Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tampa area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tampa area

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Depends on your trip purpose. If its a business trip to Tampa, or a stopover at TPA, the location would dictate the Ren Tampa, which is a decent, relatively new Ren in a shopping mall parking lot. The rooms are colorful, and there is a particularly delightful adult food court around the corner. You might get a nice view of the parking lot and/or a view of planes coming and going to TPA. Near lots of commerce, restaurants, shopping.

For anything else, it's not even close. Ren Vinoy, in my opinion, is a world-class resort, facing the bay and a marina, and in a park-like setting. It sits just off downtown St. Petersburg, which is more like an interesting older Florida downtown than a busy metropolis. It's near a number of museums, including the truly special Salavadore Dali Museum. There are four very good restaurants on the property, and others that are walking distance. It's got tennis courts on property and includes a nearby golf course available to guests. The Vinoy consists of two attached structures, the historic hotel which has been completely renovated and a newer tower with spacious, large, well furnished rooms, with the finest beds I've experienced at a Marriott. The lobby is beautifully restored with a large porch with wicker chairs, lounges, rockers, and tables. The staff is top notch. You will find the in season rates substantially higher at the Vinoy than the Ren Tampa, and at certain times in season it will be sold out or near.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Tampa Marriott Waterside - Hotel Reviews?

I'll be staying at this property in February but can't find anything relating to this particular property. Can anyone tell me about this hotel or if there are any strings I might have missed.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:28 am

In my opinion this is the finest hotel in TPA. I've stayed there a few times and the staff has always been excellent, particularly the concierge desk ^

We like this property so much that we are staying there in Feb. the night of our wedding And almost held our reception there.

I've been upgraded on every stay, once to a 2 room suite and probably the most memorable was to a room with a HUGE patio, it was definitely bigger than the room.

The property is very convenient to everything downtown and the Trolley stops right in front.

The only thing I've ever disliked was the valet parking takes too long. They use a garage about a block away and if they are busy it can take 10-15 minutes to get your car.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Being that this thread is over 10 years old, does anyone have any recent experience at any of these properties? Need to stay in the Tampa area this weekend and I've stayed at the Waterside property before, but that one is unfortunately unavailable. I tend to prefer full service hotels (assuming they aren't offering the Fresh Bites room service nonsense) and anywhere in the Tampa area works for me, just looking for the best hotel property.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
The Epicurean Hotel, Autograph Collection is a great hotel with a good location and fantastic food!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Depending on exactly what you're looking for, purpose of trip, and what area you need to be in, IMO the two top choices would be the Renaissance Vinoy and the Autograph Epicurean.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Teamstone
The Epicurean Hotel, Autograph Collection is a great hotel with a good location and fantastic food!
Originally Posted by ohmark
Depending on exactly what you're looking for, purpose of trip, and what area you need to be in, IMO the two top choices would be the Renaissance Vinoy and the Autograph Epicurean.
Thank you both for the info. I'm mainly looking for a relatively relaxed property with decent food and beverage options on site. I'll be gone early Saturday morning to the Eastern side of Tampa so I'm not really concerned about daytime activities or anything. I just want to roll in Friday night, not have to go out to get a good meal and a couple drinks, and go to sleep.

I'll check out both the Ren Vinoy and the Epicurean. May also look into Starwood since they cross over now.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: LTP, PP
The REN right by TPA is decent if you can snag a good rate. Used to stay here all the time, last visit it seemed a bit tired but had great stays there otherwise. Onsite food is good but pricey and you are steps away to many different choices plus easy access to highways.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:48 pm

Recent Gold here. 2nt stay at Tampa Waterside in a month. Is the CL closed on weekends at Waterside? Phone rep said so but I found that odd. ............... Disregard. Just saw the STICKY.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Does anyone have guidance on this now that the merger is done? We are going on an off night in December. Using the "select all premium brands" feature, I find:

two Renaissance hotels (Vinoy, International Plaza)
one Tribute Portfolio (Westshore Grand)
two Westins (Waterside, Tampa Bay)
three Autograph Collections (Epicurean, Waterline, Fenway)
three Sheratons (Riverwalk, Sand Key, Brandon)
one Le Meridien
FIVE mainline Marriotts (Clearwater Beach, Waterside, Airport, Westshore, Clearwater)

So that's 17 choices. We are flexible on location — they are all within reimbursement range. Most important thing is, without a doubt, a great suite upgrade. so I guess that leans ex-SPG. But maybe not.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:20 pm

We recently stayed at the WESTIN Tampa Waterside. No upgrade; the room was dark and not very enjoyable. Breakfast was quite okay but club Lounge service very limited. They used the breakfast restaurant for some cold drinks. Only positive was the location direct at the riverwalk in Tampa.

Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:15 am

Beware of flooding in the Tampa Bay area

Just a heads-up to those visiting the Tampa Bay area and aren't familiar with its nuances -- its stormwater drainage systems suck are inadequate in many areas. Beware.

40+ cars were damaged this week when the Ren. Vinoy hotel's garage flooded in a heavy rainstorm: https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...-st-petersburg The rainstorm in question dropped about 4" in one hour. Not typical for a Florida thunderstorm, BUT it does happen from time to time.

Off the top of my head: Tampa south of Kennedy Blvd floods pretty bad. One of the worst intersections is (aptly-named) Neptune & Dale Mabry. Bayshore Blvd also gets quite nautical at times. Over on the St. Petersburg side, the areas near Tampa Bay seem to fare the worst compared to the Gulf-side of town. 4th Street generally stays above water, but areas immediately east and west of 4th St can flood, even as far north as Gandy Blvd. Downtown around the Vinoy also floods.

It's amazing how fast the water can rise when conditions are right. I've personally had to 'beach' my car twice when the water was rising faster than I could escape from. Fortunately I was able to find higher ground each time, even if it was in some random person's front yard one time.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KRSW
Just a heads-up to those visiting the Tampa Bay area and aren't familiar with its nuances -- its stormwater drainage systems suck are inadequate in many areas. Beware.

40+ cars were damaged this week when the Ren. Vinoy hotel's garage flooded in a heavy rainstorm: https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...-st-petersburg The rainstorm in question dropped about 4" in one hour. Not typical for a Florida thunderstorm, BUT it does happen from time to time.

Off the top of my head: Tampa south of Kennedy Blvd floods pretty bad. One of the worst intersections is (aptly-named) Neptune & Dale Mabry. Bayshore Blvd also gets quite nautical at times. Over on the St. Petersburg side, the areas near Tampa Bay seem to fare the worst compared to the Gulf-side of town. 4th Street generally stays above water, but areas immediately east and west of 4th St can flood, even as far north as Gandy Blvd. Downtown around the Vinoy also floods.

It's amazing how fast the water can rise when conditions are right. I've personally had to 'beach' my car twice when the water was rising faster than I could escape from. Fortunately I was able to find higher ground each time, even if it was in some random person's front yard one time.
Wow.

I should note that properties further west -- Clearwater and the beaches -- are unaffected.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Wife and daughter are flying to Tampa to visit University of Tampa. Want a great property with good pool area but also convenient to campus, Ybor City, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Wife and daughter are flying to Tampa to visit University of Tampa. Want a great property with good pool area but also convenient to campus, Ybor City, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I just stayed at the Current Hotel a couple of weeks ago and I liked it quite a bit. Got a nice upgrade to the 3 bay suite or whatever it’s called without even asking. Food and beverage on property was also impressive and I enjoyed the rooftop bar quite a bit. Not super close to UT but not too bad of a drive either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.