FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Certificate expiration (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1296259-certificate-expiration.html)

StephanyKR Jun 4, 2007 6:56 am

How can you tell when it expires if it is an eletronic certificate? I have searched on the MR site to no avail.
THanks!

Cargojon Jun 5, 2007 8:35 am

Originally Posted by StephanyKR (Post 7845726)
How can you tell when it expires if it is an eletronic certificate? I have searched on the MR site to no avail.
THanks!

Sorry, dont' know...mine's a paper cert.

jlcchien Jan 28, 2008 7:35 pm

extending the deadline for Mariott Rewards Visa Free night e-certificate

I have a Mariott Rewards Visa Free Night e-certificate that is going to expire soon. Has anyone succeeded in getting this type of certificate use deadline extended?

sophiegirl Jan 28, 2008 8:02 pm

I requested and was refused. Called again to try another CS - same result. I would plan on using if I were you!

sophiegirl Jan 28, 2008 8:04 pm

also - YOU must personally use it - and they will ask for ID. I could not even get acceptance to let my husband use it - and I am a plat.

Wolfie Jan 28, 2008 8:31 pm

I have tried in the past to get one extended, was told absolutely not.

Called back and was told the same thing.

Plan a trip and use it up!

hman Jan 30, 2009 12:51 pm

I went on line to book a room in June and the option to book using my e-certificate was selectable although the expiration date on my certificate is in April. Is there any chance that if I attach the certificate to the reservation now, would it still be accepted at check-in, or would the request be denied at the point of check-in? Anyone have any first hand experience?

Thanks,

TravelingJoel Jan 30, 2009 1:08 pm

Certificates must be valid at the time of use. I've had some success in the past if my check-IN date was prior to the expiration, presenting it at check-in and ensuring they made a note on the folio. However, even that is bending the rules a bit.

welookgood.com Feb 13, 2009 6:23 pm

Attaching a certificate that will expire before res?

I need to make an award reservation for May. I have an e-certificate (from credit card) that expires in March. Marriott lets me apply the ecertificate to the reservation.

Will it be valid?

fredlisancnc Feb 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by welookgood.com (Post 11254961)
I need to make an award reservation for May. I have an e-certificate (from credit card) that expires in March. Marriott lets me apply the ecertificate to the reservation.

Will it be valid?

Technically, no. Would it be accepted by a front desk person who doesn't look too closely at the expiration? Maybe...Would not count on it, though.

NWA-PLAT Feb 13, 2009 8:09 pm

I had this experience last year. Upon making my online reservation, the computer notified me I had an e-cert and asked if I wanted to use it. I did it, not realizing it would expire before my trip. I only realized there was a problem just before my departure. I called & e-mailed Marriott Rewards and all they would do is take points from my account to cover the room.

Only when I contatced Marriott Concierge here in FT, did it get resolved. I was able to use my expired certificate for the 1 night. Even then, when I checked out there was massive confusion that held me up about 20 minutes while the meter on my taxi was running outside the lobby.

Fripp Feb 13, 2009 8:31 pm

I had this happen to me last year. I made a reservation using the certificate and I asked if it would still be valid prior to making the reservation. I was told it would, since I was making the reservation prior to the expiration of the certificate.

Just prior to my travel date, I called again to make sure it was valid and was told it was not. I was told to send a letter to Marriott. I did so, and received another certificate good for an additional six months.

Moral of the story--use the certificate before it expires. I was lucky.

David10225 Nov 28, 2010 4:00 am

Expiring Certificate

I have a certificate in my account called:

2010 SUMMER PROMOTION FREE NIGHT CERTIFICATE, CAT 1-4 HOTEL

that expired end of year. Can I use that certificate to make a reservation for someone else in my family, or do I have to occupy that room?

Mr. Vker Nov 28, 2010 7:08 am

Originally Posted by David10225 (Post 15314743)
I have a certificate in my account called:

2010 SUMMER PROMOTION FREE NIGHT CERTIFICATE, CAT 1-4 HOTEL

that expired end of year. Can I use that certificate to make a reservation for someone else in my family, or do I have to occupy that room?

I dont know about this one, but they are VERY tough on the Chase free night certs. Totally NOT transferrable. Not even husband to wife if not travelling together. Best bet is to call and ask.

exiled2tx Nov 29, 2010 4:59 pm

Asked Marriott about this promo a couple of months ago as I wanted to let my wife use it. Answer was no.