Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
+1 (having stayed at all 3 properties)

My personal preferences would be the Ren Phuket as they offer private pool villas (downside is lack of rest choices but you can use the hotel tuk-tuk to/from the JW Phuket all the time).
Next choice is JWKL but you really need wheels to get there/around-and-about.........location great for side trip to Similan Island............ off site rest called Jai has best Thai food..........
Last on my list, JW Phuket, but if you like being in Russia, purrfect place to stay

Question to OP - if you're using points, why are you ONLY staying 4-nights as 5th night same # of points as 4??

Originally Posted by kt74
My tuppence-worth, having stayed in two, and visited a third, a couple of months ago:

JW KL is slightly cheaper/older/rougher around the edges, but I found the service more friendly/natural and it has an amazing pool. There is more local beach life - while it is remote, there are enough reasonably priced beach-front restaurants, bars and massage places if you get bored of the resort and don't have (or want to use) wheels

JW P is a mega-resort, the most child-friendly, the most restaurants and activities, plus a resort-style shopping centre just outside - families love it; if you think children should be seen and not heard (or, indeed, not even seen...), then avoid

Ren P is the newest, a bit more City glamorous, a bit more boutique, style over substance. The staff try hard, and nothing is too much trouble. Smallest pool (by far), more adult, less to do, and a bit more remote - there are 2 restaurants in the resort and one massage hut on the beach, and that's about it. Nice gym though!

So, it depends what you like - others, I'm sure, will disagree with my assessment. I guess KL is more "real" Thailand, if that's what you want, but a good 90 minute drive from Phuket. The JW P and Ren are in Mai Khao, which is a semi-gated community near the airport - a poor man's Nusa Dua - I didn't think the beach was as nice as KL (or Nusa Dua, for that matter). I quite enjoyed doing a few days at JW KL then moving to the Ren. Oh, and the beach massages and beers are cheaper in KL
Old May 28, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Thanks kt and BKK.

As to the 5th night I would love to but we are on vacation and have to head back to Hong Kong to get back to the US. Will look into possibly making that happen though.

If kids are prevalent at the JW Phuket then that is probably out. Just me and the wife and not looking for a kid scene.

We definitely liked the Ren the best from the reviews and pictures we have seen online.

Since it is the last 4 nights of a 15 day vacation and will have all the luggage with us we prefer to just pick a spot and stay there.

Had an acquaintance who stayed at the JW KL and he said he hired a guide who planned things for them and took them there and back. If this is the case are they easy to find once there?
Old May 28, 2012, 8:05 pm
Suspended

ruling out JW Phuket is good idea (kids and non-stop smoking Russian/Ukranians)

can't help with tour guides as my wife is Thai and we live here so don't use them, however I can put you in touch with the FOM's at both hotels who could be of service (no Consierge Desk)

Originally Posted by apodo77
If kids are prevalent at the JW Phuket then that is probably out. Just me and the wife and not looking for a kid scene.

Had an acquaintance who stayed at the JW KL and he said he hired a guide who planned things for them and took them there and back. If this is the case are they easy to find once there?
Old May 28, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
ruling out JW Phuket is good idea (kids and non-stop smoking Russian/Ukranians)

can't help with tour guides as my wife is Thai and we live here so don't use them, however I can put you in touch with the FOM's at both hotels who could be of service (no Consierge Desk)
I have heard about Russians coming to Phuket in droves. Guess it may be true.

I would love to get the FOM information if you are willing to PM it to me.

Thanks
Old May 29, 2012, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have heard about Russians coming to Phuket in droves. Guess it may be true.
Yes it is confirmed.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:03 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Is it worth getting the hotel to organise car from the airport to the JW Phuket? Or is it better/cheaper to take a cab? We'll be arriving quite late (22:45).
Old May 29, 2012, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Is it worth getting the hotel to organise car from the airport to the JW Phuket? Or is it better/cheaper to take a cab? We'll be arriving quite late (22:45).
This comes from a friend who has lived in Phuket for a time.

Arrange the car through the hotel. If you do get a cab make sure it is a car and not a tuk tuk (he told me this as a general rule for after dark).

A limo can be arranged through the JW for $1400 THB ($44 US dollars).
Old May 29, 2012, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Rent a car...
Old May 29, 2012, 9:37 pm
Suspended

at THB600-700/day from Avis/Hertz, and with almost a 5-mile drive from the airport to the hotel, worth getting wheels

...........A limo can be arranged through the JW for $1400 THB ($44 US dollars).
Old May 30, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
I always get a cab for around 300 baht, just break through the first wave of cabbies.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:18 am
Suspended

are you referring to the meter taxis that will not use their meters? if so, then good luck getting THB300 as their fare basis is based not on how far they're driving but on which hotel, and thus how much $$$$$$$$ you have (and I speak the lingo, as does my Thai wife)

Originally Posted by slowly
I always get a cab for around 300 baht, just break through the first wave of cabbies.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:41 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This comes from a friend who has lived in Phuket for a time.

Arrange the car through the hotel. If you do get a cab make sure it is a car and not a tuk tuk (he told me this as a general rule for after dark).

A limo can be arranged through the JW for $1400 THB ($44 US dollars).
Thanks, I think I'll go for the car service... I might consider renting once I've settled in
Old May 30, 2012, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Thanks, I think I'll go for the car service... I might consider renting once I've settled in
Wow. 1400 baht for a six minute drive?

Good for u. But that's a nice dinner, especially using the 50 percent off card, it becoming 2800 baht
Old May 31, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Originally Posted by slowly
+1

If the cabby isn't using his meter when you get in, just make sure you know the Thai word for no (Mai ow) and say meter. Always worked for me. Just pass the first wave of cabbies.

It's not like an American Airport - there's no confusion. Walk to the cabby stand, give them the hotel address, and make sure the meter is on. It's all part of the experience $.02
Old May 31, 2012, 2:26 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Returning from a 4 day stay up in Khao Lak, it is a significant distance back to Phuket for trips to the airport or tours.

If that is important to you, then I'd stay closer in town. The extra distance easily adds on another 2 hours if you are planning a day trip to Phi Phi Lei.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.