Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:29 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Michilander
TCB is up to 5%/7% for Marriott for the next 6 days.
Top Cash back is 7% ending in 4 days!

https://www.topcashback.com/marriott...B%20Newsletter
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Bonus point packages

hey guys!

I’m using Marriot as my 2nd program after IHG.

I am trying to earn lots of points in marriot in a short period of time, sadly being UK based I don’t have the benefit of super sign up bonuses.

normally with IHG I buy “+1000 bonus points per night” or “+5000 bonus points per stay” to speed up my earning.

Does marriot offer anything similar to this?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Lewis42
Bonus point packages

hey guys!

I’m using Marriot as my 2nd program after IHG.

I am trying to earn lots of points in marriot in a short period of time, sadly being UK based I don’t have the benefit of super sign up bonuses.

normally with IHG I buy “+1000 bonus points per night” or “+5000 bonus points per stay” to speed up my earning.

Does marriot offer anything similar to this?
You can buy points directly with Marriott or you can buy it from SPG and transfer it to Marriott. The IHG point packages are not such a good deal anyway - I won't pay more than $25 for 5000 points.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
normally with IHG I buy “+1000 bonus points per night” or “+5000 bonus points per stay” to speed up my earning. Does marriott offer anything similar to this?
It's not widespread, but some properties offer added points packages for a slightly higher room price. About US 1¢ per point extra. You need to look under "Deals & Packages" for each hotel.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tanic
It's not widespread, but some properties offer added points packages for a slightly higher room price. About US 1¢ per point extra. You need to look under "Deals & Packages" for each hotel.
thanks...

Last edited by Lewis42; Jun 19, 2018 at 7:44 am Reason: Removed part of my message
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Just a reminder, today is the last day for the 5%/7% deal at TCB.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanic

1c per a Marriott point is way too high a cost to pay.
thanks... I can hide these types of purchases in my expenses
Even if you can hide this in you expense reports, you may want to first study Marriott's hotel category charts (soon would change to a new one on Aug 1st), to see how many points required for the potential properties you may use - you would often find at 1c of a point cost, you actually LOSE money versus if you book it out right at cash rate. Dont blindly cumulate points until you know how much it would cost you to book a property you would actually use. Unless, since this is "other people's money" therefore you dont care ... Still you want to cleverly use this scheme so to maximize its benefits because this scheme is not 100% risk free even if you own the business that pays the travel expenses, for obvious reasons.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Happy
Even if you can hide this in you expense reports, you may want to first study Marriott's hotel category charts (soon would change to a new one on Aug 1st), to see how many points required for the potential properties you may use - you would often find at 1c of a point cost, you actually LOSE money versus if you book it out right at cash rate. Dont blindly cumulate points until you know how much it would cost you to book a property you would actually use. Unless, since this is "other people's money" therefore you dont care ... Still you want to cleverly use this scheme so to maximize its benefits because this scheme is not 100% risk free even if you own the business that pays the travel expenses, for obvious reasons.
Totally agree.

For me it's less than 50% of my stay is worth using points with Marriott, quite often I pay less than $100 for a cat. 5 hotel.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
Totally agree.

For me it's less than 50% of my stay is worth using points with Marriott, quite often I pay less than $100 for a cat. 5 hotel.
Exactly.

Personally I would not pay more than 0.5c for a Marriott point because once over this threshold, the benefit using pts has greatly diminished versus using cash booking outright, for the properties we tend to stay at. Have to be twice the value obtained before I would consider paying an out of pocket real cash to acquire points.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
thanks a lot. I appreciate the info and I’m aware of this.

Im trying to quickly accumulate to utilise the reduced prices August -> December for SPG top category.

Im pretty good at maximising the value of my points... I think.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:45 am

E-Bates is offering 4.5% rebate up from 1.5%. Not sure how long the offer is valid.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by Counsellor
E-Bates is offering 4.5% rebate up from 1.5%. Not sure how long the offer is valid.
On what? It wasn’t clear to me....sorry😕
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:28 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by icydog

On what? It wasn’t clear to me....sorry😕
Marriott bookings: https://www.ebates.com/marriotthotelsandresorts.com?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:03 am

E-Bates is offering a 3% rebate on Marriott properties bookings, up from 1.5%. Not sure how long the offer is valid.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:49 pm

Mr. Rebates is now at 4% for Marriott. Usually it is at 2%, doesn't last long at 4%.
https://www.mrrebates.com/merchant.asp?id=6608

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.