Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gran Hotel dei Dogi, The Dedica Anthology, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gran Hotel dei Dogi, The Dedica Anthology, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:04 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tbrein
This is the email for the front office manager. [email protected]. I would not hold out much hope that she’ll answer you.
Hope you have better luck than I had.
Well, that address bounced ... I'm currently trying [email protected]
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by skj
Well, that address bounced ... I'm currently trying [email protected]
I’m sorry. I transposed Boscolo and Venezia. I just looked at the email again.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:21 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I’m sorry. I transposed Boscolo and Venezia. I just looked at the email again.
Not a problem ... I noticed that when I found the reception@ email address.

I did get a reply from the hotel early this morning, which seems pretty responsive to me.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Platinum Arrival Gift

Anyone chosen the cheese plate or red wine ? Comments on quality/value or should I just take the points?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
My wife and I will be flying straight into Venice from Austin. We will each have one rolling suitcase, and a carryon. What is the most cost effective and time effective way to get to the hotel? I don't want to shell out for a private water taxi.
Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
We visited in 2014. Here's what's in my trip notes and what I remember:

From the airport (VCE) to the Boscolo hotel - take the Orange line boat (LINEA ALILAGUNA ARANCIO) to the first stop (ORTO or "M. DELL'ORTO" on the map/schedule). It leaves the airport fairly frequently (my old notes say every 30 minutes beginning at 8am until 7:30pm, then about every hour after that until 11:45pm).

As I remember, after we exited baggage claim, we found a booth within the airport lobby where we were able to purchase tickets for the Orange Line. (My memory is sketchy, but it was around 15 Euro per person in 2014?) Then exit the airport doors, walk towards the street, but turn left onto the sidewalk before crossing the street. Keep walking until you see the boats docked on the lagoon. (It's a 10 minute walk, maybe a little longer.) Look for the Orange Line boat.

It is then about a 30 minute trip by boat. There should be plenty of room for luggage.

When we got off at Orto, we walked more or less straight ahead (zigging and zagging between some buildings, but it was pretty obvious where to go). When you reach the canal, look to your right. Ta da! Not too far further (along the canal) is the hotel entrance. If I remember, the hotel was only a 5-10 minute walk from the Orto stop.

If you search Google on "Venice vaporetto map" you should come across some maps that will give you the idea. Or you can purchase a Venice map (on Amazon) that includes a map of the water buses. (I did, and I found the vaporetto map helpful when we wanted to go to Torcello and Burano. When our hotel stay was over, we got on a cruise ship departing Venice, so the map also helped me understand how to get from the hotel to the cruise port. I felt that it was easier to take a vaporetto rather than walk to the cruise port (or the rail station) because it's not so easy dragging luggage over all those Venice bridges.)

EDIT: I just realize that I posted directions (better than this, because it was fresh in my mind) a few years ago. Look at post 62 in this thread.

Last edited by GetawaysRus; Jan 11, 2018 at 7:21 pm
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:27 am

Thanks GtewaysRus! I missed it my first time reading through somehow.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:52 am

We stayed there April 5 - 7th. I did not get upgraded and my room was about 200 square feet. You couldn't open the bathroom door more than 90 degrees before the door hit the toilet. Very disappointed in the room and I would have been really upset if I paid >250 euros for this room. I did the Marriott survey and got this response which is a bunch of crap since the hotel wasn't full and I find it hard to believe a larger room wasn't available for a platinum member staying only two nights.

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. We are glad to read your generous comments about our great breakfats anfd friendly staff!
We are sorry to hear that your room fell short of expectations. Our hotel is a converted venetian Palace and our rooms do have different layouts and sizes As far as the building is concerned, as you could personally see, ours is a boutique Hotel that not only undergoes architectural restrictions and local regulations, but that was also carefully restored over the centuries with preservative methods in order to retain the atmosphere of a patrician home.

The breakfast buffet was outstanding and included for elite members. The staff were very helpful and friendly. To get to the train station there were 4 bridges you had to take your luggage over and it wasn't bad at all. It took about 15 minutes to get there.

GTewaysRus was spot on with his directions from the water taxi.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Thanks for the update NDtraveler, looks like we will be following in your footsteps later this year. Also starting our trip in Venice at the Boscolo, then taking train onto Florence to stay at the Sina (will comment on that post as well.) I appreciate the info on walking with bags to train station as it was tough to tell from a map how easy it would be.

