Wiki Posts
Search

Marriotts near National Parks?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott, UA, SWA, Hilton, IHG
Yes, there are Marriott properties somewhat close to Glacier National Park

Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
Aren't there Marriotts in Kalispell and Whitefish, Montana -- very close to the west entrance of Glacier National Park?
The Springhill Suites in Kalispell is 45 minutes from Glacier National Park and the Towneplace Suites in Whitefish is 15 minutes closer. I've stayed at both and they were excellent, even during the pandemic in the latter case.
Armani likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To sum up closest yellowstone options
Fairfield livingston (1 hr North entrance)
The Wilson big sky (1 hr west entrance)
Springhill Island Park (40 min west entrance)
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite

King room

Breakfast a bit scarce, but burritos, coffee, yogurt

Copper Whiskey Bar and Grill attached to hotel

Lobby bar that was minimally opened at best.

a few pics from The Wilson last October. Loved the hotel and the area. Certainly going back this year.
SanDiego1K and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
a few pics from The Wilson last October. Loved the hotel and the area. Certainly going back this year.
Since I had to Google what this was, I'll post for others: Residence Inn Big Sky/The Wilson, MT, an hour or less from West Yellowstone.

Looks like a nice spot.
SanDiego1K and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:46 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
To sum up closest yellowstone options
Fairfield livingston (1 hr North entrance)
The Wilson big sky (1 hr west entrance)
Springhill Island Park (40 min west entrance)
Nice I just booked Springhill Island Park..
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Fairfield Inn & Suites Oakhurst Yosemite

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Merced and Fresno are not true gateway towns for Yosemite. They're simply the closest towns with hotel programs like Hilton and Marriott.

The "true" gateway towns for Yosemite are Oakhurst and Mariposa, but they only have Best Western and Choice in terms of chain hotels (with points programs), like the "true" gateway towns for some many national parks.
Marriott now have a FFI in Oakhurst. Anyone been there? Only one 1 star review on TA from last year.... the poor guy arrived and it was still under construction and apparently Marriott did not inform him.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Marriott now have a FFI in Oakhurst. Anyone been there? Only one 1 star review on TA from last year.... the poor guy arrived and it was still under construction and apparently Marriott did not inform him.
As of a few weeks ago the Fairfield still was not open. It is currently not accepting reservations prior to June 7.

The FFI is the same owner as the adjacent soon-to-open Hampton and already open HIX. The owner/developer decided to build 1 property from each of those 3 major programs. The HIX has been open for over a year and its reviews are probably the closest for any hints about the FFI management/operation after it opens.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Oh Crap... I hope the June 7th date holds because we are planning to be there on 7/20... Is a very good deal if we are able to use points....
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Oh Crap... I hope the June 7th date holds because we are planning to be there on 7/20... Is a very good deal if we are able to use points....
I’ve had an eye on this FF for well over a year now. This is the first time that they’ve made it to the month of “opening” without them pushing it out on their Marriott.com website.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 2:36 pm

The exterior looks complete and they have been hiring.

The last delay/change of date was mainly due to a needed increase in capacity for the area sewer trunk line. Getting approvals from a rural county for infrastructure work in an unincorporated community plus dealing with Caltrans for permits to trench 1 mile of state highway pushed the previous opening date. That sewer work is finished.

My opinion is a June date looks like it can hold.
SPN Lifer and hotelfanatic like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:34 am

hotelfanatic, in case you did not see this week's announcement that Yosemite will return to a day-use reservation system this summer. You will need to add getting one of those passes to your trip planning.

The park will require the reservations for those staying outside the park boundaries unless you are using the YARTS bus. But if you are driving a vehicle yourself you will need the reservation pass. Those staying inside the park do not need a reservation.

There are no walk-up passes, the day-use reservation must be purchased in advance. Some dates will sell out.

This time the reservations are only good for 3 days (a change from the previous 7 days). If you wanted to enter the park for more than 3 days you will need two different reservations.

For a July date, the park entrance reservations go on sale April 28th at 8am Pacific Time.

You can read up on the reservations and the process at:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/reservations.htm
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/covid19.htm
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by FATFlyer; Apr 9, 2021 at 11:40 am
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:55 am

The wife and I are flying into Jackson Hole and spending almost two weeks around there and Yellowstone over Christmas and New Years. I was looking at splitting the time between the Springhill Suites in Jackson and the one in Island Park. Is there anywhere else we should go or would these two areas be good?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Yellowstone only has two entrances that are open in the winter, the north entrance and the northeast entrance. Island Park to the north entrance without being able to go through the park is a 3.5 hour drive each way according to Google Maps.I'd strongly recommend staying in Gardiner, MT or at one of the lodges in the Mammoth Hot Springs part of Yellowstone.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Yellowstone only has two entrances that are open in the winter, the north entrance and the northeast entrance. Island Park to the north entrance without being able to go through the park is a 3.5 hour drive each way according to Google Maps.

I'd strongly recommend staying in Gardiner, MT or at one of the lodges in the Mammoth Hot Springs part of Yellowstone.
Is there a lot to see via car on the north side? I was thinking of doing a couple snowmobile or snowcoach tours from the West Entrance.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The hot springs near the North Entrance are really neat to see, but there's plenty to see by snow-based tours from the West Entrance as well. I just forgot those existed. Staying in Island Park makes perfect sense if that's your plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.