Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gran Hotel dei Dogi, The Dedica Anthology, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gran Hotel dei Dogi, The Dedica Anthology, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're going to have that issue wherever in Venice you stay. You can either take public transportation, which will involve some measure of hassle, or drop the cash for a private water taxi.

We did the private taxi both directions last April (did not stay at Boscolo) and I found it well worth the money. The boats are gorgeous and it's a super cool experience.
Will do private taxi rather than water bus. Advantage at Hilton is concierge will arrange water taxi to share.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rstidolph
Advantage at Hilton is concierge will arrange water taxi to share.
Got it. Thanks for the explanation.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
On site as a Marriott Gold. Wow. I have rarely felt so disrespected at a property.

We booked a Deluxe room with a king bed or two twins. First room they gave us was tiny — all it could fit was a double bed. I don't even see this room marketed on their website, thus leading me to believe it's one of those unspoken worst rooms in the house.

Back to the front desk with a copy of our booking. "It says king bed or two twins," I say.

The manager comes out. He gives a long, patronizing speech about how European hotels were built earlier to a lower standard when it comes to square footage and that European bed types are smaller.

"My booking says king," I say.

Finally, he huffs, types types types, and finds us the room next door, which looks similar to the standard deluxe room on the website. No upgrade for a Marriott Gold, but at least we got upgraded back into a standard room.

By the way, we also arrived at 12:30 PM and waited in the lobby until 4:00 PM on the dot to check in.

Will report back on how breakfast and late check-out goes. We honestly thought about picking up and moving to the Hilton (I am Diamond), but we think we will enjoy Venice more by foot than by boat.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by stvr
On site as a Marriott Gold. Wow. I have rarely felt so disrespected at a property.

We booked a Deluxe room with a king bed or two twins. First room they gave us was tiny — all it could fit was a double bed. I don't even see this room marketed on their website, thus leading me to believe it's one of those unspoken worst rooms in the house.

Back to the front desk with a copy of our booking. "It says king bed or two twins," I say.

The manager comes out. He gives a long, patronizing speech about how European hotels were built earlier to a lower standard when it comes to square footage and that European bed types are smaller.

"My booking says king," I say.

Finally, he huffs, types types types, and finds us the room next door, which looks similar to the standard deluxe room on the website. No upgrade for a Marriott Gold, but at least we got upgraded back into a standard room.

By the way, we also arrived at 12:30 PM and waited in the lobby until 4:00 PM on the dot to check in.

Will report back on how breakfast and late check-out goes. We honestly thought about picking up and moving to the Hilton (I am Diamond), but we think we will enjoy Venice more by foot than by boat.
Any update on your stay? How did everything go? I just booked for next may as a Marriott Gold and am hoping you can shed some lights on your experience besides check-in.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by jasdou
Any update on your stay? How did everything go? I just booked for next may as a Marriott Gold and am hoping you can shed some lights on your experience besides check-in.
We woke up the next morning to a drip-drip-drip, yellow water emanating from the ceiling. Some sort of sewage leak from the room up above. Back to the front desk we went.

"We will clean it up! We will clean it up!" they insisted. Finally, after much push and pull, they moved us to a new room — a junior suite, totally lovely, a room that would have been a great complimentary upgrade if such a thing had been offered.

Gold breakfast is good. Free, no quibbles about what we could eat or not eat. Location is good. The hotel has interesting grounds that are unusual for Venice.

We won't be returning to this property. My suggestion would be to confirm the room you want in advance rather than expecting any kind of upgrade. And make sure you tell the hotel you won't be accepting a room downgrade to a double bed.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stvr
We woke up the next morning to a drip-drip-drip, yellow water emanating from the ceiling. Some sort of sewage leak from the room up above. Back to the front desk we went.

"We will clean it up! We will clean it up!" they insisted. Finally, after much push and pull, they moved us to a new room — a junior suite, totally lovely, a room that would have been a great complimentary upgrade if such a thing had been offered.

Gold breakfast is good. Free, no quibbles about what we could eat or not eat. Location is good. The hotel has interesting grounds that are unusual for Venice.

We won't be returning to this property. My suggestion would be to confirm the room you want in advance rather than expecting any kind of upgrade. And make sure you tell the hotel you won't be accepting a room downgrade to a double bed.
Too bad about the room experiences. I stayed there a few years ago and I guess we were just lucky.

I loved the neighborhood and, as you mentioned, the hotel grounds. Sounds like they have perhaps slacked on the maintenance though.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:14 am

I am planning a stay at this property next May and will be leaving from Marco Polo airport on a 9:25 flight. How easy is it to get from the Boscolo to VCE early in the monring? Or would we be better off spending our last night at the Courtyard by the airport?

Looking at the vaporetto schedule, it seems like the earliest stop by the vaporetto is at 6:40 at Madonna dell'Orto, meaning we could get to the airport at about 7:20. This should be early enough even with checked luggage, right? Opinions?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The hotel advised me that since the nearby stop is the last one on the line prior to the airport, one must allow for the possibility that any given vaporetto will be full and won't stop. I have no idea how reliable the vaporetto from that stop actually is, since I ended up taking a private water taxi (120 Euros).
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jasdou
it seems like the earliest stop by the vaporetto is at 6:40 at Madonna dell'Orto, meaning we could get to the airport at about 7:20. This should be early enough even with checked luggage, right? Opinions?
VCE is a very easy airport and 125 minutes is more than ample. I too have no comment on the Vaporetto, as we also took a private water taxi. It was well worth the expense IMO. Practically the only time in Venice we weren't surrounded by throngs of tourists
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
we also took a private water taxi. It was well worth the expense IMO. Practically the only time in Venice we weren't surrounded by throngs of tourists
Good point indeed.

That said, the hotel itself is in a neighborhood that was rather refreshingly quieter than the main areas. I am very glad I stayed there instead of closer to tourist central.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:00 pm

I took the vaporreto from a stop near the end and it was very packed and bags were everywhere crowding the walkway. We had to keep our bags by the captain and stand. It was not a comfortable feeling. Also when you get off at the airport it was a bit of a walk maybe 20 min. I was surprised how far it was. The airport itself was not difficult but it was busy and lines everywhere with no one knowing what to do.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by osugrad2x
I took the vaporreto from a stop near the end and it was very packed and bags were everywhere crowding the walkway. We had to keep our bags by the captain and stand. It was not a comfortable feeling. Also when you get off at the airport it was a bit of a walk maybe 20 min. I was surprised how far it was. The airport itself was not difficult but it was busy and lines everywhere with no one knowing what to do.
What time of the day did you take the vaporetto?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:08 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Sorry if I missed it earlier in this thread, but does anyone have an email address for the hotel or the concierge ? We'll be staying over New Year's and are looking for some help with dinner reservations for New Year's Eve.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by skj
Sorry if I missed it earlier in this thread, but does anyone have an email address for the hotel or the concierge ? We'll be staying over New Year's and are looking for some help with dinner reservations for New Year's Eve.
This is the email for the front office manager. [email protected]. I would not hold out much hope that she’ll answer you.
Hope you have better luck than I had.

Last edited by tbrein; Dec 8, 2017 at 7:29 am
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:21 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tbrein
This is the email for the front office manager. [email protected]. I would not hold out much hope that she’ll answer you.
hope. You have better luck than I had.
Thank you ! I'll report back here if I have any success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.