I am bummed to hear the description of your room. We will be there on a 4 night paid stay (yup, 300 euros a night), although I was able to get a Panorama room via a AAA rate that should be a step up from their smallest room and will have a view of the water. We will be using points for our 5 night stays in Florence and Rome.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:43 am

Anytime! I think you will like the Sina much more. Message me if you have any questions.

ND Traveler
jtwiz likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
We stayed here for one night on points on our recent Europe vacation. We had debated about staying multiple nights in Venice as we had previously visited all other stops on this trip, but in retrospect, one night was more than enough (no fault of the hotel!) We opted to take a private water taxi from the train station for 60EUR and arrived 10 minutes later at its doorstep. Given we arrived at 11am, our room was not yet ready so we checked our bags and took the hotel water taxi to San Marco square which is close to a 30 min trip on the water. After wandering the scorching and packed streets for a few hours, we returned to the hotel to grab our room keys. We were given a room at the back of the property behind the gardens near the dock that was directly on the water on the first floor which was a nice treat. We were so close to the water, you could literally jump out the water into the water (not that one would want to!). The room was of standard size and a little dated, but that was the motif of the hotel as a whole.

Service at the hotel was top notch, whether it be dealing with our check-in/out, the concierge and at breakfast. Although some have complained about the location, I thought it was great as the crowds in the main area were insane and the area around the hotel was relatively quiet. It was approx. a 30 min walk to the main tourist area. With my gold status, we had access to the full buffet which was quite expansive and did the trick. Upon check-out, we opted for a private water taxi to the airport for 120EUR as opposed to opting for the public transportation and served as a nice departure from the city. One item of note is we opted to book a gondola through the hotel for that evening for 140EUR which was waiting as planned which I thought was worthwhile as opposed to having to haggle with the guys at the dock. All in all, this hotel fit the bill for a quick one night in Venice
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by habshabs444
We stayed here for one night on points on our recent Europe vacation. We had debated about staying multiple nights in Venice as we had previously visited all other stops on this trip, but in retrospect, one night was more than enough (no fault of the hotel!) We opted to take a private water taxi from the train station for 60EUR and arrived 10 minutes later at its doorstep. Given we arrived at 11am, our room was not yet ready so we checked our bags and took the hotel water taxi to San Marco square which is close to a 30 min trip on the water. After wandering the scorching and packed streets for a few hours, we returned to the hotel to grab our room keys. We were given a room at the back of the property behind the gardens near the dock that was directly on the water on the first floor which was a nice treat. We were so close to the water, you could literally jump out the water into the water (not that one would want to!). The room was of standard size and a little dated, but that was the motif of the hotel as a whole.

Service at the hotel was top notch, whether it be dealing with our check-in/out, the concierge and at breakfast. Although some have complained about the location, I thought it was great as the crowds in the main area were insane and the area around the hotel was relatively quiet. It was approx. a 30 min walk to the main tourist area. With my gold status, we had access to the full buffet which was quite expansive and did the trick. Upon check-out, we opted for a private water taxi to the airport for 120EUR as opposed to opting for the public transportation and served as a nice departure from the city. One item of note is we opted to book a gondola through the hotel for that evening for 140EUR which was waiting as planned which I thought was worthwhile as opposed to having to haggle with the guys at the dock. All in all, this hotel fit the bill for a quick one night in Venice
Appreciate the comments. We are checking in tomorrow for four nights after a cruise. Looking forward to staying there after many good experiences in Rome at the Exedra (now Palazzo Naiadi) I am lifetime Platinum so we will see how things go.
Hope to post a report upon my return.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz

Appreciate the comments. We are checking in tomorrow for four nights after a cruise. Looking forward to staying there after many good experiences in Rome at the Exedra (now Palazzo Naiadi) I am lifetime Platinum so we will see how things go.
Hope to post a report upon my return.
Please do! We check in about 5 weeks from now. I would love to hear your thoughts as a Plat. I must say, I am interested (OK, worried) about how the benefits will change post the August 18th merger as we are staying in 3 different Marriotts over our 2 week vacation.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Email for hotel

Does anyone have the new email from hotel since they changed names? I have old ones and have emailed Marriott for it but who knows how long that will take the their poor response times right now. It’s already been at least a couple of weeks. Thanks for your assistance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.