Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gran Hotel dei Dogi, The Dedica Anthology, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gran Hotel dei Dogi, The Dedica Anthology, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by manneca
I also noted that the hotel doesn't provide a free breakfast on weekends for golds (upthread somewhere). Is this also true?

Thanks
See post # 56 (4 above yours)

Cheers.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
From the airport (VCE) to the hotel - take the orange line (LINEA ALILAGUNA ARANCIO) to the first stop (ORTO or "M. DELL'ORTO" on the map/schedule) It leaves the airport every 30 minutes beginning at 8am until 7:30pm, then about every hour after that until 11:45pm)

It costs about 10 euro one way and is a separate ticket from the Vaparetto/ACTV. It is a 30 minute trip, and there should be plenty of room for luggage. I think you can buy your ticket at the (airport ) station, before you board.

Once you get off the boat at the ORTO stop, it is about 100 yards to the hotel (use google maps)

My wife and I are doing the same thing (Celebrity Cruise near end of August) so perhaps we will cross paths!
Thanks very much for the directions. On these long trips, and with lots of luggage in tow, I always find our transfers to be the most challenging part of the trip. We are at Boscolo Venezia now prior to our cruise (embarkation August 31).

I'll add a few more details to update these directions for the geographically challenged. We were pretty beat after our long flight from the USA, so perhaps this will make it easier for someone else.

There is a ticket machine for the Alilaguna line in the area where you pick up your luggage. But never mind that. I found the machine hard to follow, and you have an English-speaking human who can help you not too much further along.

After getting your luggage, head through the doors to exit the baggage claim area. Turn to the left and you will soon see a ticket counter where you can purchase tickets for the Alilaguna Orange line. 2014 prices were 15 Euro per person.

Now exit the terminal, walk towards the street, and take the first sidewalk going left. You will be walking on a covered sidewalk. Just keep going and you will reach the water (I'm guessing it's about 6-8 minute walk, depending on your pace). Go left and find Alilaguna Orange near the end of the boats. It's a slow ride (about 25 minutes) to the first stop, Madonna del'Orto.

Once off the boat, go more or less straight ahead (the path will zig and zag a bit) until you reach the first canal. Look to your right. Not too far ahead you will see the red-colored canopy of Boscolo Venezia.

Now, to enjoy Venice for a few days before our cruise....
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Trip Report - Boscolo Venice

Wife and I stayed 3 nights pre-cruise in August 2014

Took Orange boat line from airport (turn left out of baggage claim, 7 minute walk to pier, buy approx 13 euro ticket at pier, 30 mins to Del Orto/1st stop, 100 meters walk to hotel.)

Hotel is beautiful, in a quiet neighborhood, a 15-20 minutes walk from the main tourist areas. There is a free hotel boat/shuttle that takes you to/from the main square. We were upgraded from standard room to deluxe room.

Room was beautiful and spacious, we were directly over the front canopy with a view of the canal. Staff was great. Excellent free buffet for Gold/Plat, includes 1 hot item. You sit outside in the courtyard/garden area that is lovely.

No lounge, but you are in Italy - go out to eat! Another advantage of the quiet area (not as touristy) is the nice selection of more reasonably priced restaurants, where to locals eat. There are 2 markets within 5-10 mins walk for snacks, fresh fruit, wine, etc.

There is a private hotel pier on the north side of the courtyard, facing the airport, with a table and some chairs - you can go out and relax and enjoy the great view, bring a bottle of wine if you desire.

Met another family who were on the same cruise, so we shared a water taxi to the cruise terminal. If you book it thru hotel, it is about 110 euro, but you can book it online for under 90. So 15 or so euro per person for a group of 6, and easier than public boat.

The other gentleman told me he was there 1 night, and upgraded to a Junior Suite as a Plat. I was envious but figured I did not get that because we were there 3 nights and the hotel seemed full.

