Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Doha, Qatar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Doha, Qatar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
So my wife and I are visiting Doha for 4 nights next yr in June. I wanted to use 2 of my 35K free certificates and wanted a beach.

So I have narrowed it down to 3 choices.

-Sharq Village & Spa
-St.Regis
-Sheraton.
-Ritz Carlton

Any recent reviews of these hotels?
In particular at the St. Regis, Ritz, and Sharq, would be The benefits if any would I receive as a platinum premier elite member?

Thanks in advance for the tips!!

Last edited by alrvd83; Aug 25, 2018 at 6:59 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Just checked into the Marriott Doha on a literally last-minute one-nighter to Doha. Having stayed at the Westin nine times, the W five times and the St. Regis/Sheraton once apiece as a legacy SPG-er inducted into the House of Marriott (now there's a name for the joint program) the classic Marriott had to do in this pinch I was in. Some feedback:
  • Tired old thing, this property, especially when compared to the formerly SPG options. Lots of chintzy furniture and the hotel is somewhat isolated on Ras Abu Abboud Road on the way into the city.
  • Check-in was quick, and despite having combined accounts way back in August, I had no issues having my Platinum Premier status recognized. I was told I was upgraded from a Deluxe to Executive Room with access to the club lounge, but that they only had a king-sized smoking room or a twin-bed non-smoking room. I have a king bed and non-smoking room down as preferences in my profile, so when I asked the front desk agent about a king-bed room he sort of froze and insisted on the fact that I was upgraded to the Executive Tower and had a balcony. I'm sensitive to cigarette smoke and can't stand smoking rooms, so I asked if a suite was available. He went into does-not-compute mode and once again pushed that I was upgraded to an Executive Room in the Executive Tower. I mentally said screw it, any non-smoking king-bed room will do so I settled for a room in the standard Tower Building.
  • The room itself is very spacious - easily above 40 square meters - but goodness does it whisper 'renovate me.' Thin pillows, lots of wasted space, old furniture, some mildew in the four-fixture bathroom [sink, tub, toilet, bidet]. Time to go under the hammer!
  • Grounds look expansive and nice - it's past midnight now, but the pool looks huge and there's definitely a beach out there.
  • Plats get a choice of welcome amenity from a 375-mL bottle of red/white wine, snacks or the traditional points benefit. Welcome amenity cards are the old Marriott stock that say 500 points, but I was told they're just burning through old cards and that the benefit is actually 1000 points in line with the launch of the new program.
  • Breakfast is offered at the main restaurant for Plats regardless of amenity choice.
Will report more tomorrow.

khabah
LapLap likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by khabah
Just checked into the Marriott Doha on a literally last-minute one-nighter to Doha. Having stayed at the Westin nine times, the W five times and the St. Regis/Sheraton once apiece as a legacy SPG-er inducted into the House of Marriott (now there's a name for the joint program) the classic Marriott had to do in this pinch I was in. Some feedback:
  • Tired old thing, this property, especially when compared to the formerly SPG options. Lots of chintzy furniture and the hotel is somewhat isolated on Ras Abu Abboud Road on the way into the city.
  • Check-in was quick, and despite having combined accounts way back in August, I had no issues having my Platinum Premier status recognized. I was told I was upgraded from a Deluxe to Executive Room with access to the club lounge, but that they only had a king-sized smoking room or a twin-bed non-smoking room. I have a king bed and non-smoking room down as preferences in my profile, so when I asked the front desk agent about a king-bed room he sort of froze and insisted on the fact that I was upgraded to the Executive Tower and had a balcony. I'm sensitive to cigarette smoke and can't stand smoking rooms, so I asked if a suite was available. He went into does-not-compute mode and once again pushed that I was upgraded to an Executive Room in the Executive Tower. I mentally said screw it, any non-smoking king-bed room will do so I settled for a room in the standard Tower Building.
  • The room itself is very spacious - easily above 40 square meters - but goodness does it whisper 'renovate me.' Thin pillows, lots of wasted space, old furniture, some mildew in the four-fixture bathroom [sink, tub, toilet, bidet]. Time to go under the hammer!
  • Grounds look expansive and nice - it's past midnight now, but the pool looks huge and there's definitely a beach out there.
  • Plats get a choice of welcome amenity from a 375-mL bottle of red/white wine, snacks or the traditional points benefit. Welcome amenity cards are the old Marriott stock that say 500 points, but I was told they're just burning through old cards and that the benefit is actually 1000 points in line with the launch of the new program.
  • Breakfast is offered at the main restaurant for Plats regardless of amenity choice.
Will report more tomorrow.

khabah
Just a note this hotel will be going under a massive redevelopment and will be completely re-done, the tenders are currently out and most staff will be moved to the upcoming city/resort property next to the US embassy.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
Just a note this hotel will be going under a massive redevelopment and will be completely re-done, the tenders are currently out and most staff will be moved to the upcoming city/resort property next to the US embassy.
That’s good to know - the place certainly needs the help. Is the redevelopment part of the Ras Abu Abboud Stadium Precinct that’s taking shape next door? Would love to see some plans for what the Marriott has in store.

Also - what upcoming resort next to the Embassy? Also Marriott-branded?

khabah
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by khabah

That’s good to know - the place certainly needs the help. Is the redevelopment part of the Ras Abu Abboud Stadium Precinct that’s taking shape next door? Would love to see some plans for what the Marriott has in store.

