Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Is it normal for server to ask for tip at Sheraton Club Lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it normal for server to ask for tip at Sheraton Club Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy AMB/LTE , Diamond HH, SEN LH
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I would not contribute to this since it encourages US hotel owners to pay even less to their staff working in lounges. It is ridiculous that US hotels expect me to pay extra via tipping for all services I can expect from a good hotel.
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
i hope this 'culture' will not spread into europe and asia.

The best comments here...^
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
Originally Posted by puntamita
How do all of you think the food appeared? Set up of plates, etc. Give them a tip. They rely on it to earn a living.
My thoughts exactly. Especially if you're in a developing country where salaries for such jobs are so low to begin with. Giving small presents for exemplary service is also a good strategy. It makes them feel good, they do a good job, and they'll remember you for next time. Everyone wins. ^
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Which culture? That of tipping employees for doing what they're supposed to do, or that of tipping only for going above and beyond their job responsibilities/description? Don't mean to be pejorative at all, it's just not clear from your post.
I would expect 3rdworldresident being Thai meant the American tipping culture, i.e. tipping for no apparent reason - because everyone else does(TM).
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've always thought of lounge dragon positions as being on a hotel career path, perhaps with the next step being a guest relations supervisor, concierge, in house elite program coordinator, front desk supervisor, dining room manager, etc.
I've had several stays where the lounge attendant was also the front desk clerk or supervisor.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Nor is my decision influenced by the prominent clear tip jar containing relatively large bills.
Mine is, but not in the direction they intend.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Canuck2012
Everyone wins. ^

Well the nurse who has several years training and some valuable skills and who might earn less than the hotel waiter before even considering tips doesn't - almost all salaries are low in developing countries, not just those of people employed in the hospitality industry.

http://www.payscale.com/research/IN/...f_Nurse/Salary

http://www.payscale.com/research/IN/...c_Hotel/Salary

I don't have anything against your charity/generosity but there is a bigger picture and it is not a case of Everyone wins - if you can make more money and tips on top in a low stress/low skill/low responsibility job then why bother trying to advance yourself/developing skills of great value to society - remuneration has to in some way reflect that. Yields soapbox to next speaker
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:05 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by camsean
You what now?
I'm a gay man and I prefer to give more than just the tip.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Talking

Originally Posted by glx
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Well the nurse who has several years training and some valuable skills and who might earn less than the hotel waiter before even considering tips doesn't - almost all salaries are low in developing countries, not just those of people employed in the hospitality industry.
The problem here is that the logical extension of that argument is that women should be prostitutes. "Compensation" is about more than money.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Canuck2012
My thoughts exactly. Especially if you're in a developing country where salaries for such jobs are so low to begin with. Giving small presents for exemplary service is also a good strategy. It makes them feel good, they do a good job, and they'll remember you for next time. Everyone wins. ^
Has anyone encountered this $0 bill in any developing countries? I've only seen it in the U.S. Kind of like the bar in any United Club lounge littered with $1 bills.

We gave a $20 tip to a driver in Bali who spent the day touring us around the island (9 hr tour cost us $60). His eyes and stunned look said it all. Loved it.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
It's an emotive topic. Some people like to tip, others don't. I like to tip, especially when people deserve it.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by remymartin
I would expect 3rdworldresident being Thai meant the American tipping culture, i.e. tipping for no apparent reason - because everyone else does(TM).
Thank you, remymartin. You did read my mind.

I, as a Thai citizen, do tip the staff who deserve it. (I'm not a rich guy at all, especially by the US standard or other 1st world countries)

By the way, sorry for my poor English. I'll try to improve it for communicating efficiently.

Sometimes I want to explain my opinion clearly but I don't know how to express it in English. So I ended up posting in a very short sentence.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Mar 13, 2014 at 11:14 am
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I think this thread has gone off topic. The issue is not if you think it appropriate to tip or not (and we've already established there are two schools of thought on that).

The issue is it appropriate to solicit a tip and in that case my opinion is that even if it a tip is deserved/warranted it is NOT OK to request one in a club lounge. And it is especially crass to present a $0 in an attempt to solicit one.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
This whole thread was off-topic. Am I the only one who finds the title misleading (yellow press material) - where does OP in his post say someone asked for a tip directly? I don't think a $0 bill is asking for a tip straight off the bat - it might be a statistical thing or whatever.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by glx
Brilliant

Originally Posted by dtwdoc
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something, a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
I guess there are no other Tarantino fans in these parts...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I think the thread has been one of the most entertaining thread in years. I have laughed a lot. Off topic or not. Also helps me understand people that are selfish. Hope that $2 or $3 makes a big difference in your life. The staff might not be making minimum wage but a lot less than most staying at the hotel. If they are giving you a slip to write in a tip, they are asking for a tip. If the hotel is giving them the slips to hand out, then probably they expect guest to supplement their salary. You show the hotel by not tipping the people that need it. Great job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.