Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Aruba

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), AA P, Marriott PP (LT PP), SPG P (LT P), HH G, and Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
A Ritz Carlton is opening in Aruba, but just says "opening soon".

Cheers.
It is tentatively opening November 2, 2013.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:34 pm

Does anyone have any experience as a platinum at the Ren? Such as do they waive the resort free or free breakfast or anything like that?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just a nice room upgrade. They don't have a fixed resort fee, but a 'service charge' which is a percentage of the room rate.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Question

Originally Posted by rylan
Just a nice room upgrade. They don't have a fixed resort fee, but a 'service charge' which is a percentage of the room rate.
Almost all hotels on Caribbean islands have a 12--15% "service charge." I've always wondered what it's for? Tips for maids, concierges, bellmen, etc? Or what?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Originally Posted by Brendan
Almost all hotels on Caribbean islands have a 12--15% "service charge." I've always wondered what it's for? Tips for maids, concierges, bellmen, etc? Or what?
Does that service charge apply for stay reserved with points?

Edit: the "service charge" is included for my upcoming stay at the Renaissance & Stellaris. The "Estimated government taxes and fees" are included for the Renaissance but is $3/night for the Stellaris. Is that 'normal'?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is a "resort fee" then it generally does apply to award stays, since that fee is separate from the room rate. In Aruba the service charge is based off nightly room rate, so when your room rate is 0, your service charge is 0. Only except I've seen is some minor local room tax in places like Aruba on the order of that 3/nt.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow

Usually whoever pays the base rate, also pays the service charge. So if anyone pays it, it's Marriott Rewards (or Gold Passport or HHonors) to the hotel.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:56 am

Staying 2 nights at the Renaissance and 5 nights at the Stellaris, using points. Originally booked the lowest type of room (limited view, construction facing).

For both of my upcoming stays, I have been upgraded to Ocean view king room. Very happy with Marriott (and so will my girlfriend) :-)
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice. Be sure to enjoy the private island at the Ren as much as you can while you're there! Oh and the pool bar at the ocean suites side has a great 2 for 1 happy hour.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I've only seen a vague reference (and from a few years back) so I figured I'd ask: if we're staying at the Stellaris, do we get any free or discounted privileges to access the Ren's Private Island?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I've only seen a vague reference (and from a few years back) so I figured I'd ask: if we're staying at the Stellaris, do we get any free or discounted privileges to access the Ren's Private Island?
None at all. You have to be staying at the Renaissance. If you are not staying at the Renn., you can pay for daily access-$75pp. Includes lunch.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
None at all. You have to be staying at the Renaissance. If you are not staying at the Renn., you can pay for daily access-$75pp. Includes lunch.
Just returned from a 1-week points stay at the Marriott Ocean Club. You'd be better off taking the bus to Eagle Beach for about $4.60pp R/T and having lunch at one of the beach bars IMHO. Or go in the opposite direction towards Malmok and the lighthouse for the same fare.
It's definitely not a bad idea to seek out other beaches beyond the Marriott properties, since they tend to be crowded and not particularly impressive.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by CHOwahoo
Just returned from a 1-week points stay at the Marriott Ocean Club. You'd be better off taking the bus to Eagle Beach for about $4.60pp R/T and having lunch at one of the beach bars IMHO. Or go in the opposite direction towards Malmok and the lighthouse for the same fare.
It's definitely not a bad idea to seek out other beaches beyond the Marriott properties, since they tend to be crowded and not particularly impressive.
Ah, I came back on Sunday July 07 from 2 days at the Renaissance and 5 days at the Stellaris. Could not agree more with you. Eagle beach is nice (i actually walked down to there from the Stellaris, ~1hr walk and took the bus back to the hotel), and Malmok & Boca Catalina are awesome for snorkling (note that they are not any food options around those places so come with your lunch. There is also a small hot dog van near Arashi beach, few minutes walking north of Malmok)

I will leave a note on my feedback on those 2 hotels soon
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:55 pm

How is the construction going on at the Marriott Aruba?

I am planning on visiting Aruba during this xmas holidays(Dec27-Jan4).

I can use 280,000 pts on the Marriott Aruba or 210,000 on the Renny.

But the rooms at the Marriott states that its the adj to construction. How bad will it be.

Or what is the chance of getting upgraded to better room at the Marriott? I am a platinum premier if it matters, but I would imagine that week would be pretty busy for the hotel.

Would the Renny be a better option? though I would like to stay near Palm Beach instead of downtown.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Normally I'd say as plat and especially plat premier you would get a really nice upgrade, but your travel dates are peak holiday season so there is a chance the hotels will be packed and may not have rooms available for an upgrade. Not sure on how the construction noise will be then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.