Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Aruba

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by tuono07
It also didn't mention that he killed her only that he is a suspect!
I'm not the only one who didn't see that he killed her?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: MR PP, USAirways Platinum, DMS Premier, and SA Gold
Been to the Aruba Marriott & Stellaris? Did you receive an upgrade?

Honeymooning in Aruba in October on an awards stay. I upgraded from the base room to the Partial Ocean View room for a total of 310,000 MR points. I also purchased a $1000 in Marriott Cheques that I plan on using towards food/drinks during our stay.

A reservations manager emailed me with an offer to upgrade to their Tradewinds level (hotel within a hotel - improved service) for 70,000 additional points. I declined, as the rooms are the same, and I don't think we'll use many of the Tradewinds services (at least not to the point where it is worth 70,000 points). He did go ahead and upgrade me to an Ocean/Pool view room.

My fiancee REALLY wants an upgrade to the Grade Oceanfront King Suite due to the bamboo floors and huge corner balcony, but this is apparently only available as a points (240,000) + cash ($300/night) option.

Has anyone on the forum who has stayed here received a complimentary upgrade to a Grand Oceanfront King Suite? If they have empty suites, are they required to upgrade me based on my Platinum status?

I don't have a ton of experience with Marriott Resorts or FS Marriotts. I've been staying at a Fairfield Inn for business every other week for the last two years. They treat me well there and always work to upgrade me to their best room.

We're staying 10/17-10/24 (Monday to Monday)

Last edited by Justin7894; Sep 2, 2011 at 9:43 am
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Justin,

It's been a few years since I've been at that property. Been there 3 times in total. First one on a paid stay for our honeymoon and the other 2 on point stays. Although I'm a gold now all 3 stays were when I was a Platinum.

Have been "upgraded" everytime to ocean + pool view rooms without any extra points or cash. We have never been upgraded to the suites. The regular rooms are nice although my wife complained the floors were always cold (even on our honeymoon she refused to sleep in the same bed as me ....... kidding - her feet were cold from walking on the tile floors).

They had an option a few years ago of using points for an "all inclusive" stay and we found that was by far and away the best for us as we'd explored the island the first 2 times were went there. Not sure they do that anymore.

Make sure you sign up for the snorkeling trip to baby beach. Can't remember the name of the outfitter they recommended but it was a great way to spend an afternoon.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Justin7894
Honeymooning in Aruba in October on an awards stay. I upgraded from the base room to the Partial Ocean View room for a total of 310,000 MR points. I also purchased a $1000 in Marriott Cheques that I plan on using towards food/drinks during our stay.

A reservations manager emailed me with an offer to upgrade to their Tradewinds level (hotel within a hotel - improved service) for 70,000 additional points. I declined, as the rooms are the same, and I don't think we'll use many of the Tradewinds services (at least not to the point where it is worth 70,000 points). He did go ahead and upgrade me to an Ocean/Pool view room.

My fiancee REALLY wants an upgrade to the Grade Oceanfront King Suite due to the bamboo floors and huge corner balcony, but this is apparently only available as a points (240,000) + cash ($300/night) option.

Has anyone on the forum who has stayed here received a complimentary upgrade to a Grand Oceanfront King Suite? If they have empty suites, are they required to upgrade me based on my Platinum status?

I don't have a ton of experience with Marriott Resorts or FS Marriotts. I've been staying at a Fairfield Inn for business every other week for the last two years. They treat me well there and always work to upgrade me to their best room.

We're staying 10/17-10/24 (Monday to Monday)
I've stayed there several times, and last time with 4 rooms, and have never been upgraded to a suite.

My experience with suites is that you negotiate it once you arrive at the hotel. Ask them how much, then offer them half. They may not take it, but them may. As long as you're happy with a normal room, that's what I would do. I never pay points for upgrades anywhere, and always get great non-suite upgrades. Sometimes I get suites, but I certainly don't count on them. I rarely ask, though.