We absolutely loved the city and the hotel. Would absolutely recommend it. The only caveat is if you are mobility limited, keep in mind it is a bit outside of the main areas. I look forward to my return.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:23 pm

Any try to book this property on points recently? I'm seeing no availability months in advance, even in the middle of winter.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:10 am
AAL

Originally Posted by emax48
Any try to book this property on points recently? I'm seeing no availability months in advance, even in the middle of winter.
I'm seeing availability every month for the next year. Try searching for one night, and selecting "my dates are flexible" and you should see a calendar of available dates for the next 11 or so months.

For my stay last May, award nights were not immediately available for my last night, but I just kept checking and it eventually opened up, so I had a separate reservation for that night (but didn't have to change rooms).
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
staying here in a few weeks on points. Is it easy to get here from the train station? Also, can anyone suggest restaurants nearby that are good?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by njxbean
staying here in a few weeks on points. Is it easy to get here from the train station? Also, can anyone suggest restaurants nearby that are good?
It is not an easy walk, maybe 40+ minutes. With luggage it would not be fun.

You could take the Vaparetto, which is not difficult, and reasonable.

You could take a water taxi, which would be the easiest, but $$$.

-------------

We ate at Al Faro, (twice) and it was excellent and inexpensive (for Venice). Less than 10 minute walk from hotel. Sit outside in the courtyard. Not a great view, but the food more than makes up for it. Recommend the spaghetti with mussels.

Ristorante Pizzeria Al Faro
Cannaregio, 1181
30121 Campo Ghetto Vecchio

There are several other restaurants within a 5 minute walk of hotel.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Is it easy to get here from the train station?
With luggage: Look at post 51 (by nachosdelux) above and you'll see directions from the hotel to the cruise terminal. Get on the vaporetto at Madonna del Orto. You can haul your luggage onto the vaporetto. The stop for the train station (Ferrovia) is just before the cruise terminal.

I agree that you won't want to walk if you have heavy luggage. There are a number of bridges to go over, and that won't be easy with heavy bags in tow.

I purchased a Venice map and also a map of the Venice water bus system on Amazon. Once I read the directions in this thread and looked at the map a few times, I got the hang of it.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Boscolo Venezia, Venice, Italy

I am PP and we stayed last summer and they treated us like Royalty. Amazing property, a bit removed, but outstanding hotel.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Lots of days not available for check-in in September (booking on points)
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:36 am

great restaraunt a few blocks over - very nice walking area - Osteria L'Orto dei Mori

Have the concierge make reservations. Not expensive great food.

BTW - This hotel is the only property on Venice that has a grass courtyard; behind the hotel. It leads to the back part of the island; the landscaping and trails are absolutely incredible.
We walked from St.Marks to the hotel through all the narrow streets/neighborhoods. Took our time, highly recommened to do that.
Truly enjoyable hotel - 8 of us stayed there. Let me know if you need more details.

Kevin
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Wolfgang5150
great restaraunt a few blocks over - very nice walking area - Osteria L'Orto dei Mori

Have the concierge make reservations. Not expensive great food.

BTW - This hotel is the only property on Venice that has a grass courtyard; behind the hotel. It leads to the back part of the island; the landscaping and trails are absolutely incredible.
We walked from St.Marks to the hotel through all the narrow streets/neighborhoods. Took our time, highly recommened to do that.
Truly enjoyable hotel - 8 of us stayed there. Let me know if you need more details.

Kevin
That place looks great thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
staying there after 2 weeks , 6 of us better to take a private water taxi or the vaporetto?

thanx
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by diamantaire
staying there after 2 weeks , 6 of us better to take a private water taxi or the vaporetto?

thanx
Was there last weekend. Great hotel. Where will you be coming from? With 6 of you the private water taxi might be worth it.

However, its pretty easy to take the water bus. you can get a 24 hour ticket for 20 euro if i recall and take that to pretty close to the hotel. It will be about a 5 min walk from there (3 bridges). If the luggage is huge and you foresee a problem carrying it, then you may just want to grab the private taxi. They are pricey though.

The other option is they have porters(we found some by the train station) and they carried the luggage and we walked it from there. Wasnt a bad walk. About 20 mins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.