Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:53 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Good News

Glad to hear everyone is accounted for at the JW Marriott in Phuket. I wonder the status of MVC there as it is not specifically mentioned. Hopefully things are OK there too. See Marriott PR below:

"Washington , DC - 26 December 2004 -

The JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa has reported that all guests and associates have been accounted for following a tidal wave that hit Phuket, Thailand earlier today resulting from an earthquake off the island of Sumatra in the Indian Ocean. Damage at the resort was confined to the beach, gardens and pool area. Two beachfront restaurants and a number of ground level beachfront suites also sustained minor and are expected to reopen in about 10 days. Following clean-up, the pool will reopen tomorrow. Other restaurants and facilities at the resort are open and operating."
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:18 pm

Programs: United 1K
Good news among the tragedy.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
FYI... No other Marriott International hotels in the region were affected.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Here is an email from a friend of mine who happens to be the GM at the JW in Bangkok:

Thanks a lot for your note - and for asking, how we are doing. I am ok, so is my family, we went
to Hua Hin last week and not to Phuket (were in Phuket last year)

Well, we are fine here in Bangkok - the JW Marriott in Phuket is quite ok too - considering the
circumstances. The property there does a fantastic job in coping with the disaster, going out of
it's way in helping everyone in typical Marriott spirit. No casualties were reported at our hotel
in Phuket - which is quite a miracle, considering the overall scale of the disaster. The pool is
out of order, 10 guest rooms and one Restaurant.

Having said this, nothing seems the same around here anymore, we are getting a lot of travellers
here in Bangkok now on the way back to home. These are the lucky ones, who survived, but still,
the mood is subdued and not good. All New Year's Eve festivities have been cancelled and flags
are flying on half mast for 3 days, as the King's Grandson (son of his eldest daughter) also got
killed in the disaster.

There are so many heart breaking stories of children, missing their parents - it makes you wanna
cry.

The year was fine until last Sunday - we all thought, that we made it and nothing can affect the
good outcome anymore - after last year was marred by the SARS outbreak in our Region. Well,
nature has proven yet again, that it is stronger. It also confirms again, that Leap Years tend to
attract disasters.

So we crashed back to earth yet again - but keeping our spirits high. Just not being directly affected,
be healthy and having a job is already a gift. We expect about 20'000 people in the hotel industry
around Phuket to loose jobs and cancellations from tourists start to pour in.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:46 am

Here is another update on the Marriott. Posted 12/28/04
JW Marriott Phuket: Swimming Pools, Pool Bars and the Beach Front Seafood restaurant will be temporarily closed and are expected to reopen by 31 December. The resort is operating under full power and is equipped with fresh water. F&B facilities are open and available to all guests. The JW Marriott Phuket were extremely helpful giving assistance to tourists in transit to the airport and to Help centers. Thank you!

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/1...mi+travel+news

This quote shows a lot of what I like about Marriott:
The JW Marriott Phuket were extremely helpful giving assistance to tourists in transit to the airport and to Help centers. ^
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Linda's Restaurant

It would be really great to know if Linda, if that's her name, of Linda's restaurant is ok. I would love to personally help her family.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:40 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Allaboutmiles
It would be really great to know if Linda, if that's her name, of Linda's restaurant is ok. I would love to personally help her family.
I would be willing to bet that the restaurant is ok as per the story below, the beach suffered minimal damage: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6790977/
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:58 am

Thumbs up JW Marriott Phuket, Thailand

Just returned from 2 weeks at JW Marriott Phuket -- our stay was wonderful!

There is one restaurant (Tala Rim Salay) that is still closed while repairs are being made, but all pools, spa, tennis courts, fitness center, and other facilities at the Marriott are in fine shape and ready for business. The Marriott security guards and the hotel pool staff along the beach were reportedly very effective in moving people to safety at the time the tsunami hit MaiKao Beach. A combination of the beach topology, the staff's efficiency, and some early warning limited the damage at the Marriott.

Linda Seafood was closed for several weeks while repairs were made to their facility, but all are safe, and they are now furnished new kitchen, chairs, tables, menus -- they only suffer now from lack of customers!

We were much impressed with Marriott's involvement in the community after the tsunami. The JW Marriott opened its doors to victims from other areas immediately after the waves hit; Marriott staff have been actively volunteering as translators and providing other assistance; Marriott is housing disaster victim identification teams from many different countries; and the Marriott Relief Fund cars are unobtrusively, but effectively right-on-site in Khao Lak, which was severely damaged. The Thai Red Cross has also been both prepared and present -- deserving our continued support.

It was very strange being among the few tourists in Phuket in January. The tsunami is a subject of all conversations, and many people have lost family, friends, businesses, jobs. The emotional impact of this disaster remains strong, even though we were not there at the time the waves hit.

At this point, shops, bars, restaurants in Patong are reopening, but most were empty of customers. Phuket Town was not directly damaged. Tuktuks and taxis stand idle. Tours are now running, but on limited schedules because of the lack of business.

Hotel room cancellations have been high across Phuket, leaving hotels empty and supporting businesses idle. Rooms are readily available at the Marriott, even though this is high season for Phuket tourism.

The locals are giving one consistent answer to our question "What more can we do?" -- "Bring tourists back to Phuket! We need the business!"

Old Feb 8, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have an upcoming trip to Singapore, and was thinking about extending it by 3 days or so to get in some quality beach time. The only thing I'm having trouble with is my good old fashioned catholic guilt. Can I really go to the resort and enjoy myself, knowing what lays outside the resort area? Your thoughts?
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt Prem, CO Plt, AA Gold
Definately go

The Thai government and businesses are working very hard to lure tourists back. The best thing you could do for the residents and business owners now is give them your business. BTW, I've noticed that the JW Phuket is now a category 5 property. I guess we talked it up too much here on other threads.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
We are leaving in 2 weeks for the Marriott in Phuket. We will be spending a week at their timeshare property. Do you have any idea of how long the Tala Rim Salay will remain closed? It sounded like a great place. We were also interested in seeing the Fantasea show but I have heard that it is temporarily closed due to the drop in tourism.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Seafood Restaurant

Here is the response that I received from the hotel about the seafood restaurant:

Thank you for choosing us for your lovely stay as per your inquiry about
seafood restaurant we will re-open on March'2005 if any further inquiry please let me know.
Look forward to see you soon.
Best regards,
Pisamai
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:20 pm

Programs: AC SE
Nice to hear

We spent a fantastic week at the JW a few years ago and had some great meals at Linda Restaurant so were wondering how they made out. Nice to hear that all the wonderful people at the JW are oaky as well. What about the beach restaurants up the road to the north?
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt Prem, CO Plt, AA Gold
The "Odd Couple" in Phuket

Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush toured the tsunami damaged areas yesterday and stayed overnight in Phuket. Where did they stay you might ask? Yes, our very own JW Marriott. President Bush stayed at the BKK Marriott Riverside resort 2 years ago for APEC. I guess Presidents DO have good taste in hotels. I hope Bill was able to stay away from the beer bars with the pink neon lights in Patong!
Old Feb 20, 2005, 5:34 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dloren1
Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush toured the tsunami damaged areas yesterday and stayed overnight in Phuket. Where did they stay you might ask? Yes, our very own JW Marriott. President Bush stayed at the BKK Marriott Riverside resort 2 years ago for APEC. I guess Presidents DO have good taste in hotels. I hope Bill was able to stay away from the beer bars with the pink neon lights in Patong!
One is called President and the other Bill....You must be a Republican...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.