FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Certificate expiration (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1296259-certificate-expiration.html)

hauteboy Oct 10, 2019 4:02 pm

I had called a few weeks ago to extend my old SPG Amex FNA, it was due to expire last week and they extended it a year. I was hoping to use it for this weekend. I thought I had seen 2 certs in my account (last year's + this years)? But now only seeing 1 award. Does extending the old one void the one for this year? Or am I just misremembering seeing two awards?

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Oct 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy (Post 31614455)
I had called a few weeks ago to extend my old SPG Amex FNA, it was due to expire last week and they extended it a year. I was hoping to use it for this weekend. I thought I had seen 2 certs in my account (last year's + this years)? But now only seeing 1 award. Does extending the old one void the one for this year? Or am I just misremembering seeing two awards?

Hi hauteboy! I'd be happy to check on this for you! Send a PM on here or send an email to: [email protected] with your Marriott Bonvoy Account details and I'll look into this right away! ^

agjil Oct 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker (Post 31614525)
Hi hauteboy! I'd be happy to check on this for you! Send a PM on here or send an email to: [email protected] with your Marriott Bonvoy Account details and I'll look into this right away! ^

Hi Lurker, would you mind answering his question publicly here?
I have the exact same question: if you extend a free night cert that was given from a credit card last year, does it void the current year's cert?

escapefromphl Oct 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by agjil (Post 31618080)
I have the exact same question: if you extend a free night cert that was given from a credit card last year, does it void the current year's cert?

I have extended the certs before a few times before without voiding current years cert.

agjil Oct 11, 2019 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 31618234)
I have extended the certs before a few times before without voiding current years cert.

That's great to know, thanks for sharing!

pokee Oct 13, 2019 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 31618234)

How have you extended certs a few times when typically they'll only allow it as a one time courtesy?

And have you done this recently - since after the merge and/or since the FNA changes from Amex?

If you have a screenshot of what it looks like in our accounts, I'd love to see it. Thanks

pokee Oct 13, 2019 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy (Post 31614455)

This concerns me, because I'm skeptical that our accounts can handle two Amex FNAs at once (because they're meant to be used singularly, once a year). If you didn't use this year's free night, where'd it go?

Has anyone ever successfully booked two free nights or more with Amex annual FNAs (using one or more extended FNAs and one that was recently added)?

pokee Oct 13, 2019 11:56 pm

Something tells me they're not going to answer this question publicly. And something also tells me there's likely glitches with the posting of your Amex free night cert if there's already one there...

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Oct 14, 2019 8:10 am

Hello agjil! Extending an existing certificate would not have any effect on another certificate. Thanks!

fastflyer Nov 20, 2019 10:39 am

If my Amex FNA certificate expires on December 2, may I use it for a one-night stay on December 2 (with check-out on December 3)? Does this require a special phone call to Bonvoy to apply the certificate?

escapefromphl Nov 20, 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by fastflyer (Post 31758441)
If my Amex FNA certificate expires on December 2, may I use it for a one-night stay on December 2 (with check-out on December 3)? Does this require a special phone call to Bonvoy to apply the certificate?

Why don't you try, if the website gives you the option to and allows you to attach it you should be fine, otherwise you would need to get it extended to be able to use it.