Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriotts near National Parks?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:54 pm

For Yosemite, there are new hotels from the major point programs under construction or planned in Oakhurst. When open, those would be the closest properties from the major programs to Yosemite but still a 75 to 90 minute drive to Yosemite Valley.

A new build Holiday Inn Express is currently accepting reservations for dates after January 1, 2017. The building is framed but supposedly has run into a couple of construction delays.
http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress...yo/hoteldetail

A new build Fairfield Inn will go in at the same site. My guess is that may be a summer 2017 or later opening.

After the Fairfield opens, the developer has submitted plans to the county for a Hampton Inn on the same site.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
That's a great news, as we really enjoyed Yosemite and even Oakhurst is a beautiful place!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FATFlyer
For Yosemite, there are new hotels from the major point programs under construction or planned in Oakhurst. When open, those would be the closest properties from the major programs to Yosemite but still a 75 to 90 minute drive to Yosemite Valley.

A new build Holiday Inn Express is currently accepting reservations for dates after January 1, 2017. The building is framed but supposedly has run into a couple of construction delays.
http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress...yo/hoteldetail

A new build Fairfield Inn will go in at the same site. My guess is that may be a summer 2017 or later opening.

After the Fairfield opens, the developer has submitted plans to the county for a Hampton Inn on the same site.
Surely they'll push hard to open in time for the summer season.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:02 pm

There is a JW Marriott literally on top of Saguaro National Park.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
There is a JW Marriott literally on top of Saguaro National Park.
I believe you refer to the JW Starr Pass in Tucson (in case someone reading this needs more specifics...).
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few months ago we had this upthread:

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
They are building a Springhill Suites in Kalispell, MT near Glacier National Park. Hilton already had a HGI and Hampton there.
Then today (after being away from FT for a week) I just saw these two in the new hotels thread:

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Jackson, Wyoming

[...]

The article doesn't say, but the Marriott website shows a Springhill Suites opening in December 2016, which is what I think the above is about.
SpringHill Suites Springdale Zion National Park, UT, May '17
A pattern emerging? (Jackson is to Grand Teton NP what Springdale is to Zion NP.)
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:02 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thanks, sdsearch. We've been revisiting some of the major national parks recently. There's a lot to be said for the location of the national park lodges and not much good to be said for ease of making a booking (not enough rooms) and quality of the rooms. It's great to have more alternatives.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It will be nice to have MR choices in Jackson, WY and Springdale, UT.

I took a look through the openings thread just now and spotted that there's also a Courtyard in Sedona, AZ slated to open in a few months. Sedona's not home to a national park but its beauty is equal to one. It will be nice to have a MR choice closer than staying up the hill in Flagstaff.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Marriott website is now saying Springhill Suites Springdale Zion National Park UT is opening December '16 instead of May '17. Website doesn't have a category yet.

Springhill Suites Jackson Hole now opening in Jan '17 instead of Dec '16. It's a Category 7.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Springhill Suites Jackson Hole now opening in Jan '17 instead of Dec '16. It's a Category 7.
I'm and at JAC being a Cat-7. Putting vacation destinations up at ridiculous categories is how MR rolls. Hopefully the property's cash rates will be more reasonable.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm and at JAC being a Cat-7.
No kidding. Supply and demand, I guess. We found the same category inflation when we stayed at the Homewood Suites, Jackson Hole, a couple years back. I just checked and it is currently 70,000 Hilton points. Hilton points are less valuable than Marriott, but that is still a whole lot of points. For a random date in July 2017, both are showing $400 rates. *gulp*
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:37 pm

Will be interesting to see what the Zion property comes in at as a category when it opens year-end.

Jackson Hole, besides being near a national park (my sister used to be a park ranger in the Tetons) is also close to ski resorts, which probably contributes to the high category.

Cheers.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm and at JAC being a Cat-7. Putting vacation destinations up at ridiculous categories is how MR rolls. Hopefully the property's cash rates will be more reasonable.
It's quite possible that the category will drop once it gets past 2017.

For 2017, they may have had to set the category high simply because of the insane demand for rooms for the total eclipse in August 2017. (They have no way to make the category higher for just a few days, so they may have made the category high for the whole first year just to avoid everyone scooping up rooms the day of the eclipse on points.)

In case you didn't realize, a lot of people are choosing Grand Teton NP for their eclipse viewing location, in part because it's a wonderful place to be whether you see an eclipse or not. And while Grand Teton doesn't have the best chances of weather on a particular August day (there are less fabulous places further west that have even better chances), definitely compared to the east coast Grand Teton is still improved weather chances for the eclipse.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:43 am

Marriott website is now saying Springhill Suites Springdale Zion National Park UT is opening December '16
Springhill Suites Springdale Zion National Park UT now has a category. Cat 6. Still showing opening in Dec.

Also, new hotels shows Springhill Suites Moab, UT opening Jan '18. No category yet.

Cheers.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
There is a new Residence Inn in Rapid City, SD about 30 min from Mt Rushmore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.