Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I believe the switch to Bonvoy wont make a property change their "habit".
It wont suddenly make "stingy" property become more generous but then it also wont make great property become "bonvoyed"
Unless Marriott corporate somehow receive complaints and act accordingly.

Sometimes I don't understand with property reluctance to upgrade first time elites and repeat elites.
I dont think the cost saving from not having to do housekeeping on more spacious suites worth the chance that the elites / repeat elites move their stay to another hotel.
Last 2 stay I used my SNA (both time confirmed) and the second stay I saw that the biggest suite was available, and asked if this is possible to get upgrade to the biggest one, to see the difference The Women at the desk told me that the suite will be empty only for 2 days (I had 4 days stay) I said I'm fine to move after that.
​​​​​​She called the room manager to validate that and the drama started. Finally she apologized and give me strictly my SNA upgraded suite.
Then the manager come at the lobby to told me that these suites are not part of the upgrade for Marriot Elite, seem no upgrade possible to any nice suite.

I find also that the breakfast is not great, quality is low for a W.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:57 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I believe the switch to Bonvoy wont make a property change their "habit".
It wont suddenly make "stingy" property become more generous but then it also wont make great property become "bonvoyed"
Logically speaking, this makes sense and I cannot argue with that. However my experience sometimes makes me wonder if something else might be at play, although it's only speculation on my part. My suite upgrade success rate has grown materially in the last few months, which could be due to a bunch of reasons unrelated to properties becoming more generous, admittedly. However there are some hints here and there in different hotels where I have been denied suite upgrades despite availability online several times in the past, and then suddenly in the last few months I get suite upgrades at those same hotels, Athenee being one of them. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part that something has changed for the better, but results are indeed better for me. Might just be luck though, time will tell.

Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
Last 2 stay I used my SNA (both time confirmed) and the second stay I saw that the biggest suite was available, and asked if this is possible to get upgrade to the biggest one.
When you say the "biggest" suite, do you mean the Extreme WOW suite? If they denied you an upgrade to the fantastic suite (which is one notch above the studio suite) then it would not be very generous indeed. But to deny an upgrade to the Extreme WOW is understandable - if that was the case then in my humble opinion your expectations were too high.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I can't speak to this property, but my experience at several other Bangkok properties (SGS, StR) is that booking a suite is a door-opener to getting an upgrade to one of the better suites.
You are right, and my question is how W would handle it. I would be more willing to book the studio suite if I knew W might upgrade me to a better suite if available. However if experience from others is such that if you book the studio suite then you get the studio suite, in that case W is less attractive of a choice compared to SGS and StR, among others.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
My experience with other asian property is the opposite.
If I book higher lv room/jr suite, most of the times I will just get as booked.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Last 2 stay I used my SNA (both time confirmed) and the second stay I saw that the biggest suite was available, and asked if this is possible to get upgrade to the biggest one, to see the difference The Women at the desk told me that the suite will be empty only for 2 days (I had 4 days stay) I said I'm fine to move after that.
​​​​​​She called the room manager to validate that and the drama started. Finally she apologized and give me strictly my SNA upgraded suite.
Then the manager come at the lobby to told me that these suites are not part of the upgrade for Marriot Elite, seem no upgrade possible to any nice suite.

I find also that the breakfast is not great, quality is low for a W.
When you select the SNA it lists the rooms you can request. Did you get the choice of higher than Marvellous?
Old May 14, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by geminidreams
When you select the SNA it lists the rooms you can request. Did you get the choice of higher than Marvellous?
I get both time fantastic suite with my SNA, i think marvelous suite was a possible SNA choice, but never got one.
Has someone get upgraded higher than studio suite without SNA ?
Old May 14, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I can't speak to this property, but my experience at several other Bangkok properties (SGS, StR) is that booking a suite is a door-opener to getting an upgrade to one of the better suites.
I think that properties that do this look at it the same way that airlines manage operational upgrades. If Y is oversold, they don't put Y pax into available F seats. They upgrade J pax to F, then Y pax to J, all as needed.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I think that properties that do this look at it the same way that airlines manage operational upgrades. If Y is oversold, they don't put Y pax into available F seats. They upgrade J pax to F, then Y pax to J, all as needed.
I suspect different properties handle it differently. At StR and SGS, they consciously work at turning high spend guests into return guests. Upgrading someone who pays for a suite to an empty premium suite is a very smart way to do that.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I believe that would be the most sensible things to do.

Returning guests ... especially elites ... should be valued highly by the property.

I always assume that people who book directly supposedly cost less for a hotel in term of comission etc
So having these returned elites keep coming back using direct booking should be great for a hotel.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:39 pm

I suspect different properties handle it differently. At StR and SGS, they consciously work at turning high spend guests into return guests. Upgrading someone who pays for a suite to an empty premium suite is a very smart way to do that.
Right, I suspect those hotels don't only upgrade to premium suites when oversold. Airlines do, but hotels are more generous.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:49 pm

My experience with other asian property is the opposite.
If I book higher lv room/jr suite, most of the times I will just get as booked.
It's always useful to know the experience of others at individual properties in such cases. If I know in advance a hotel will do as you say, then circumstances can vary but my natural tendency will be to book the entry level room rather than a suite at such hotel, or book a suite somewhere else where my odds of a premium suite upgrade would be better.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:49 pm

I think the cost for airlines to upgrade someone to F will be higher than the cost of a hotel to upgrade someone to their premium ... even presidential suite.

Few Nespresso pods, some premium tea bags, and few extra minutes of housekeeping surely cheaper than 1 bottle of Dom in F
Old May 14, 2019, 11:55 pm

1 bottle of Dom in F
Just 1? What about 8 bottles of Dom in F.

That reminds me of the most epic trip report I ever read on FT about @macabus who drank 8 bottles of Dom during his journey on SQ F, on his way to BKK coincidentally
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-bkk-sq-f.html

An amazing and entertaining read
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:27 am

I can only finish 2 bottles on LAX to DXB flight

8 bottles of dom ... that can pay for 1 night in a premium suite at rack rate I guess
Old May 15, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: Some
I can only finish 2 bottles on LAX to DXB flight
Must try harder
kaizen7 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: Some
I get both time fantastic suite with my SNA, i think marvelous suite was a possible SNA choice, but never got one.
Has someone get upgraded higher than studio suite without SNA ?
Wrapped up a stay here where I booked a Studio Suite and was upgraded to a Marvellous Suite so it does happen. Actually I had two back-to-back stays booked here both in a Studio Suite, the first one they apologised unprompted for not being able to upgrade me but offered me the chance to move mid-stay if I wanted which I accepted. Unclear if this is general policy or because I’m starting to rack up spend at this hotel as a repeat guest.

Couple of other small changes which are improvements - they’ve moved from plastic water bottles in rooms to the same glass Chang bottles in leather holders as The Athenee and also pool-side service is much improved - two visits and both times there was a free ice cream service plus cold towels one time and orange juice the other. Will be back again, realise this hotel isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I still really like it as long as you get at least a Studio Suite.
escape4 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.