Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected] om

Directions on how to reach hotel from airport, train station, or elsewhere in Venice: https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/v/vcegl/vcegl_pdfs/How_to_arrive_The_Gritti_Palace.pdf

Closest waterbus stop to hotel: Santa Maria del Giglio pier Directions

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2016:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...e-upgrade-1632
Print Wikipost

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:59 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RLG
Add my vote for the Gritti being a star in the Starwood portfolio. Just left and I miss it already.

Property is beautiful and well located. Excellent platinum treatment (upgrade, full breakfast). Staff was pleasant and professional.

Only complaint with the property is that it allows smoking in the waterfront seating area of the restaurant and bar. Having a chain smoking family of 4 sitting next to me ruined my lunch there. It wouldn't stop me from coming back, but it did stop me from buying any more drinks or meals there. Since the property seems to have a predominantly North American clientele, I think it should adopt a more North American attitude to smoking.

This property does "not" have a predominantly North American clientele.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Suggestions / directions on getting from the train station to the Gritti?
Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:07 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by pkerr
Suggestions / directions on getting from the train station to the Gritti?
Thanks
From a post of mine in the locked prerenovation thread. Prices have likely increased but I expect that the route information is still accurate.

I entered Venice by train. You have two choices to get to the hotel: water taxi or vaporetto. I believe that a water taxi would be close to 100 euros, whereas the vaporetto is 6.5 euros. While I could get to the hotel much faster by taxi, I was in no hurry thus chose the vaporetto. When you leave the station, go down the stairs and straight ahead. There are several booths where you can buy vaporetto tickets. I decided to buy a 3 day pass for 33 euros. That way, I wouldn't have to buy any more tickets for the duration of my stay. You need to check carefully for the proper pier. You want vaporetto 1 toward St Marks and the Lido. It is the pier to the extreme right.

The vaporetto makes a number of stops along the Grand Canal. It takes about 45 minutes to get to the Giglio stop - but then again, you're on the Grand Canal, and the ride is part of your sightseeing. It's exceptionally easy to get to the Gritti with luggage from the Giglio stop. There are no stairs nor bridges. You walk straight ahead down a tiny alley til you get to a small square. Turn right, then turn right again and walk back to the canal. The Gritti is on the canal to the left of you.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
Smile Using points and SNA for 5 nights in March!

A seasoned traveler here but reading the posts on the hotel, even I am excited!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:32 am
RZR

The water taxi was 50 or 60 euro's in nov 2013. takes 12 minutes. Drop you right off exactly in front of the hotel. No need to lug luggage around. For me it was perfect.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by RZR
The water taxi was 50 or 60 euro's in nov 2013. takes 12 minutes. Drop you right off exactly in front of the hotel. No need to lug luggage around. For me it was perfect.
Can you be more specific on which water taxi to take? I assume that this is not the only option is it? One last question... Cash or credit card?
Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you be more specific on which water taxi to take? I assume that this is not the only option is it? One last question... Cash or credit card?
Thanks
You can find all the information about water taxis in Venezia here:
http://motoscafivenezia.it/eng/?gcli...FYxQ3godMG4AWA

If you wish you can also pay on the site through paypal with a credit card.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:15 am
RZR

Thanks
YOu have 2 options as mentioned earlier. "Water taxi" or "water Shuttle". Shuttle makes stops at predetermined stops. You can;t have them stop just anywhere.

I paid cash for the Water Taxi. Credit was not accepted i don't think.

It's very easy , the taxi's are in the water as soon as you exit the train station. it's easy
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by RZR
YOu have 2 options as mentioned earlier. "Water taxi" or "water Shuttle". Shuttle makes stops at predetermined stops. You can;t have them stop just anywhere.

I paid cash for the Water Taxi. Credit was not accepted i don't think.

It's very easy , the taxi's are in the water as soon as you exit the train station. it's easy
So for instance, if I'm going to the Gritti Palace I have the option of the water taxi that will drop me off right at their dock for 60 euros or the water shuttle that drops me off ?? and is significantly less?
Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:59 am

So for instance, if I'm going to the Gritti Palace I have the option of the water taxi that will drop me off right at their dock for 60 euros or the water shuttle that drops me off ?? and is significantly less?
Thanks
It's the alternative of taxi for just you versus a bus with many people. See my post above.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:13 am
RZR

Thanks
Yes, water shuttle cost less , takes longer , makes many stops , is full of passengers.

For me after travelling for many hours, the last thing I want to do is extend my trip on a shuttle.
+ if you are 3 of 4 people , the taxi is not bad at all price wise.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:43 am

I will be in Venice for 2 nights in late December 2014 or early January 2015. Have not been in over a decade and am excited to return as it is one of my favorite Italian cities.

I am SPG Gold and plan to use all points or points and cash for Gritti or Danieli, both of which are showing availability right now.

As I'm likely not going to get upgraded, since I'm only Gold, do you think the Gritti post-renovation is worth the slightly more out of the way location?

We plan to stay at St. Regis Florence and Rome unless you suggest elsewhere.

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WanderlustFoodie
As I'm likely not going to get upgraded, since I'm only Gold, do you think the Gritti post-renovation is worth the slightly more out of the way location?
I don't think the location of the Gritti is out of the way at all- I would stay there if you can get a good room.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I don't think the location of the Gritti is out of the way at all- I would stay there if you can get a good room.
I agree. It's away from the tourist insanity of St Marks, and is in a much better location for exploring Venice. I found it an excellent location both for walking to restaurants and for getting to the places I wanted to visit.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I agree. It's away from the tourist insanity of St Marks, and is in a much better location for exploring Venice. I found it an excellent location both for walking to restaurants and for getting to the places I wanted to visit.
And if you want to dress up and go to the Fenice the location cannot get any better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.