FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1214916-annual-fee-retention-bonus-starwood-amex-card-pre-may-2019-a.html)

birdyy Aug 26, 2011 1:06 pm

It never occurred to me to ask them. I figured, $65 a year for the thousands I save in a good deal. After reading the thread, I thought I'd give it a try this year. I SM'd them, asked nicely as suggested, charge over 100K a year and have been a AmEx member for 25 years. That got me a $65 statement credit. Oh, also got a response back in about 2 hours.

udaykiran82 Aug 26, 2011 9:40 pm

Sent an SM spent around 22k last year and gave me 3k points.AMEX is awesome!!!can't ask for more..

Globehopper Aug 27, 2011 10:42 am

Absolutely we cannot waive the fee, nor do we offer Starpoints!

Just got off the phone with a personable rep who claimed that it was absolutely impossible for Amex to waive the $65 fee, and stated this was never done under any circumstance (obviously he never reads FT).

At my request, I was transfered to a supervisor who took an even harder line. He stated emphatically that fee waivers are never given out nor bonus Starpoints. When I mentioned that other "friends" got relief, he wanted to know who they were so he could review their account.

After that bit of absurdity, I ended the call and sent an email requesting relief.

As a data point, I've had this card since 1996 and spend thousands each year with this card. This is not a churn and burn card.

So loyalty and good spending is not always recognized.

I will cancel this card if a more positive reply is not received.

RogerD408 Aug 27, 2011 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Globehopper (Post 17006240)
Just got off the phone with a personable rep who claimed that it was absolutely impossible for Amex to waive the $65 fee, and stated this was never done under any circumstance (obviously he never reads FT).

At my request, I was transfered to a supervisor who took an even harder line. He stated emphatically that fee waivers are never given out nor bonus Starpoints. When I mentioned that other "friends" got relief, he wanted to know who they were so he could review their account.

After that bit of absurdity, I ended the call and sent an email requesting relief.

As a data point, I've had this card since 1996 and spend thousands each year with this card. This is not a churn and burn card.

So loyalty and good spending is not always recognized.

I will cancel this card if a more positive reply is not received.

It is a shame there is not a collective "brain" that knows what everyone else is doing, or understands the good to be had by providing good customer service. As mentioned time and time again on FT, YMMV and if you don't get the answer you like, politely hang up and call back in.

I once called in about a problem and the agent I spoke with assured me there was no such problem with their system. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told SHE was a supervisor. Not letting up, she put me on hold to consult with someone. When she came back, she appoligized and said she's just back from maternity leave and had not caught up on her memos. Ooops.

Globehopper Aug 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 17006517)
It is a shame there is not a collective "brain" that knows what everyone else is doing, or understands the good to be had by providing good customer service. As mentioned time and time again on FT, YMMV and if you don't get the answer you like, politely hang up and call back in.

So here's the response that I got from AX email:

Thank you for writing in.

I wish I could, however, we cannot waive your Annual Membership Fee at this time.

This fee supports a variety of benefits and services on your account. You can visit http://www.americanexpress.com/benefits for an overview of these valuable benefits. We value your membership and hope you enjoy all your Card has to offer.

I hope this information has been useful.

Please allow me to personally express our sincere appreciation for your many years of Cardmember loyalty. We have valued your membership since 1996 and if there is any other way I can assist you, please feel free to respond.

__

I've sent a followup reply suggesting Starpoints.

I'm certainly curious as to why AX is so inconsistent.

ddsohn Aug 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Only had 15K-20K of spending on card...was given $25 credit via the retention department. Only had to make 1 phone call but was transferred to the retention department.

Globehopper Aug 28, 2011 7:22 am

Good thing there's FT to set things straight

After one phone call speaking to two persons + one email and followup email, this is the reply from AX:

__

Thank you for writing in again.

I have once again checked your Starwood Preferred Guest Card account and see that the Annual Membership Fee was free for the first year.

[Globehopper comment: Well yes, as there was no annual fee when the SPG AX card was first introduced (when I first became an SPG AX cardholder).]

I would also like to inform that there has never been an offer of one time annual fee waiver and/or up to 10,000 StarPoints because of the increased annual fee.

Sure enough, you have been a loyal Cardmember. I am therefore crediting your account with 5,000 Bonus StarPoints. These 5,000 StarPoints will be transferred to your Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) account number XXX within 3-5 business days.

I hope I have addressed your concerns appropriately and I appreciate the opportunity to be of service.

----

Without the power (and encouragement) of FT members, those AX folks would have you believe retention bonuses are a figment of one's imagination.

Nicer outcome, but in my opinion a somewhat grudging reply.

JumboJ Sep 1, 2011 1:06 pm

Called today about my 2 year old card coming up for an annual fee next month. Spending was heavy the first 6 months of this membership year but has tapered off lately due to trying to meet minimum spend on other new cards. I was initially offered a $50 statement credit.. which is alright, but then I asked about a points option and was offered 5,000. Easy decision to take the points.

kayjay Sep 1, 2011 9:01 pm

I called to request waiver of $65 annual fee. First year fee was fee ($45) ws waived. Spent over $30K in first year. Was offered $20 or 2000 SPG points.

Declined offer and cancelled card. I don't stay at Starwood Hotels. I fly AA almost exclusively (Jet Blue once in a while) and am participating in program getting 1.5 miles per $ spent.

The Amex representative stated that they do not waive annual fee. When I pointed out that I had read of many such waivers on various blogs, he responded that I shouldn't believe everything that I read.

TerryK Sep 1, 2011 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by kayjay (Post 17039774)
...The Amex representative stated that they do not waive annual fee.....

Same here, declined both by SM and phone. :td: Not even 2K point offer. I cancelled. I have SPG Amex since launch and charges $30K+ per year.

flyingstudent Sep 2, 2011 12:36 am

I think the retention bonus has to do with the large group of people who signed up last year during the 30k promo. Back then, they listed the annual fee as $45. The fee went up within a year and they're doing this to calm people down.

bernyx Sep 2, 2011 6:46 am

I called to ask to waive the fee and was offered only 1000 points, so I cancelled the card.

RogerD408 Sep 2, 2011 7:14 am

Originally Posted by kayjay (Post 17039774)
...The Amex representative stated that they do not waive annual fee. When I pointed out that I had read of many such waivers on various blogs, he responded that I shouldn't believe everything that I read.

I would have responded with: Or what you hear from CSRs. :p

jfadds Sep 2, 2011 11:06 am

was offered 1000 points - take it or leave it-- I LEFT!

mckelveymv Sep 2, 2011 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 17039890)
Same here, declined both by SM and phone. :td: Not even 2K point offer. I cancelled. I have SPG Amex since launch and charges $30K+ per year.

You held the SPG Amex for over 10 years, earning a minimum of $600 worth of points each year, have been paying an annual fee, and now cancelled because they wont offer you $40 worth of points? Hmmmm