Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Viewline Resort Snowmass, Autograph Collection (formerly Westin) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Viewline Resort Snowmass, Autograph Collection (formerly Westin) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Car rental definitely not needed at Aspen with free hotel shuttle to airport (waiting when you land) and free shutttle bus route between Aspen & Snowmass. Very convenient - easier than Whistler (where the airport is 2 hours away) or even Park City (45m to Airport).
As for skiing plenty of easy blues and blacks at Snowmass. Those in the group needing a challenge can bus over to Ajax. It’s all much better than Whistler which often suffers from lack of snow or icy slopes
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Staying here now. It's...fine. Category 5 is fair (esp. when you get it for 12K/night as I did vs. 16K). Property is probably in need of a renovation, but it gets the job done.

Again, location is great. True ski-in/ski-out. Fitness center looks good. No upgrade (suites were sold out as is the property), but I guess I got what is a fairly private room.

Snowmass is...fine. Not really a town in the Aspen/Park City/Breck sense...small village that has enough shops & restaurants.

Will be checking out Plat breakfast later - looks like they adhere to the continental "letter of the law"...can upgrade to hot breakfast for $10 apparently.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:41 pm

UA-NYC - any change in thoughts on this property following your stay? I know you had great conditions so don't let that inflate your review! I was in Aspen the week before you and someone finally turned on the snow. I was also up earlier in the season and conditions were a tad disappointing (to put it nicely) ... Heading back next week as well to try and get a bit more out of the season.

Back to the Westin Snowmass, I am contemplating staying here for New Years. I booked a couple rooms, but it's only because the St Regis Aspen is blocking points availability. I'd have to completely lose any sense of the value of a dollar to pay the St Regis cash rate during that time. But I worry the Westin will be a let down based on the reviews. Seems like it's just a place to sleep while on vacation as opposed to creating an environment on the property that makes it special and makes you want to be there.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

St. Regis is special (Aspen or Deer Valley). At Westin snow mass you are buying convenience. We were there for NYE last year, nothing special. You would have to take the shuttle to Aspen for the (ultra-pricey) parties. It’s a great property for families, and a great value. But snowmass is not Aspen, anymore than Summerlin is Las Vegas or Brooklyn is Manhattan.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mrfussion
UA-NYC - any change in thoughts on this property following your stay? I know you had great conditions so don't let that inflate your review! I was in Aspen the week before you and someone finally turned on the snow. I was also up earlier in the season and conditions were a tad disappointing (to put it nicely) ... Heading back next week as well to try and get a bit more out of the season.

Back to the Westin Snowmass, I am contemplating staying here for New Years. I booked a couple rooms, but it's only because the St Regis Aspen is blocking points availability. I'd have to completely lose any sense of the value of a dollar to pay the St Regis cash rate during that time. But I worry the Westin will be a let down based on the reviews. Seems like it's just a place to sleep while on vacation as opposed to creating an environment on the property that makes it special and makes you want to be there.
Well my flights to and from Aspen were both cancelled due to weather so not sure about "great conditions" other than a lot of snow! Next time I will fly into EGE...lesson learned.

So my overall take is that it's a very convenient property (as Boraxo said) and that can't be overstated. And it's a great Cat 5 redemption. BUT - I would be extremely disappointed if I was paying the going rate (over the holiday weekend it was ~$600 or so for a base room).

Some other thoughts as to why:
- Frankly the hotel just seemed understaffed at times (though not in the Ski Valet part fortunately)...not enough servers in the restaurant. Often only one person at the front desk. Housekeeping often times hadn't come by 4pm.
- Rooms may have been renovated at some point but they are old. Really shows in the bathrooms, curtains, etc.
- I had a room on the "6th floor" which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing...good in that it wasn't in the main hallway (where I'm assuming it can get noisy)...bad in that there was no elevator that went directly there, had to walk the 5th and then climb one small and one big set of stairs.
- Breakfast is...meh. Pure continental ($19 value, pay $10 to upgrade to the hot portion which may be worth it, I never did). It looked good at a distance (oatmeal, granola, yogurt, fruit, bagels/muffins, even lox and fixings) but day 1 I tried the oatmeal (very grainy, no taste whatsoever) and yogurt (cheap sugary kind, not greek), saw plates never cleaned and overwhelmed servers, and after that we didn't go back again (forfeiting 4 b'fast coupons in the process). Insider tip is to go to Fuel (1 min walk), most amazing breakfast burritos for $7 or so, filling and high quality.
- Restaurant on site gets terrible reviews - we either walked or took the easy bus elsewhere for dinner every night...Artisan, Edge, Toro at the Viceroy, Snowmass Club all good experiences.
- Gym is fine, though less equipment than similar sized Westin properties (maybe not as critical since you probably have fewer exercisers given the skiing!)

