FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Doha, Qatar
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:37 pm
khabah

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Just checked into the Marriott Doha on a literally last-minute one-nighter to Doha. Having stayed at the Westin nine times, the W five times and the St. Regis/Sheraton once apiece as a legacy SPG-er inducted into the House of Marriott (now there's a name for the joint program) the classic Marriott had to do in this pinch I was in. Some feedback:
  • Tired old thing, this property, especially when compared to the formerly SPG options. Lots of chintzy furniture and the hotel is somewhat isolated on Ras Abu Abboud Road on the way into the city.
  • Check-in was quick, and despite having combined accounts way back in August, I had no issues having my Platinum Premier status recognized. I was told I was upgraded from a Deluxe to Executive Room with access to the club lounge, but that they only had a king-sized smoking room or a twin-bed non-smoking room. I have a king bed and non-smoking room down as preferences in my profile, so when I asked the front desk agent about a king-bed room he sort of froze and insisted on the fact that I was upgraded to the Executive Tower and had a balcony. I'm sensitive to cigarette smoke and can't stand smoking rooms, so I asked if a suite was available. He went into does-not-compute mode and once again pushed that I was upgraded to an Executive Room in the Executive Tower. I mentally said screw it, any non-smoking king-bed room will do so I settled for a room in the standard Tower Building.
  • The room itself is very spacious - easily above 40 square meters - but goodness does it whisper 'renovate me.' Thin pillows, lots of wasted space, old furniture, some mildew in the four-fixture bathroom [sink, tub, toilet, bidet]. Time to go under the hammer!
  • Grounds look expansive and nice - it's past midnight now, but the pool looks huge and there's definitely a beach out there.
  • Plats get a choice of welcome amenity from a 375-mL bottle of red/white wine, snacks or the traditional points benefit. Welcome amenity cards are the old Marriott stock that say 500 points, but I was told they're just burning through old cards and that the benefit is actually 1000 points in line with the launch of the new program.
  • Breakfast is offered at the main restaurant for Plats regardless of amenity choice.
Will report more tomorrow.

khabah