Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by wolfgame
The $100 guarantee was crazy....and I would have felt like an ... if I had ever brought it to Marriott's attention. Not my style...and far too much of a penalty against the hotel for not recognizing a hotel awards program status.
There are a lot of people who would disagree with you. Especially ask PP members who have encountered FDCs who do not even know what PP is, and even occasionally FDCs who do not know what Plat or Gold means (yes, this has happened to me), or that Plats are entitled to upgrades if available, etc. If they do not know their jobs, it is a reflection on the GM of the hotel as much as anything, and it is a wakeup call for the GM to do his/her job if enough guarantees are paid out. The guarantee is there for a reason, and no one should feel in the slightest bit guilty about invoking one or more of them. Guilt about it? Does a cop feel guilty about giving a $400 ticket for 9 miles over the speed limit? Why should any of us feel guilty about giving a hotel a $100 ticket for not putting us in the right kind of room, or not providing the proper welcome?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by USirritated
and no one should feel in the slightest bit guilty about invoking one or more of them. Guilt about it? Does a cop feel guilty about giving a $400 ticket for 9 miles over the speed limit? Why should any of us feel guilty about giving a hotel a $100 ticket for not putting us in the right kind of room, or not providing the proper welcome?
You offer a very poor analogy but I'll play. Some cops use their judgment and issue a warning instead of a ticket, if the situation warrants it.

In all occasions (but one) when I have encountered a guarantee situation, I chose to remind the hotel, rather than collect a payment. The one instance where I did invoke the guarantee was after I reminded the hotel three times over two days.

For some of us, getting by is much more important than getting over. Karma trumps dogma.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by dayone
You offer a very poor analogy but I'll play. Some cops use their judgment and issue a warning instead of a ticket, if the situation warrants it.

In all occasions (but one) when I have encountered a guarantee situation, I chose to remind the hotel, rather than collect a payment. The one instance where I did invoke the guarantee was after I reminded the hotel three times over two days.

For some of us, getting by is much more important than getting over. Karma trumps dogma.
Some cops do, but most don't, and many jurisdictions do not allow their officers (officially) to issue warnings. Most cops are on power trips. Sorry you think it is a poor analogy, but the principle is, a fine is a fine. There are reasons for traffic laws, and there are reasons for Marriott's guarantees. Marriott would not have put the guarantees in place if it did not wish for them to be used/invoked. IMO, I think that those who do not use the rules properly, both hotels and guests, should not complain about what they do not like. Again, the guarantees are there for a reason. If you do not wish to use them, that is your business, and if others wish to use the guarantees, that is their business, and guilt should not play into it.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by wolfgame
The $100 guarantee was crazy....and I would have felt like an ... if I had ever brought it to Marriott's attention. Not my style...and far too much of a penalty against the hotel for not recognizing a hotel awards program status.
Although I've never invoked the guarantee, even when I've been entitled to it because my room preference wasn't fulfilled, the fact it is there makes it more likely we get the benefits we are promised. As I've mentioned once or twice before on different threads on this board, I need a feather free room. That's not part of the guarantee, so it often doesn't happen. It's in my profile, I call and make sure it's been done, I'm told it's been done yet about a quarter of the time, it hasn't been done. If there was money on the line for the hotel, it would become something that would actually be checked and completed, not something to which many hotels give lip service.

Example: Late check-in last week at the Hoover AL CY. The desk clerk indicated the housekeeper, A****, said the room was feather free. Of course, it wasn't, and it took quite some time for the situation to be corrected. If the hotel had to pay out, A**** would have been reprimanded and would know not to do this again. Instead, A**** is either a liar or too incompetent to read the labels on the pillows but will likely not ever have to answer to anyone and will continue to be lazy or incompetent. Okay, the hotel is absolutely filthy, so obviously A**** is getting away with being paid for incompetence already. (Disgusting hardened crud on the elevator buttons, crunchy stuff on the carpets, nose imprints on the sliding glass door, etc.)

Heck, I'd be fine giving the $100 to charity. It's the hotel having to pay out the money that helps us; it's not about us profiting from a mistake. I don't want the $100; I want the feather free room. The guarantee would make it more likely I get the feather free room.

End of rant.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jun 1, 2013 at 7:42 pm
Old Jun 1, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Here's a real world comparison.

Houston - Galleria Area:

Hilton Garden Inn (as a Diamond): Get free hot buffet with cook to order breakfast. Welcome gift: full bottle of wine and chocolates. Free parking. 10% off Macy's coupon

JW Marriott (as Platinum): Free continental breakfast, welcome gift 500 pts or $10 credit. Parking fee: $17/day

JW is almost 3x more expensive as the HGI and that HGI is pretty nice... I haven't stayed at the JW up the street but Marriott needs to wake up and stop trying to stay just under the average of the minimum offerings of their competitors.
You could compare to FS Marriott in the area.

Marriott West Loop by Galleria: Breakfast is bit above average at the lounge, I got welcome gift + points not even asked. I suspect that property will continue to go above and beyond.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Although I've never invoked the guarantee, even when I've been entitled to it because my room preference wasn't fulfilled, the fact it is there makes it more likely we get the benefits we are promised. As I've mentioned once or twice before on different threads on this board, I need a feather free room. That's not part of the guarantee, so it often doesn't happen. It's in my profile, I call and make sure it's been done, I'm told it's been done yet about a quarter of the time, it hasn't been done. If there was money on the line for the hotel, it would become something that would actually be checked and completed, not something to which many hotels give lip service.

