Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by flapland
We felt the same when visited Kyoto in late December 2017. However not as bad as it can be in some parts of London including sadly outside our front door which is in front of junction on a one way road. Lots of cyclist come at speed down the pavement.

Anyway going on topic we can't decide to if to go 5 star in Kyoto or Osaka at the end of this year early next and the RC does look a option if a more palatable rate comes along.
May I suggest 5 nights at Osaka Marriott then 7 nights at Ritz Kyoto?

We spent 7 nights at Osaka Marriott last Dec for Christmas and loved it. We will be going back for a few nights there THEN 7 nights at Ritz Kyoto for end of March next year for cherry blossom all on points.
WillTravel4Food likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

If I understand you right and you’re trying to decide between Kyoto and Osaka, there is no question: stay in Kyoto.

I’m not much of a city fan, but Kyoto is spectacular; Osaka is merely pleasant. Kyoto has urban and suburban and surrounding remote areas in the mountains to offer whatever one might prefer. Kyoto has far more sights to see than most of the world’s major cities—spectacularly beautiful temples, shrines, and gardens that will take your breath away each time. Not to mention incredible dining! We stayed 7 nights in Kyoto, and we’ve stayed 5 nights in any city only twice before—both in Cape Town where we were married! We could have stayed longer in Kyoto and not have lacked things to still see and do. We spent 3 nights in Osaka and feel we saw what we wanted to see.

If you can, collect Chase Ultimate Rewards points and Marriott/SPG points en masse to stay at the Ritz Carlton or Suiran properties in Kyoto. Or consider paying less cash by choosing an advanced stay rate and/or staying at our favorite between the two, Suiran (Marriott/SPG Luxury Collection). We vastly preferred the more sedate Suiran location of Arashiyama on the outskirts of Kyoto over the more “central” and more touristy/busy RC location. We also preferred the more boutique, more authentic Japanese hybrid ryokan feeling that Suiran offered—while still being a Western style hotel.

That being said, we did love the RC—but we would return in a second to Suiran.

You also can consider saving money by using Ultimate Rewards/Hyatt points or spending cash for the Hyatt Regency Kyoto—what many consider to be the nicest Hyatt Regency in the world.

We also stayed at the StR Osaka and highly recommend it if service and food/beverage (especially lunch/dinner) are your top priorities—but the RC Kyoto is better. I’d also recommend the Conrad Osaka for the design and views, but the service and food/beverage are not 5 star. The IC Osaka is a good deal but lacks the pomp of the Conrad and the luxury service and 5 star levels of the StR.
We will be in Tokyo 5 nights and then Kyoto/Osaka area for 5 nights and as a final couple of nights stay considering which 5 star to stay hence considering both locations. The first 3 nights of our 5 night stay will be a more basic apartment hotel but certainly in Kyoto just up to and over New Year. I think Surian is certainly up there I have to admit as a option. I wish we could do all 5 nights but as a mear UK civil servant funds won't stretch. ;-)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by flapland
We will be in Tokyo 5 nights and then Kyoto/Osaka area for 5 nights and as a final couple of nights stay considering which 5 star to stay hence considering both locations. The first 3 nights of our 5 night stay will be a more basic apartment hotel but certainly in Kyoto just up to and over New Year. I think Surian is certainly up there I have to admit as a option. I wish we could do all 5 nights but as a mear UK civil servant funds won't stretch. ;-)
Understood. If Suiran is much cheaper than the RC Kyoto, I highly recommend it. We’d pay full price to stay again at Suiran. (That being said, we also really liked the RC. We just loved the Suiran more...and the Suiran boutique atmosphere and Arashiyama location a lot more.)

You can save money by staying in Osaka...but the sights are far better and more prevalent in Kyoto. It isn’t even close. So I’d recommend just staying in Kyoto if your budget allows.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Understood. If Suiran is much cheaper than the RC Kyoto, I highly recommend it. We’d pay full price to stay again at Suiran. (That being said, we also really liked the RC. We just loved the Suiran more...and the Suiran boutique atmosphere and Arashiyama location a lot more.)