Also - what upcoming resort next to the Embassy? Also Marriott-branded?

khabah
Regarding the renovation of the Doha Marriott - COMPLETE MAJOR RENOVATION AND MASTERPLAN FOR DOHA MARRIOTT GULF HOTEL | Katara Hospitality

Regarding the new hotel - We are Developers | Katara Hospitality - it is called Al Messila, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Doha – expected opening 2018, I play football occasionally at the school opposite and looks like its more or less done from the outside however got to say its a random location for a resort!!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:41 am

Oh and no the redevelopment next door is ANOTHER hotel (do not think it will be another Marriott as you already have Sharq and Marriott on the same stretch) and the stadium being built!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
@khabah, thanks for the review. I intended to try the Marriott for a quick overnight next month on a points redemption because it's close to the airport, but based on your comments I will stick to the DoubleTree which is my usual place for an overnight closer to the airport.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:40 am

Regarding the renovation of the Doha Marriott - COMPLETE MAJOR RENOVATION AND MASTERPLAN FOR DOHA MARRIOTT GULF HOTEL Katara Hospitality

Regarding the new hotel - We are Developers Katara Hospitality - it is called Al Messila, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Doha – expected opening 2018, I play football occasionally at the school opposite and looks like its more or less done from the outside however got to say its a random location for a resort!!
Oh and no the redevelopment next door is ANOTHER hotel (do not think it will be another Marriott as you already have Sharq and Marriott on the same stretch) and the stadium being built!
I actually found that same link moments after I read your comment - exciting about the renovation. And interesting about the Al Messila property coming under the LC fold... so Qatar should be home to two LC properties once the hotel at Place Vendôme opens. [Speaking of - what's the deal with those hotels? They looked nearly done but posted opening dates in April 2020 on the SPG directory.]

Originally Posted by escape4
@khabah, thanks for the review. I intended to try the Marriott for a quick overnight next month on a points redemption because it's close to the airport, but based on your comments I will stick to the DoubleTree which is my usual place for an overnight closer to the airport.
The Marriott could work for an overnighter, especially if you have status and are collecting points/nights... but the other Marriott-family options are just so much better. PS: I used the lounge the next afternoon and it was completely unmanned, the furniture was tired, the layout odd and the food during the day consisted of two kinds of sandwiches [cream cheese or chicken] and a small plate of Arabic sweets. No one ever entered the lounge in the hour+ I was there.

I spoke to the reception agents on checkout about the renovation and they confirmed that the designs were finalized; they plan to kick work off in Q1 2019 by closing one tower and keeping the other open. They couldn't share too much info but said the new look was very modern and that there will be two outdoor pools as part of the plans. Good news - let's get 'er going!

khabah
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Looking forward to my stay at the Doha Marriott next month for 2 nights. Does the 777 shuttle/bus still run from the DOH airport to the Doha Marriott. I am looking for the cheapest way to get from the DOH airport to the Doha Marriott, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:02 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread with all the changes so, anyone been to the Sheraton Grand Doha lately and could recommend it?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:04 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Lizie
Not sure if this is the right thread with all the changes so, anyone been to the Sheraton Grand Doha lately and could recommend it?
Yes I recommend it. It's not as new and modern as Marriott Marquis or Westin, but it's still in good shape and gives a feel of "old luxury". The lounge is very nice as well. They are not skipping on suite upgrades for Platinums when available. Finally, I love the location when I am in the mood to go out for a walk on the Corniche.
Lizie likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:43 pm

Thanks escape4, old luxury is just what I'm looking for.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:05 pm

Actually went to the Doha Marriott and was excellent for what we wanted i.e somewhere to stop work and eat someone else's cooking for a while.

We're Platinum elite and had breakfast from the breakfast buffet which was excellent in the main restaurant (no breakfast offering in the lounge), lunch each day comprised of finger sandwiches and evening meal was excellent - three hot dishes, soup plus five or six different salads plus fresh fruit. Spirits and wine were served 8-6, first 4 drinks free then paid for. The view over Doha city is fantastic from the lounge, staff are incredibly courteous and eager to help. Hotel car transport to/from the airport (no airport shuttle) was 90 riyal for a honda and 140 for an audi. Each day a shuttle bus (free) goes to the Souq Waqif (18.30) and to the Doha Mall, returning in 3 hours. There is a lot of building work being done just off the side of the property but you'd never know it.

Yes it is tired and a little dated but the locals hospitality shines through and makes up for it.
LapLap and gora14 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
Looking forward to my stay at the Doha Marriott next month for 2 nights. Does the 777 shuttle/bus still run from the DOH airport to the Doha Marriott. I am looking for the cheapest way to get from the DOH airport to the Doha Marriott, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
über is ridiculously cheap and much more convenient than waiting for the 777, so I would recommend that.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:26 am

At the Marriott Marquis now for my first stay. Some feedback:
  • Hotel is running 100 percent occupancy, but I was informed that I was upgraded. Cold towel and water presented at check-in. Service friendly.
  • There are two towers [North and South], each with an executive lounge [North has one on the 42nd floor, South on the 8th]. The hotel used to be a Renaissance in the North Tower, and a Courtyard and Marriott Executive Apartments in the South Tower, but the owners decided to open all of them up onto one another as a Marriott Marquis. Et voilà.
  • Plats get the option of points or welcome gift of F&B [wine, sparkling water, cheese plate, etc.]. Also get the choice of breakfast in the lounge or the main restaurant.
  • I was assigned a corner room on the 30th floor; bit of an awkward layout in a U-shape with thick pillars. You enter the room on one side of the U, the room is at the base of it, then turn another corner to the bathroom and closet.
  • The North Tower's executive lounge is, for lack of a better word, a total zoo. It's small and absolutely mobbed. Made it in time for happy hour [5:30 to 7:30 PM] and got the last table for two, crammed in a corner. Lots of people feeding in and looking for space but told to go to the lounge in the other tower with a similar set up. In all my travels in the Middle East, this is the first lounge I come across that looks and feels like something in a big North American city.
Will report back later on pool and other facilities as the stay unfolds.

khabah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.