Snowmass is a good mountain, but I like other mountains equally if not more and thus will probably go elsewhere next time for a nicer hotel experience (like Beaver Creek again, or maybe new (to me) properties like the Vail Marriott).

Happy to answer any further questions.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Well my flights to and from Aspen were both cancelled due to weather so not sure about "great conditions" other than a lot of snow! Next time I will fly into EGE...lesson learned.

So my overall take is that it's a very convenient property (as Boraxo said) and that can't be overstated. And it's a great Cat 5 redemption. BUT - I would be extremely disappointed if I was paying the going rate (over the holiday weekend it was ~$600 or so for a base room).

Some other thoughts as to why:
- Frankly the hotel just seemed understaffed at times (though not in the Ski Valet part fortunately)...not enough servers in the restaurant. Often only one person at the front desk. Housekeeping often times hadn't come by 4pm.
- Rooms may have been renovated at some point but they are old. Really shows in the bathrooms, curtains, etc.
- I had a room on the "6th floor" which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing...good in that it wasn't in the main hallway (where I'm assuming it can get noisy)...bad in that there was no elevator that went directly there, had to walk the 5th and then climb one small and one big set of stairs.
- Breakfast is...meh. Pure continental ($19 value, pay $10 to upgrade to the hot portion which may be worth it, I never did). It looked good at a distance (oatmeal, granola, yogurt, fruit, bagels/muffins, even lox and fixings) but day 1 I tried the oatmeal (very grainy, no taste whatsoever) and yogurt (cheap sugary kind, not greek), saw plates never cleaned and overwhelmed servers, and after that we didn't go back again (forfeiting 4 b'fast coupons in the process). Insider tip is to go to Fuel (1 min walk), most amazing breakfast burritos for $7 or so, filling and high quality.
- Restaurant on site gets terrible reviews - we either walked or took the easy bus elsewhere for dinner every night...Artisan, Edge, Toro at the Viceroy, Snowmass Club all good experiences.
- Gym is fine, though less equipment than similar sized Westin properties (maybe not as critical since you probably have fewer exercisers given the skiing!)

Snowmass is a good mountain, but I like other mountains equally if not more and thus will probably go elsewhere next time for a nicer hotel experience (like Beaver Creek again, or maybe new (to me) properties like the Vail Marriott).

Happy to answer any further questions.
The Vail Marriott is nothing to write home about. Like Westin Snowmass, it's expensive and been rode hard and put away wet....and loyalty recognition is pretty poor. The location is less convenient to the slopes than Westin, but not terrible. But I don't go out west to stay in my hotel room, and the skiing in both places is fabulous!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kit125
The Vail Marriott is nothing to write home about. Like Westin Snowmass, it's expensive and been rode hard and put away wet....and loyalty recognition is pretty poor. The location is less convenient to the slopes than Westin, but not terrible. But I don't go out west to stay in my hotel room, and the skiing in both places is fabulous!
Good to know - it's almost like we should start a tiering of snow resort hotels for all of us ski / board bums

Tier 1 - StR Aspen / Deer Valley, Westin Beaver Creek, W Verbier, RC Bachelor Gulch (best of the best...paying a premium, SPG Cat 6/7 and possibly in the Marriott Tiers (not Cats)
Tier 2 - Westin Snowmass, Marriott Vail, think there is that Tribute hotel in Park City, etc. (all solid, easy enough slope access, but not true luxury)
Tier 3 - Sheraton in Beaver Creek, Elements outside Big Sky / Aspen, etc. (value more than convenience / amenities)

