FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Certificate expiration (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1296259-certificate-expiration.html)

Moriens Dec 31, 2011 1:54 am

The certificate I was planning to use today (12/31) just disappeared from my account before I could use it.

njcommodore Dec 31, 2011 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Moriens (Post 17719980)
The certificate I was planning to use today (12/31) just disappeared from my account before I could use it.

Call the reservation line and see what they can do.

Moriens Dec 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore (Post 17722453)
Call the reservation line and see what they can do.

I did, and they found the certificate, so I guess it's merely another website problem.

Thanks, njcommodore! You saved me over a hundred bucks!

(Maybe the website doesn't show certificates if the expiration date is less than or equal to today's date, when they should be using strictly less than. Or it could be related to the problems in this thread.)

RNE Jan 7, 2012 6:50 pm

Can I Get My Free Cat 4 Night on the Expiration Date?

I have a Marriott credit card that gives me a free category 4 hotel night. The reward expiration date is 02/10/2012, which happens to be a special date to my wife and me. Can I get my free night on the 10th or has it expired by then?

BKKLEE Jan 7, 2012 8:39 pm

using it on the 10th is OK, but go ahead and make your online reservation and you can check it out foir yourself as it will confirm using the online cert

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 17769185)
I have a Marriott credit card that gives me a free category 4 hotel night. The reward expiration date is 02/10/2012, which happens to be a special date to my wife and me. Can I get my free night on the 10th or has it expired by then?

RNE Jan 8, 2012 7:18 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 17769585)
using it on the 10th is OK, but go ahead and make your online reservation and you can check it out foir yourself as it will confirm using the online cert

Well, that's part of the problem. While I can see the "Visa free night category 1-4 hotels" certificate in my Account Activity page, I don't see any certificate number nor exactly how I would apply said certificate to a hotel stay. Thus I cannot conduct the test you suggest. What am I missing?

freeflyin Jan 8, 2012 7:53 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 17771255)
Well, that's part of the problem. While I can see the "Visa free night category 1-4 hotels" certificate in my Account Activity page, I don't see any certificate number nor exactly how I would apply said certificate to a hotel stay. Thus I cannot conduct the test you suggest. What am I missing?

Yes, a stay on the expiration date will work-I just did one last week with an expiring one.

Go through the booking as usual as if you were using MR points. At one point during the booking, the certificate will show and you will be prompted for confirmation that you want it to be used for the reservation.

RNE Jan 8, 2012 9:51 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 17771397)
Go through the booking as usual as if you were using MR points. At one point during the booking, the certificate will show and you will be prompted for confirmation that you want it to be used for the reservation.

Worked like a charm! Thank you.

fwfdan Jan 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Wish I had seen this earlier - looked yesterday and saw that they took 20,000 points from my account and the certificate is gone too....

kar120c Jan 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan (Post 17846311)
Wish I had seen this earlier - looked yesterday and saw that they took 20,000 points from my account and the certificate is gone too....

This has happened to several people who have posted here, including me, although I haven't seen a good explanation of why Marriott seems to do this so often. Call MR and you should get the points back, assuming you used the certificate in time.

(Oh, just saw your post in the other thread. I didn't waste time emailing, just called them, they fixed it right away.)

mclymerne Jan 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Does anyone have any luck in getting these extended by 4 months or so? I've got two that expire May 31st but I'd love to be able to use them for a planned weekend vacation in early September. I am plat so I'm hoping they might be a little more willing to extend them. Thanks.

waterbug111 May 8, 2012 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mclymerne (Post 17846796)
Does anyone have any luck in getting these extended by 4 months or so?

I have not heard of a 4 month extension, but a Marriott Rewards Desk rep just informed me of a 30 to 60 day extension. Here's the background:

I redeemed a certificate last month for this upcoming weekend (5/11), and when I checked my reservation online today, it stated I do not have enough points to cover my stay (it did not say that prior to today). I called the reservation line and was told that since the cert expired on 5/7 and my reservation is for 5/11, my certificate is no longer valid. The agent transfered me the reward desk and that agent told me the certs will still be honored at least 30 days past expiration, and in some case up to 60 days past expiration - as long as the cert is attached to the reservation. Has anyone else heard of this?

njcommodore May 9, 2012 5:26 am

I received an extension on a cert last year, I don't remember if it was 4 or 6 months. Definitely one of the two.

KonaKid7052 May 9, 2012 6:32 am

I have been granted an extension in the past. It is certainly worth calling and making the request. I usually say that I was hoping to use the certificate on my way to a future Marriott Vacation Club stay. They seem to agree if it seems like I want to use the certificate in a way that will generate more Marriott income.

hhoope01 May 9, 2012 7:29 am

Originally Posted by where2next (Post 18541310)
It is certainly worth calling and making the request.

I definitely agree with this, but don't expect that Marriott will bend the rules every time or specifically for your situation.

There seems to be enough anectdotal evidence that an extension is possible, but that doesn't mean every agent will do it or that specific agents will do it every time.