Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Is it normal for server to ask for tip at Sheraton Club Lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it normal for server to ask for tip at Sheraton Club Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, WS Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by puntamita
I am seriously gay as well.
As opposed to just normal gay?

The expectation of tipping is getting completely out of hand. Was at a Subway yesterday and used a credit card. The machine prompted me if I wanted to add a tip? When is doing the job you were hired for without expecting someone who is already paying your wage (the customer) expected to supplement it even further? I'm seriously straight and find that wrong. When I do tip at a restaurant it's usually 15-18%. I also tip bell men, Valets but not room attendants (is room maid politically correct? Our cleaning lady was offended that we called her our cleaning lady. What should I have called her?)
Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by KelownaGuy
As opposed to just normal gay?
Wouldn't the opposite of seriously be comically?

Was at a Subway yesterday and used a credit card. The machine prompted me if I wanted to add a tip?
My wife's attitude is "these minimum wage workers are handling your food", so she always tips at places like Starbucks.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I also tip bell men, Valets but not room attendants (is room maid politically correct? Our cleaning lady was offended that we called her our cleaning lady. What should I have called her?)
Some U.S. hotel properties classify room attendants as independent contractors (paid by room cleaned), not wage-earning employees (paid by the hour). Upon learning that I now make sure I tip the room attendant.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, National Exec Elite
This is the service industry... anyone can be tipped...

I just hate it when they explicitly ask for it, which puts me in an awkward feeling. Wish the industry profit shared properly so all the people are taken care of automatically so the guest doesn't need to be pressured of such things during stays.

And this is probably condescending of me..... Sorry... but most guests (especially FT folks) make a good living and folks working at these hotels generally are just scraping by day-to-day trying to feed their families. It's not like the employees are begging your money from the street. Especially the cleaning ladies, they probably get tipped by the fewest people and they have the shittiest role. Maybe a few bucks could have helped a grandma save up for a small toy for grandson, or send $ to family in another country, etc. It doesn't hurt me financially at all, especially since I travel for business / the company. Don't have to generous only during Christmas time... keeping the same mindset year round works too! Sometimes it may not even be the money... a gesture could brighten up their day!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by supatight80
Ok understood. So basically within limits then. Yah ive seen that many times and it didnt bother me one iota. And this is way OT, but on one experience i shall never forgot at sheraton malpensa last nov 2013, i saw a lady put a lot of food in her black handbag and when another guest saw what happened, she decided to 'hide' an opened champagne bottle inside her jacket and immediately left with her husband. (Self service lounge, no one manning the station).

I kinda thought it was really tacky to do so, especially the champagne bottle bit. Was my impression of what occurred unjustified?
While we are OT you should be aware that the Lounge at the Sheraton Malpensa did not sign that it is forbidden to take food or drinks away. The lounges in Germany general have signs that it is forbidden...

BTW: Malpensa did not offer champagne. And that kind of " self service " seems to be quite normal. One time I have seen there a guy who came into the lounge take four or five cans out of the fridge went to his room and returns some minutes later for the next time and the next cans...

Last stay there was permanent staff in the evening.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Some U.S. hotel properties classify room attendants as independent contractors (paid by room cleaned), not wage-earning employees (paid by the hour). Upon learning that I now make sure I tip the room attendant.
Many really do get a raw deal. I've chatted with room attendants (or whatever you want to call them) in 5 star Dubai hotels, and they regularly work 12 hour shifts 6 days a week, sometimes more. Any tip you give them, even a $1 is greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
1. In lounges, if I get good service or the attendant is genuinely friendly, I'll leave a few bucks.

2. At the Sheraton Sand Key, they have a good lounge with lots of fruit & hot items in AM and free booze in PM. The attendants there are VERY friendly and provide very good service (cleaning your plates when done, serving bowls of chips, etc) and they know us by name. I leave $5 each time I go to the lounge as I feel I'm receiving a great value (breakfast for 4 or drinks and snacks for 2) and they're providing excellent service. They now pay extra special attention to me, packing up little care packages for my kids without asking.