You can save money by staying in Osaka...but the sights are far better and more prevalent in Kyoto. It isn’t even close. So I’d recommend just staying in Kyoto if your budget allows.
Currently have two separate one night bookings for R-C Kyoto over golden week next year. Hoping someone will open up an award bookable room at Suiran to replace of the two, however unlikely that is. Good to hear someone say it really is worth it since it's 20K more MR. Don't think I can handle the $1100 for one night though.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:29 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

We definitely liked Suiran more—but if the RC ends up being less points due to the current exchange rates between SPG and MR, the RC may be a better value for more people, I might guess. If you prefer more boutique or more of a “small town” vibe, you may prefer Suiran. But for 20K more points, and you don’t have a ton of points, the “cheaper” option will serve you fine, I’d say. Both hotels are wonderful.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by msp3
For those that took day trips from Kyoto, where did you go? Have already seen the shrines and temples, am thinking of places like Arashiyama, Amanohashidate, etc. by train during a week at the property...
We took a day trip to Hiroshima. It's an easy day trip via train.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by msp3
For those that took day trips from Kyoto, where did you go? Have already seen the shrines and temples, am thinking of places like Arashiyama, Amanohashidate, etc. by train during a week at the property...
There are so many more shrines, temples, and gardens you likely haven’t enjoyed that you may want to consider a few other options. There are many in the Arashiyama area (when we stayed at Suiran) that are amazing and far les crowded than in the RC environs: the Moss Temple and many others up in the mountains on that side of town were amazing. Even the small shrine within walking distance up above the Hoshinoya was wonderful and had amazing views. There also are amazing temples up north outside the city limits in the eastern and northern mountains that we enjoyed instead of staying near the RC. Don’t be afraid to see some of the outskirts of Kyoto!

Nara is an obvious day trip if you want more temples, and also to enjoy the wild but unafraid deer that roam the park near the major temples. I also highly recommend lunch at 3* Wayamamura—for about $56. Cheapest 3* meal we’ve ever enjoyed. It was fantastic.

You also can hit Osaka very easily...as well as many of the mountain and other small towns within an hour or two of Kyoto-Osaka. You can go further afield to Himeji or Hiroshima too.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Do they block dates for award redemptions here? Some nights in November I'm getting a message ""We’re sorry. This property is not taking redemption bookings at this time. You can either book a cash reservation or search for another property" despite there being base-level rooms available.

Cheers!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:20 am
kkl

Originally Posted by Gabrca
Do they block dates for award redemptions here? Some nights in November I'm getting a message ""We’re sorry. This property is not taking redemption bookings at this time. You can either book a cash reservation or search for another property" despite there being base-level rooms available.

Cheers!
Spring and Autumn is normally blocked during the peak period
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kkl
Thanks!
Will this restriction be taken away under the upcoming SPG-Marriott merger?

From the new Marriott website: "Our new Free Night Award Chart will offer you 6,500 participating hotels across all 29 participating brands — all with no blackout dates."
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by kkl
I booked March 21-28 for TWO rooms with the Marriott travel package 7 night certificate for 2019.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by kkl
My husband and I were able to book 4 nights at the Tokyo Ritz, and two at the Kyoto Ritz with points over a two week period in the middle of this November (2018). We finalized booking in May.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kkl
I just completed a 2 night award stay in May. You're in error. Also, the new Marriott Loyalty Program does not have blackout periods (though that doesn't preclude properties from limiting the number/category of rooms available for awards).
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:40 am
kkl

I was monitoring 'ultra peak' dates for last week of march to 1st week april for sakura. didnt seem to have any rooms come up. I managed to snag 20-25th march and 6-10th of april. that was the earliest april dates i could get.

RC tokyo, should not be a problem
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by kkl
I was monitoring 'ultra peak' dates for last week of march to 1st week april for sakura. didnt seem to have any rooms come up. I managed to snag 20-25th march and 6-10th of april. that was the earliest april dates i could get.

RC tokyo, should not be a problem
I was able to find reward rooms until March 31 2019 but I couldn't stay until then so I booked two rooms with points for March 21-28. The room rate for March 25 - 28 were showing at $1700 a night for me and it's higher than March 21-25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.