FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1214916-annual-fee-retention-bonus-starwood-amex-card-pre-may-2019-a.html)

flyerfrog Jul 7, 2011 1:23 pm

Sent A secure email about retention bonus. Was offered 3000 points.
I'll see if I can get more.

rofly Jul 8, 2011 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 16687901)
I'm curious why anyone would turn down 1000 or 2000 no-strings points (absent annual fee being due before the points would post). Why not take the Starpoints and run?

I despise canceling credit cards. After rebuking their many offers and challenges, I was happy to "be allowed to" cancel. I didn't want the 2k points now and have to deal with it again in another month, when the fee was due. A day-long headache may or may not be worth 2k points.

jonman21 Jul 8, 2011 3:24 pm

Sent a secure message (didn't want to bother calling because my intention wasn't to cancel the card - I love my SPG Amex; it's my primary spending card) - just said my annual fee was coming up and I was disappointed about the increase from $45 to $65.

Got a $20 credit. Not as great as some of your guys' offers, but still the easiest $20 I've ever made. :) Thanks for the tips! ^

beltway Jul 8, 2011 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by rofly (Post 16694713)
I despise canceling credit cards. After rebuking their many offers and challenges, I was happy to "be allowed to" cancel. I didn't want the 2k points now and have to deal with it again in another month, when the fee was due. A day-long headache may or may not be worth 2k points.

"Day-long" is rather an overstatement, I think.

willywuua Jul 8, 2011 3:46 pm

Sent a message online and complained...

"As a one time courtesy, I have issued 3,000 goodwill points to your account."

Very satisfied and I'll continue to use my AMEX SPG! :D

chriseng Jul 21, 2011 9:21 am

2k or $20. Took the 2k, though disappointed it wasn't in the 3-5k range like some of you have gotten. Still, something for nothing.

Maybe I should use email next time.

Counsellor Jul 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by chriseng (Post 16769892)
2k or $20. Took the 2k, though disappointed it wasn't in the 3-5k range like some of you have gotten.

I think it has to do with your charging history against the card. Seems better customers get better retention offers (no surprise, really).

I have a long history with the card (had it since its inception) but only one time charged over $30K in a year. Usual average was around $24K, but this year less than that since I had shifted charges to another card to get a signing bonus, so has put on only about $10K.

Was offered 1K Starpoints. I suspect the 3K reflects $30K or more charging per year, while the 5K is probably around $60K or more per year.

However, I could be wrong. Anyone else want to tell us how much (s)he was offered and how much was charged on the card the previous year? Enough data points and we should be able to discern a pattern, if not break the code completely.

troyintn Jul 24, 2011 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor (Post 16785411)
I think it has to do with your charging history against the card. Seems better customers get better retention offers (no surprise, really).

I have a long history with the card (had it since its inception) but only one time charged over $30K in a year. Usual average was around $24K, but this year less than that since I had shifted charges to another card to get a signing bonus, so has put on only about $10K.

Was offered 1K Starpoints. I suspect the 3K reflects $30K or more charging per year, while the 5K is probably around $60K or more per year.

However, I could be wrong. Anyone else want to tell us how much (s)he was offered and how much was charged on the card the previous year? Enough data points and we should be able to discern a pattern, if not break the code completely.

I had a run around with them. To put it mildly. Called to get it waived, One agent said they could not do it another agent said they could. I told them to cancel my card when the cycle ended. One agent then called and offered 10k points the first agent called and offered to waive my fees. At the end of the day I got both. I have averaged about 100-120k a year on it for about 10 years now for work.

Happy Jul 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Requested assistance on the annual fee via SM. I much prefer using the SM than the phone - in dealing with all our cards. I have found SM far more effective and often produced better results. Frankly if you are not fishing for a retention offer, cancellation via SM is the most painless way.

But we do want to keep our cards, just want to pay a lowered fee.

Husband's card got $50 statement credit promptly posted. (about 2 to 3K charge a month).

My card got 2K SPG pts despite same wordings in the SM. (about 3 to 6K charge a month).

Replied to ask for $50 statement credit to match husband's offer and offered up to return the 2K SPG pts, or they could up the 2K to 5K.
Was told the goodwill pts could not be reverted but would issue $50 statement credit. Got both at the end.

milesmuncher Jul 24, 2011 5:17 pm

I got 5K, spent ~$80K last calendar year, not sure what I'd spent in the last 12mos, but probably slightly less than that.

Kalboz Jul 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Yankeeflyer (Post 16398051)
"Excuse me, let me double check first with my dog."

"Excuse me, I'll have to call back to finish this conversation because my kid is watching Glen Beck"

:D:D:D

barelyelite Jul 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Was charged the annual fee last month. Sent a secure message asking for a fee waiver or Starpoints and was promptly offered 3,000 points as a token of goodwill. I accepted the offer :)

For the record, I've only had the card for a year and spent about $20-25k on it--probably about 50% at Starwood hotels. I've had the Costco card for several years now and got the Platinum card late last year. Relatively little spending on the other cards.

Uh Clem Jul 26, 2011 5:02 pm

I have a Starwood Business and Personal card. Have $15k limit on the business and $25k limit on the personal. I just called the Starwood Business CC line and asked them if I cancelled my personal card would they up my limit to $40k on my business card. Don't think the lady understood what I was trying to do as she offered me a $100 retention bonus to not cancel my business card. Since I wasn't planning on cancelling my business card it was an easy decision. Never did find out if they would raise my credit limit on my business card.

mshah Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm

got 5k points. Did any one actually have points posted to the account? I was told a week and it's more then a week already.

milesmuncher Jul 27, 2011 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by mshah (Post 16808719)
got 5k points. Did any one actually have points posted to the account? I was told a week and it's more then a week already.

Mine posted when my next statement closed (was about 2 weeks I think)