FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Certificate expiration (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1296259-certificate-expiration.html)

sdsearch Jul 1, 2013 9:30 am

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 21017755)
Marriott quarterly promo. There is one running at the moment.

Well, we who've been around a while may think of that as a MegaBonus, but Marriott is instead calling the current promo the Unexpected Bonus. So I can see how someone recently arrived to Marriott, and knowing about the Unexpected Bonus, might still not know what we mean by MegaBonus.

mclain Aug 9, 2013 9:57 am

Certificate expiration dates

Anyone run into this problem?
Had a cat 1-4 cert, expiration date 8/8/13. Called on 8/8 to make res to use cert that night, only to be told that the cert had already been pulled out of my account, and that it had to be used by the night of the 7th.
Still working on getting this straightened out...comments??

SkiAdcock Aug 9, 2013 9:58 am

The last day it could be used is 8/8, not 8/7.

Cheers.

mclain Aug 9, 2013 12:55 pm

Cert Expiration

Yes, that is my position as well. But the Plat CS rep that I spoke to when trying to make the reservation checked with "someone" who said although the expiration date was 8/8, it actually expired at midnight on 8/7...so the cert was pulled from my account based on that.
Seems Marriott ought to know and abide by it's own rules. In the meantime, others who have certs to use, beware!

SkiAdcock Aug 9, 2013 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by mclain (Post 21244145)
Yes, that is my position as well. But the Plat CS rep that I spoke to when trying to make the reservation checked with "someone" who said although the expiration date was 8/8, it actually expired at midnight on 8/7...so the cert was pulled from my account based on that.
Seems Marriott ought to know and abide by it's own rules. In the meantime, others who have certs to use, beware!

If it expired at midnight on the 7th, then the expiration date should have been the 7th. PM Marriott Concierge & ask for assistance.

Cheers.

mclain Aug 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Did that--we'll see if I get a reply.

mclain Aug 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Finally just today got an answer to this question from Marriott concierge. The cert's are good through the date on the certificate, they do NOT expire at midnight the night before as I was originally told by Marriott CS . And even if they are pulled from the account for some reason (he couldn't explain that), they are still good through the original expiration date. I was issued a replacement cert to compensate me for their screw-up, which I appreciate.

SkiAdcock Aug 30, 2013 6:55 am

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated!

Cheers.

Time Away Sep 7, 2013 7:28 pm

I have had mixed answers on this same issue. I've had some make it work and others when it doesn't. Guess it depends on who you get on the phone.

lland Sep 14, 2013 7:34 am

A simple phone call to Marriott and they will extend it for another six months. I called and the rep, as helpful as can be, told me they have no problems extending the expiration date but also told me to call closer to the expiration date in case my plans change. I called a couple of months later and got a rep who acted like he was moving the world to get it done. Rude, condescending, ambivalent. I complained about his behavior to Marriott and got a response that he's been known to act like that and "will be spoken to." One thing about Marriott customer service...whenever I've had an issue, I've received a response within 24 hours and if not resolved then, soon after.

Bottom line, call them and ask for an extension.

LL

Ord Liza Sep 14, 2013 7:49 am

Originally Posted by lland (Post 21443512)
A simple phone call to Marriott and they will extend it for another six months. I called and the rep, as helpful as can be, told me they have no problems extending the expiration date but also told me to call closer to the expiration date in case my plans change. I called a couple of months later and got a rep who acted like he was moving the world to get it done. Rude, condescending, ambivalent. I complained about his behavior to Marriott and got a response that he's been known to act like that and "will be spoken to." One thing about Marriott customer service...whenever I've had an issue, I've received a response within 24 hours and if not resolved then, soon after.

Bottom line, call them and ask for an extension.

LL

My experience has been that the certs get extended for 6 months from the date you call, not from the date they were due to expire. That may have been part of the reason the rep advised you to wait before extending.

Red259 Sep 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Free night certs

I have some category 1-5 free night certs and I have never used them before. I have a few questions.

1. I see people posting that they got their certs extended for six months (from the date of the call) by calling in to Marriott? Is this more the exception or the rule?

Specifically, my certs expire in early sept of next year. I was looking to go on a trip a few weeks after the expiration date. If I book the room before the expiration date would that help me avoid the deadline or does the stay actually have to occur prior to the deadline?

2. Do I receive plat benefits (e.g., lounge access, upgrades) on cert stays? I saw people posting that they got upgrades on stays booked with points and was wondering if certs are handled the same way.

BKKLEE Sep 15, 2013 5:41 pm

1. if you read closer to what is being stated you'd find out that the certs that others are talking about getting extended are NOT the MegaBonus certs but the yearly Visa certs........

the stay MUST occur before the cert expires...........

2. this question has repeatedly been asked/answered..........the answer hasn't changed - cert stays are treated like cash stays............if at the time of use you have status you're entilted to the associated benefits.........

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 21449796)
I have some category 1-5 free night certs and I have never used them before. I have a few questions.

1. I see people posting that they got their certs extended for six months (from the date of the call) by calling in to Marriott? Is this more the exception or the rule?

Specifically, my certs expire in early sept of next year. I was looking to go on a trip a few weeks after the expiration date. If I book the room before the expiration date would that help me avoid the deadline or does the stay actually have to occur prior to the deadline?

2. Do I receive plat benefits (e.g., lounge access, upgrades) on cert stays? I saw people posting that they got upgrades on stays booked with points and was wondering if certs are handled the same way.

Red259 Sep 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 21449861)
1. if you read closer to what is being stated you'd find out that the certs that others are talking about getting extended are NOT the MegaBonus certs but the yearly Visa certs........

the stay MUST occur before the cert expires...........

2. this question has repeatedly been asked/answered..........the answer hasn't changed - cert stays are treated like cash stays............if at the time of use you have status you're entilted to the associated benefits.........

They just said certs in the post and it wasn't clear to me that they were talking about the visa certs (I wouldn't have even known if there was any difference between how the two were treated anyway), which is why I asked the question. Thank you for the answer about the cert stays being treated as cash.

BKKLEE Sep 15, 2013 10:34 pm

the info on Visa cert extensions found throughout this thread --
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ture-card.html

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 21449897)
They just said certs in the post and it wasn't clear to me that they were talking about the visa certs (I wouldn't have even known if there was any difference between how the two were treated anyway), which is why I asked the question. Thank you for the answer about the cert stays being treated as cash.