3. On housekeeping... If I'm there one night, I don't usually tip. If I'm there multiple nights, I'll usually get green choice but may leave a few bucks at the end. However, I do tend to clean my room before leaving.

If I'm at a resort (on vaca w family) that does not offer green choice, I'll leave $5 a day. When I do this, they tend to give a little more (more towels, more cups, piles of mints, all the water I can drink, etc). Worth the value seeing I'm usually staying on points anyway.

4. On expecting a tip... If you give me a receipt with a zero balance and you did nothing but print out the receipt, you get $0.00.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
While we are OT you should be aware that the Lounge at the Sheraton Malpensa did not sign that it is forbidden to take food or drinks away. The lounges in Germany general have signs that it is forbidden...

BTW: Malpensa did not offer champagne. And that kind of " self service " seems to be quite normal. One time I have seen there a guy who came into the lounge take four or five cans out of the fridge went to his room and returns some minutes later for the next time and the next cans...

Last stay there was permanent staff in the evening.
I remember it being champagne as there were champagne glasses and i distinctly recall pouring mine in a wine glass as i didnt initially see the former. November 11, 2013 monday. Wont forget that time as my city was hit by that supertyphoon which was all over the news.

Will be back end of the month and again end of april. So we'll see.....Having said that, just because nothing is posted regarding no food/drinks allowed outside the lounge, it doesnt mean it's ok to take as much as you can with you back to your room....perhaps i am mistaken on this? Likemi said on my previous post, if it's the norm, i wouldnt mind doing it then and changr my mindset on bringing food/booze from the lounge to save on minibar and room service (perhaps this is the BEST and most appropriate time to 'tip' the lounge agent).

Never said no one was there. I said no staff was in the lounge when i came in, someone came in, resupplied whatever was needed, and went inside whatever room was behimd the food area.

Last edited by supatight80; Mar 16, 2014 at 11:39 am
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by supatight80
I remember it being champagne as there were champagne glasses and i distinctly recall pouring mine in a wine glass as i didnt initially see the former. November 11, 2013 monday. Wont forget that time as my city was hit by that supertyphoon which was all over the news.

Will be back end of the month and again end of april. So we'll see.....Having said that, just because nothing is posted regarding no food/drinks allowed outside the lounge, it doesnt mean it's ok to take as much as you can with you back to your room....perhaps i am mistaken on this?

Never said no one was there. I said no staff was in the lounge when i came in, someone came in, resupplied whatever was needed, and went inside whatever room was behimd the food area.
The " self service " means that the guests do " shopping " in the " supermarket for free " called Club Lounge.

Malpensa do not offer champagne but prosecco.

Now there is staff all the time in the evening there. Not a waiter more a receptionist. It is new since january.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
The " self service " means that the guests do " shopping " in the " supermarket for free " called Club Lounge.

Malpensa do not offer champagne but prosecco.

Now there is staff all the time in the evening there. Not a waiter more a receptionist. It is new since january.

My bad, googled it...youre right

This reminds me on my first trip to italy bout 10 years ago when i asked someone why there was vanilla ice cream on my ham, when in fact it was prosciutto and a perfectly rounded creamy mozzarella...those italians...

Last edited by supatight80; Mar 16, 2014 at 12:21 pm
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jb3t
3. On housekeeping... If I'm there one night, I don't usually tip. If I'm there multiple nights, I'll usually get green choice but may leave a few bucks at the end. However, I do tend to clean my room before leaving.
How do you clean your room? There are no cleaning products, rags or vacuum cleaners in any of the rooms I stay in.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, AS Lifetime Gold (75K for this year), Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, OW Emerald
I haven't had them directly ask, but I generally leave a tip when they provide assistance.

It's a little annoying to be hounded for tips.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
How do you clean your room? There are no cleaning products, rags or vacuum cleaners in any of the rooms I stay in.
Spoilsport!

Cheers,
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I hope the cleaning lady uses your tootbrush. seriously.
just kidding
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Rephrase.... I tidy up my room. Meaning I don't leave it a mess. If I left it a mess, I would probably leave a tip for a one night stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.