Westin Mont Tremblant / Whistler - I have seen have seen both in person (but not stayed), curious where these might get placed. As well as any better Marriott properties.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Good to know - it's almost like we should start a tiering of snow resort hotels for all of us ski / board bums

Tier 1 - StR Aspen / Deer Valley, Westin Beaver Creek, W Verbier, RC Bachelor Gulch (best of the best...paying a premium, SPG Cat 6/7 and possibly in the Marriott Tiers (not Cats)
Tier 2 - Westin Snowmass, Marriott Vail, think there is that Tribute hotel in Park City, etc. (all solid, easy enough slope access, but not true luxury)
Tier 3 - Sheraton in Beaver Creek, Elements outside Big Sky / Aspen, etc. (value more than convenience / amenities)

Westin Mont Tremblant / Whistler - I have seen have seen both in person (but not stayed), curious where these might get placed. As well as any better Marriott properties.
The Westin Snowmass has some of the best ski valets I've every experienced. Super friendly guys.

I would not put Westin Avon/Beaver Creek at the same tier as Aspen. While it's a nicer Westin than Snowmass, it's not technically in Beaver Creek, and it's def not in the same league as the St Regis.

St Regis Aspen feels special because it's so expensive and a good use of points. The spa is quite nice and I like the oxygen bar.

While Sheraton in Avon is not as nice as the Westin, it's def not the same as Element in Basalt/Aspen. It's actually a few mins from the Westin. You can either take the gondola up or shuttle to Beaver Creek.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree. Have stayed in Avon and Beaver Creek (but not those properties). BC location is similar to Snowmass - great for families but not the same as Vail. Avon is a short drive to Vail so similar to staying outside of town - not ski out or even walk to lift like Marriott or FS Vail.

If we are doing Tier 1 should include RC Truckee which is actually a ski-in ski-out facility located at the Northstar resort. You can take a lift to the village. The Marriott timeshares in South Lake Tahoe are also walk to lift (Heavenly Valley), but probably more akin to Tier 2. Add Westin Whistler to Tier 2 as well.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Agree. Have stayed in Avon and Beaver Creek (but not those properties). BC location is similar to Snowmass - great for families but not the same as Vail. Avon is a short drive to Vail so similar to staying outside of town - not ski out or even walk to lift like Marriott or FS Vail.

If we are doing Tier 1 should include RC Truckee which is actually a ski-in ski-out facility located at the Northstar resort. You can take a lift to the village. The Marriott timeshares in South Lake Tahoe are also walk to lift (Heavenly Valley), but probably more akin to Tier 2. Add Westin Whistler to Tier 2 as well.
Westin Avon is not technically ski in ski out, but it's close since there is a gondola that goes straight from the hotel to the base where you can take a lift up to Bachelor Gulch. Avon has a lot more restaurant option so it's not a bad place to stay compared to Beaver Creek.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
The RC Bachelor Gulch is one of my favorite properties of all time!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:56 pm

I'd make a tier 1.5 for the Westin Whistler. Thought it was materially more polished than the Westin Snowmass and the Whistler village is vastly superior to the Snowmass village. But nowhere close to tier 1.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Also not Tier 1, but definitely Tier 2 would be the Westin Monache in Mammoth, CA. Mammoth Village is awesome, and the mountain is bigger than most others in CA, and you can hop on the gondola directly across from the hotel. Also throw in typically more consistent snow than Tahoe, even though Tahoe is a much cooler destination overall.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:12 am

We've booked a room reservation at Snowmass for this December. It seems they've already assigned us a room (Pinnacle wing), room 3730. Level 5. Any thoughts on if this room has a view, good location, etc.?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle
How is this property for a couple looking for a relaxing escape from the city?

Neither of us ski (we would try it 1 day maybe a beginning course), but otherwise looking for relaxing, maybe a little hiking, eating (reasonably priced), I saw there was tubing?, Not sure what else we can be done without actual skiing.

Worth the trip and expense of staying here? Also looked at St. Regis but it's $9,999 for the nights i am looking for ().

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.