FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Certificate expiration (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1296259-certificate-expiration.html)

Tizzette Apr 29, 2015 3:14 pm

No high status, just Silver. First time it was extended, we had to change plans because of a broken arm. Second time, I simply said that my six time period doesn't work for me and is there any way to get that changed? And the agent extended the certificate for six months.

beachbrew Apr 30, 2015 3:28 pm

data point recently recieved my chase certificate and its good for one year!

NJUPINTHEAIR Apr 30, 2015 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by beachbrew (Post 24746811)
data point recently recieved my chase certificate and its good for one year!

Good for you! That likely means that one will be able to extend it for another year.

lfrank Jul 9, 2015 2:22 pm

Expiration of Visa Anniversity Free Night

I'm confused about the duration of the Premier Visa Anniversary Free Night. My wife and I each have a separate Marriott credit card. She is Silver and I'm Platinum. Our anniversary dates are a couple of months apart. Her free night expires in one year. My free night expires in 6 months. She never uses her card for hotel stays since I want to maintain platinum status. I wonder why the difference?

ExArkie Jul 9, 2015 3:06 pm

They appear to have changed the expiration recently from six months to one year. Early June, my wife (gold) got a notice that she would be receiving the free night cert, with the fine print saying it would be valid for six months. When it posted a week or so later, the expiration was one year. My (platinum) anniversary date was a few weeks after hers and was cited as a one year expiration from the start. So, it looks like they may have changed from six months to a year within the past few weeks.

Perhaps your anniversary date was just prior to the change and your wife's just after?

jm1991 Jul 9, 2015 4:51 pm

it doesnt really matter, they usually extend the 6 months to a year with a quick call to chase or SM.

cfischer Jul 9, 2015 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by jm1991 (Post 25094367)
it doesnt really matter, they usually extend the 6 months to a year with a quick call to chase or SM.

I have tried that many times and was always told it's a no-go :confused:

glad to hear they are now handing them out w/ 12 month expiration dates, but they are pretty much useless anyways as cat. 5 is rarely even a remote option where I would want to use a certificate.

Tizzette Jul 9, 2015 5:35 pm

I was told by a CS rep that there's been a change and when you get your next 1-5 certificate, it will be good for 12 months instead of six.

I found that out when calling to get my six months certificate extended again, as I have done successfully the past couple of years. This year the answer was no because it had already been done for me twice and I wasn't using the card regularly.

lfrank Jul 9, 2015 6:26 pm

Thanks for answers

Thanks for the responses to my question. My anniversary date was about three months ago, and my wife's was in mid June, so your answers explain the difference.

jn in ca Jul 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Thank goodness that Marriott finally extended the expiration dates. ^ I have been nicely making that complaint to Marriott ever since I got the card: the expiration should be a nice easy to remember one year. When it is 6 months, people play games with their sign up dates to make sure the free night works for them. In the end, that probably costs Chase/Marriott some sign ups. Yeah, they are happy to extend it for another 6 months, but how many potential cardholders know that? IOW, why hide a benefit?

BTW, as for the comment above that the free night could NOT be extended, search FT and you will find previous examples that the free night certs from Megabonus cannot be extended, but the ones from the Chase card can be extended. E.g.- Using free night certificates for stays beyond expiration date

Personally, I have extended the annual free night certs many times, but I've never tried to extend one of the Megabonus free night certs.

Westcoaster Jul 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Confusing email

This past week I got the email notifying me about the free night certificate posting in my account. It says that the free night is valid for stays through July 7, 2016 -- so one year, which is nice. But the explanatory paragraph below says "The E-Certificate must be redeemed within 6 months from date of issue." Huh?

I called Customer Support and was told that the one year expiry is correct. When I asked the guy to please notify their IT support staff (or whoever else would be appropriate) about the confusing wording he resisted as if it were no big deal. I asked him to please do it so we'll see whether they get this corrected.

Edited to add: In my account the expiry date is 7/7/16 so at least that agrees with what the guy said.

Tizzette Jul 11, 2015 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca (Post 25103067)
Thank goodness that Marriott finally extended the expiration dates. ^ I have been nicely making that complaint to Marriott ever since I got the card: the expiration should be a nice easy to remember one year. When it is 6 months, people play games with their sign up dates to make sure the free night works for them. In the end, that probably costs Chase/Marriott some sign ups. Yeah, they are happy to extend it for another 6 months, but how many potential cardholders know that? IOW, why hide a benefit?

BTW, as for the comment above that the free night could NOT be extended, search FT and you will find previous examples that the free night certs from Megabonus cannot be extended, but the ones from the Chase card can be extended. E.g.- Using free night certificates for stays beyond expiration date

Personally, I have extended the annual free night certs many times, but I've never tried to extend one of the Megabonus free night certs.

It was a Chase 1-5 six month certificate that I could not get extended. I had been able to extend it the previous two years, but this year NO. Perhaps you have better luck because you are higher value to Marriot due to more hotel stays and/or spending on the credit card.

bigshooter Jul 12, 2015 12:50 pm

My cat 5 cert from the credit card actually expired 7/5 and I forgot about it. I called in on Friday and they reissued it, plus extended it a year. I'm saving it for next year when I get an additional cat 5 cert so I can use them for a weekend somewhere.

cfischer Jul 12, 2015 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca (Post 25103067)

I called multiple times and was each time told they cannot be extended. They ended up expiring.

chuckworth Jul 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Expiration of Visa Anniversity Free Night

Extended mine successfully about five months ago. Gave me another six months but the rep said it could not be extended again after that.

Now the question will be whether or not they will allow extensions after the new one year expiration date. I could see them saying no to this going forward.