

has anyone stayed at this hotel with 2 adults and 3 children under 9 in a single room? I think I am really pushing it. It has been ok at hilton/conrad in tokyo/osaka but I've never tried with Ritz.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Alan Tai
has anyone stayed at this hotel with 2 adults and 3 children under 9 in a single room? I think I am really pushing it. It has been ok at hilton/conrad in tokyo/osaka but I've never tried with Ritz.
If you pay for upgrade to a bigger room, I don't see it a problem unless it's a fire regulation thing in the city. I was told I can either have 2 kids under 12 free in my room or 3rd adult free in my room when I booked my 7 night reward stay for end of March 2019. Always good to email them and have something in writing so I always just email hotels with all my questions.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:53 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Glad to hear of positive (mostly) experiences at this hotel. We'll be staying there during the first week of June. On the Marriott/Ritz website, our reserved room is called "Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, City view". Does anyone know if this room has a view of the river or the cemetery?

And kind of off-topic, but I've never understood why oversized king beds are considered a good thing (unless you're huge, then understandable), especially in luxury hotels. Lol, people want to be far apart from their partner? Also, the room will appear that much larger with a smaller bed footprint, no?
Old May 22, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, HH G, IHG P, Hyatt P
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Glad to hear of positive (mostly) experiences at this hotel. We'll be staying there during the first week of June. On the Marriott/Ritz website, our reserved room is called "Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, City view". Does anyone know if this room has a view of the river or the cemetery?

And kind of off-topic, but I've never understood why oversized king beds are considered a good thing (unless you're huge, then understandable), especially in luxury hotels. Lol, people want to be far apart from their partner? Also, the room will appear that much larger with a smaller bed footprint, no?
You will not have a view of the river unless they choose to upgrade you. From what I have seen the river view rooms cost about 20-30% more than the deluxe room when paying cash.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:39 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
New Expert Review of RC Kyoto

For anyone interested, I just posted my Expert Review of the RC Kyoto in the Luxury Hotels Forum (Luxury Hotels of Japan) from our 2 night award stay just a week ago. We were upgraded to the Suite Kamogawa. The RC Kyoto was one of 4 hotels at which we stayed; the others were the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, the Suiran Kyoto, and St Regis Osaka. I posted Expert Reviews for all.

The review is at this link:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post29793035

We were very impressed with the RC. We also saw the FS and definitely preferred the RC. We did prefer Suiran over the RC, but that is as much about the Arashiyama location as it is about the more unique character and boutique size of Suiran.

Last edited by bhrubin; May 27, 2018 at 1:06 am
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
For those that took day trips from Kyoto, where did you go? Have already seen the shrines and temples, am thinking of places like Arashiyama, Amanohashidate, etc. by train during a week at the property...

Last edited by msp3; Jun 8, 2018 at 4:10 am
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:15 am

We loved this hotel. The location was perfect, both central and the proximity to the Kamogawa River for relatively peaceful walks was a key drawing card.
I'd definitely spring for a river view. The rooms were well appointed and clean/zen and supremely comfortable, without going to the Aman Tokyo extreme
of being cold and hard edged. We only had breakfast (the croissants mentioned previously are legendary) and room service (perfectly done), so cannot
comment much on F&B. We have been to Kyoto many times, and it's the first time I can say that our lodgings were key in making our visit so pleasant.
(and yes, we have been to Tawaraya, on a one and done basis.)

I digress to say that bicycles on the sidewalk has become a thing in Kyoto and, to some extent, everywhere we have been in Japan in the past two years
and it's a trend that I hope doesn't continue to explode.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mickidon

I digress to say that bicycles on the sidewalk has become a thing in Kyoto and, to some extent, everywhere we have been in Japan in the past two years
and it's a trend that I hope doesn't continue to explode.
We felt the same when visited Kyoto in late December 2017. However not as bad as it can be in some parts of London including sadly outside our front door which is in front of junction on a one way road. Lots of cyclist come at speed down the pavement.

Anyway going on topic we can't decide to if to go 5 star in Kyoto or Osaka at the end of this year early next and the RC does look a option if a more palatable rate comes along.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:37 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by flapland
...we can't decide to if to go 5 star in Kyoto or Osaka at the end of this year early next and the RC does look a option if a more palatable rate comes along.
If I understand you right and you’re trying to decide between Kyoto and Osaka, there is no question: stay in Kyoto.

I’m not much of a city fan, but Kyoto is spectacular; Osaka is merely pleasant. Kyoto has urban and suburban and surrounding remote areas in the mountains to offer whatever one might prefer. Kyoto has far more sights to see than most of the world’s major cities—spectacularly beautiful temples, shrines, and gardens that will take your breath away each time. Not to mention incredible dining! We stayed 7 nights in Kyoto, and we’ve stayed 5 nights in any city only twice before—both in Cape Town where we were married! We could have stayed longer in Kyoto and not have lacked things to still see and do. We spent 3 nights in Osaka and feel we saw what we wanted to see.

If you can, collect Chase Ultimate Rewards points and Marriott/SPG points en masse to stay at the Ritz Carlton or Suiran properties in Kyoto. Or consider paying less cash by choosing an advanced stay rate and/or staying at our favorite between the two, Suiran (Marriott/SPG Luxury Collection). We vastly preferred the more sedate Suiran location of Arashiyama on the outskirts of Kyoto over the more “central” and more touristy/busy RC location. We also preferred the more boutique, more authentic Japanese hybrid ryokan feeling that Suiran offered—while still being a Western style hotel.

That being said, we did love the RC—but we would return in a second to Suiran.

You also can consider saving money by using Ultimate Rewards/Hyatt points or spending cash for the Hyatt Regency Kyoto—what many consider to be the nicest Hyatt Regency in the world.

We also stayed at the StR Osaka and highly recommend it if service and food/beverage (especially lunch/dinner) are your top priorities—but the RC Kyoto is better. I’d also recommend the Conrad Osaka for the design and views, but the service and food/beverage are not 5 star. The IC Osaka is a good deal but lacks the pomp of the Conrad and the luxury service and 5 star levels of the StR.
WillTravel4Food likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 13, 2018 at 3:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.