FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tampa area
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:15 am
KRSW

Beware of flooding in the Tampa Bay area

Just a heads-up to those visiting the Tampa Bay area and aren't familiar with its nuances -- its stormwater drainage systems suck are inadequate in many areas. Beware.

40+ cars were damaged this week when the Ren. Vinoy hotel's garage flooded in a heavy rainstorm: https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...-st-petersburg The rainstorm in question dropped about 4" in one hour. Not typical for a Florida thunderstorm, BUT it does happen from time to time.

Off the top of my head: Tampa south of Kennedy Blvd floods pretty bad. One of the worst intersections is (aptly-named) Neptune & Dale Mabry. Bayshore Blvd also gets quite nautical at times. Over on the St. Petersburg side, the areas near Tampa Bay seem to fare the worst compared to the Gulf-side of town. 4th Street generally stays above water, but areas immediately east and west of 4th St can flood, even as far north as Gandy Blvd. Downtown around the Vinoy also floods.

It's amazing how fast the water can rise when conditions are right. I've personally had to 'beach' my car twice when the water was rising faster than I could escape from. Fortunately I was able to find higher ground each time, even if it was in some random person's front yard one time.