Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
I always take the points but at some hotels they've asked if I'd like a complimentary drink from the bar in addition to the plat gift.

When I was in Marco Island Resort I took the two free breakfast vouchers and gave to my wife and daughter to use and the love the omelets and eggs Irish. My butt was aleady on the beach while they had breakfast

My guess is most people take the points. I have had clerks ask upfront if I wanted the points or would like to see the arrival gift list.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by Cantheplanegofaster?
I always take the points but at some hotels they've asked if I'd like a complimentary drink from the bar in addition to the plat gift.

My guess is most people take the points. I have had clerks ask upfront if I wanted the points or would like to see the arrival gift list.
I didnt say they didnt offer points - the card had the choices. I just expected more than two fruits.. I cant remember such a poor gift, just asking forum about their experiences, perhaps this is normal.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by dsauch
in Ghent Marriott (Belgium) - got an apple and a Kiwi
Truly doesn't sound like much of a gift, but here are some suggestions:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5862514_make...-cocktail.html
http://appleandkiwi.com/

Last edited by ohmark; Sep 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; National Ex Elite
I used to select a gift, but found that most of the properties give you something that you can walk down the hall and get in the lounge, with the exception of alcohol and ice cream. I just take the points now. I have had a few really nice arrival gifts, but mostly nothing special.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I often arrive after the lounge is closed.

Bruce
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:40 pm

No PLT Welcome Gift.."We've already credited you point."

First time this has every happened. I checked into the Seattle Waterfront and when I got to the room realized I hadn't been offered the Platinum welcome gift. As I left the hotel a few minutes later to run an errand I mentioned this to someone at the front desk (the person who checked me in wasn't there) and they confirmed that I should get the compensation.

Later back in my room I get a call and the same person tells me I'm not entitled because they have already credited my account with points. I tell her I'd never been offered a choice so how could that be? She had no answer but insisted if points was indicated then that was the end of it.

This seems a pretty strange response. I looked up the rules and it says one has to notify the hotel before checking out to be eligible for compensation. But if what this person says is true all the hotel has to do is offer the gift when you call (or say that points were already chosen) and they are off the hook.

Its not the hundred bucks but I'd sure like to understand what good is the Marriott guarantee if a hotel can forget about the welcome gift when you arrive (ie are welcomed) if they never have to pay it?

Is this really how the guarantee is supposed to work? If so under what circumstances would one be entitled to compensation?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sbedelman
Is this really how the guarantee is supposed to work? If so under what circumstances would one be entitled to compensation?
No, it's not. They must offer you the choice at check in. Push a bit harder; you should get the cash.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; AA Gold
Ask them to produce the card that you would have signed to indicate your choice of gift -- that should do the trick. Otherwise escalate it to Platinum customer support while you're still there.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by sspicer
Ask them to produce the card that you would have signed to indicate your choice of gift -- that should do the trick. Otherwise escalate it to Platinum customer support while you're still there.
I did ask that. They said they don't use the card at their location.

That sounded fishy. I've always been presented with the card but since I couldn't say for certain that some locations don't use them there wasn't a way I could think of to challenge the assertion.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I've collected it a few times over the years, the very first time was actually offered by the FD clerk at checkout when I asked for the points because the delivery never came (never heard of the rule at that point).

I always figured if it wasn't offered, no big deal if you remember and remind them to collect it later. But if you order it and it never comes, which does happen quite a lot, well, collect away....
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: LH FTL, UA 1K MM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I had this a number of times.

It might take a second inquiry, but I always got the cash.
Usually I would mention it in the next morning only, as I had Hotels where the card is in the room or a representative calls to the room within a few minutes after check-in.

When I mention the missing arrival gift in the morning in most cases the first reaction was - oh, then I give you the points...

Getting the cash usually requires the Front office manager to proceed it, but after mentioning the cash guarantee it always worked.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I had this happen one time. I went back to the desk with the intention of actually telling them they forgot to ask about my arrival gift, and then selecting it. I did not want the cash via the guarantee. (This was the next morning. IIRC.)

They told me "I SELECTED THE POINTS". As soon as I was being lied to, I wanted the cash. (Granted the front desk person i was speaking to wasnt the one that checked me in.) I asked them to produce the card. They couldnt. I asked them if they would like to see my Marriott history. I NEVER take the points. The truth was they forgot to ask and now I want the $$$. I received it without further difficulty. I also told them if it had been dealt with as a simple oversight, I would have been happy to get the gift that night.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I am currently checked in and didnt receive my welcome
Gift. I have not left the hotel yet but was hoping to approach the hotel and askfor compensation before I check out.

I was going to dine in the restaurant the buffet is $59.95 per person and was going to ask if I could have two buffets instead of the $100 which I am entitled to. I'm feeling the buffet doesn't cost them anymore and it's not $100 out of pocket it would work out.

If the hotel says I have chosen to take the points I will
Be arguing to see the welcome
Card were I took that option.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:52 pm

I didn't get any such card at check in to the Cosmopolitan in LV.

However, I was verbally offered the choice, and took the amenity in lieu of points. Great. The hotel charged me $3 to deliver the platinum amenity.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:01 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Amicus
However, I was verbally offered the choice, and took the amenity in lieu of points. Great. The hotel charged me $3 to deliver the platinum amenity.
What was the $3 for? Even tips are supposed to be covered by the amenity. I have never had to pay anything for any amenity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.