FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1214916-annual-fee-retention-bonus-starwood-amex-card-pre-may-2019-a.html)

mshah Jul 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by milesmuncher (Post 16808768)
Mine posted when my next statement closed (was about 2 weeks I think)

Ahh, I see. Thank you. I'll wait till my statement close (in another 2 weeks :) )

flyertm Jul 27, 2011 2:03 pm

The mods need to close this thread and merge into the main one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ex-card-2.html

flyertm Jul 27, 2011 2:07 pm

If you cancel before the points are posted to Starwood, you lose all the points correct? Any way around this?

I have $3000 in spend on current statement and the $65 fee was also billed. I contacted to cancel and they offer me a $0 and 0 points retention offer, despite my over $20,000 in annual spend. It seems to be an easy decision to cancel if they dont want to retain me.

mlad1101 Jul 27, 2011 2:26 pm

TBH, 30k etc. likely isn't high spend on this card. This card is more rewarding in terms of points than Amex Plat/Cent so most educated(about rewards) big spenders use this card primarily over those and just keep those for the benefits.

Lauriebugg Jul 27, 2011 5:44 pm

I canceled my spg american express today. The rep looked to see if there was anything they could do - lower $65 annual fee, etc... There was nothing. So my account is closed.

Lauriebugg Jul 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyertm (Post 16808992)
If you cancel before the points are posted to Starwood, you lose all the points correct? Any way around this?

I have $3000 in spend on current statement and the $65 fee was also billed. I contacted to cancel and they offer me a $0 and 0 points retention offer, despite my over $20,000 in annual spend. It seems to be an easy decision to cancel if they dont want to retain me.

I called to cancel today also. No offers available. Account closed.

l etoile Jul 27, 2011 6:46 pm

I've merged this into the larger thread.

l'etoile
Starwood moderator

Happy Jul 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyertm (Post 16808992)

If you are planning to close your card before annual fee billed, you should stop using the card after previous statement closed to avoid situation like that.

Wait till the statement closes and the pts posted. Pay all charges except the annual fee then call to cancel. AMEX would credit back the fee if you cancel within 60 days of the fee is billed.

Happy Jul 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by mshah (Post 16808719)
got 5k points. Did any one actually have points posted to the account? I was told a week and it's more then a week already.

Mine posted the next day. Both the 2K pts and later $50 statement credit. :p

PtsFreak Jul 27, 2011 10:22 pm

My anniversary date for my card is July 30th. I spent maybe $20k this past year on the card. I just called Amex and asked for points since they raised the annual fee. Without hesitation the rep on the phone awarded me 3,000 points.

I'm happy with that. :-:

btw, I've only had this card for one year, so I don't think spending history factors in. I would say it's luck of the draw or how nice you are on the phone or in your email.

Lauriebugg Jul 28, 2011 9:21 am

Originally Posted by PtsFreak (Post 16811974)
I would say it's luck of the draw or how nice you are on the phone or in your email.

I'd say luck of the draw which really isn't good business practice.

When I called I didn't even ask for anything just said I needed to close the card because of the annual fee. The rep told me everything great about the card and then said "well let me see if there are any things in the computer to help you stay." Or said something similar to that. Put me on hold, and came back saying there was nothing they could do. I've been a card holder I think since 2000 - he even told me how long I'd been a card holder. LOL I was nice as nice can be. Oh well - I like my "fee free" Hilton Am Ex too. :D

amrom Jul 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by PtsFreak (Post 16811974)
My anniversary date for my card is July 30th. I spent maybe $20k this past year on the card. I just called Amex and asked for points since they raised the annual fee. Without hesitation the rep on the phone awarded me 3,000 points.

I'm happy with that. :-:

btw, I've only had this card for one year, so I don't think spending history factors in. I would say it's luck of the draw or how nice you are on the phone or in your email.

You called before the fee posted or it has already posted?

rionio77 Jul 29, 2011 12:08 pm

AMEX is getting STINGY

Seems like AMEX is starting to get really stingy with awarding starpoints for continuing to hold the card. I literally had to speak with a manager's manager (and argue with him) in order to only get 1500 starpoints to continuing holding the card. I asked for more points and he even told me that "this is not a negotiation process." By no means have I been a big spender, but it looks like AMEX is definitely ready to let people cancel without providing incentives to stay onboard

Astrophsx Jul 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by rionio77 (Post 16822434)
Seems like AMEX is starting to get really stingy with awarding starpoints for continuing to hold the card. I literally had to speak with a manager's manager (and argue with him) in order to only get 1500 starpoints to continuing holding the card. I asked for more points and he even told me that "this is not a negotiation process." By no means have I been a big spender, but it looks like AMEX is definitely ready to let people cancel without providing incentives to stay onboard

Should Amex have to give a retention bonus??

I don't think that they are stingy at all... they just aren't stupid! If you only spent the required spending to get the bonus... and then a year later you try squeeze out some bonus points by saying you might cancel the card... it's really not worth SPG to give you anything. If you are a big spender and make Amex $$$ there is a reason to keep you around.

vrbaba Jul 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by rionio77 (Post 16822434)

Would have been much easier with a more fruitful outcome with a hang up and call back or Secure Message.