But the 70K points for upgrade to Tradewinds level sounds really nice to me. Guess it depends on what you think it's worth, but I think it's worth it, although I have not used the tradewinds level.

Billy
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
I've stayed there several times, and last time with 4 rooms, and have never been upgraded to a suite.

My experience with suites is that you negotiate it once you arrive at the hotel. Ask them how much, then offer them half. They may not take it, but them may. As long as you're happy with a normal room, that's what I would do. I never pay points for upgrades anywhere, and always get great non-suite upgrades. Sometimes I get suites, but I certainly don't count on them. I rarely ask, though.

But the 70K points for upgrade to Tradewinds level sounds really nice to me. Guess it depends on what you think it's worth, but I think it's worth it, although I have not used the tradewinds level.

Billy
Thanks for your response. I read an old thread where the OP stated that they were able to negotiate a lesser cash upgrade for the suite.

Your response has also prompted me to start a second thread about Tradewinds worth. Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:18 pm

Aruba Marriott - Tradewinds club level

This is a spinoff thread that was prompted based on a response I received about the Aruba Marriott Executive King Suites.

For those of you who have stayed on the Tradewinds level - While I really would like an Executive King Suite, I was offered an upgrade to Tradewinds level for 70,000 MR points.

What are your thoughts? Is it worth it? To me, it seems the argument for Tradewinds is the free food/drinks; however, with my $1000 Marriott Cheque, this isn't a big concern. Are there other benefits that frequent Marriott stayers found beneficial?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
There's been a lot of postings on FT about the Tradewinds. I researched it for my trip there last December. Decided against it. Just not worth it.

I was Platinum at the time and got upgraded to an ocean/pool view room. We used gift cheques and had a great time. The Ruth's Chris there is good and the pool bar is a lot of fun. Use you cheques to pay for the multiple rounds of drinks you'll consume during 2 for 1 happy hour at the pool bar
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
We were there last December and got upgraded to the ocean/pool view room. The room we had was nice and sufficient. Being a honeymoon, having a suite is a nice perk and might be very memorable. The view from the ocean/pool view room is pretty nice, too.

The Tradewinds is not that big of a deal. Search the forum for details.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Last summer I booked a base/island view/cheapo award room and was given a top floor, corner suite - probably one of the two nicest in the property.

If they have empty suites, are they required to upgrade me based on my Platinum status?
Marriott's PLT upgrade T&C's explicity exclude suites
Free Room Upgrade: Suites not included; based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Aruba Surf Club Pool Closed September-October 2012

FYI: My DW found this on the Aruba Forums. Very important for next year's vacation planning for Gold Week holders.

http://www.aruba-bb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84465
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yikes... thanks for the update! I was planning a week stay there early next Sept. Would've been awful to show up and discover that the pool complex is closed. I wonder how they're going to accommodate everyone.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Last summer I booked a base/island view/cheapo award room and was given a top floor, corner suite - probably one of the two nicest in the property.
How did you do this? Did they simply offer it upon check in?

I realize that suites are cash-only upgrades, but if the hotel isn't at full capacity, I don't see the harm. Especially for a platinum guest on his honeymoon.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:55 am

Anyone else have experience with the Tradewinds?

Instead of offering me the 70,000MR points for a Tradewinds upgrade, I would have preferred a non-tradewinds suite upgrade.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
How did you do this? Did they simply offer it upon check in?
Yes, it's simply where they put me at check-in. I've had great experiences at vacation resorts with PLT status - much better than my normal weekly business travel.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, it's simply where they put me at check-in. I've had great experiences at vacation resorts with PLT status - much better than my normal weekly business travel.
I'll certainly keep my fingers crossed. I though about emailing the GM to put a request in, but I'll just take my chances during check in. I suppose I could always try to negotiate a points or small cash upgrade if they won't give me a complimentary upgrade. I do have $1000 marriott cheques that we were planning to use on food/drinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.