Example: Late check-in last week at the Hoover AL CY. The desk clerk indicated the housekeeper, A****, said the room was feather free. Of course, it wasn't, and it took quite some time for the situation to be corrected. If the hotel had to pay out, A**** would have been reprimanded and would know not to do this again. Instead, A**** is either a liar or too incompetent to read the labels on the pillows but will likely not ever have to answer to anyone and will continue to be lazy or incompetent. Okay, the hotel is absolutely filthy, so obviously A**** is getting away with being paid for incompetence already. (Disgusting hardened crud on the elevator buttons, crunchy stuff on the carpets, nose imprints on the sliding glass door, etc.)

Heck, I'd be fine giving the $100 to charity. It's the hotel having to pay out the money that helps us; it's not about us profiting from a mistake. I don't want the $100; I want the feather free room. The guarantee would make it more likely I get the feather free room.

End of rant.
On the money! It is not about a $100 windfall, it is about proper training and getting the jobs done!
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:52 pm

IMHO comparing a HGI to J.W. Marriott is not exactly a fair comparison, but I see your point, you are getting more bang for your buck at HGI.

I am a Hilton nobody, so I have no idea, but do Diamonds at full service properties receive any kind of welcome amenity, points, food/beverage item, hotel credit?

I am by no means defending the downgrade, but I try and look at it from all angels, with that said I am sure that most franchisees (and most Marriotts are franchised) would prefer to offer no benefits and strictly charge a nightly rate and collect all ancillary revenues.

Marriott has a loyalty program and if you want to flag your hotel as a Marriott you have to abide by certain things and one of them is offering the Elite benefits as laid out by Marriott.

If breakfast is a revenue generator, the hotel owner (aka the Franchisee) does not want to give up one cent of revenue. Marriott sees Elite customers wanting breakfast as an Elite Benefit and institutes free Continental Breakfast as a benefit. The net result is the Franchisees are going loose some portion of revenue that they would have generated from each guest Elite or not, thus it is not out of the realm of possibility that they (the Franchisees) might have insisted on a give back if they were going to institute this benefit (and loose some portion of Breakfast revenue) and that give back was the food/beverage amenity.

Again I am speculating here, but at least in my mind it is plausible,to be clear it still a downgrade and it is still not cool, but it at least makes sense and explains the downgrade.

Dan
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:25 am

Marriott Warsaw:

Either 500 points or a choice of 4 items like wine , nuts , fruits and so on.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
since the new PAG does not go into effect for several weeks and only affects US/CA props I don't understand the intent of your post.............

Originally Posted by Mystery7
Marriott Warsaw:

Either 500 points or a choice of 4 items like wine , nuts , fruits and so on.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
since the new PAG does not go into effect for several weeks and only affects US/CA props I don't understand the intent of your post.............
Oh I didn't read everything and thought that all props are effected ..

Never mind..
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by iztok
You could compare to FS Marriott in the area.

Marriott West Loop by Galleria: Breakfast is bit above average at the lounge, I got welcome gift + points not even asked. I suspect that property will continue to go above and beyond.
Compare to HGI Galleria?:

- Cook to order breakfast? Probably not
- Wine bottle + more for plat gift?
- $14 parking.
- 2x rate at HGI

Good point about the Courtyard... disappointing you can't get any free food from them. Hyatt Place also provides continental breakfast.

I certainly prefer top tier with Hilton, then Hyatt over Marriott. Only reason I am Plat on Mariott is because they have a RI one block from my work. It's hard to swallow I only get half points when I get full points with Homewood Suites, but have to stay outside of downtown (which I do to requal Diamond). Only saving grace are the 50K point promotions.

The RI I stay at shares the building with a CY. Free full breakfast is being served about 40 feet away from the CY lobby
Old Jun 2, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Here's a real world comparison.

Houston - Galleria Area:

Hilton Garden Inn (as a Diamond):
Get free hot buffet with cook to order breakfast.
This IS a defined benefit of the HHonors program. For HH golds, you must select breakfast as your "MyWay" benefit or you don't get it.

Welcome gift: full bottle of wine and chocolates.
This is NOT an HHonors defined benefit at an HGI.

Free parking.

10% off Macy's coupon

JW Marriott (as Platinum): Free continental breakfast, welcome gift 500 pts or $10 credit. Parking fee: $17/day
These ARE the defined benefits for a MR platinum - but not for a few weeks. I still got my half bottle of wine at my Marriott stay this week.

You were comparing an HH property that obviously went above and beyond the brand standard (and good for them). "Real world" it was not.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Great example of the upcoming downgrade:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/14028

Cheers.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Great example of the upcoming downgrade:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/14028

Cheers.
LOL. I have never seen a wine and cheese amenity gift like the one depicted in that post in any US properties.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sammyindc
LOL. I have never seen a wine and cheese amenity gift like the one depicted in that post in any US properties.
Yeah, but you've seen the wine listing prices & those are valid!

I intend to (politely) let each US property I stay at know that I'm not happy w/ the $10FB credit & encourage them to go back to the food/drink amenity, reminding them that Marriott says that's the minimum they have to do & can choose to augment it - ie, provide a 3rd option.

Marriott really had the chance to hit it out of the ballpark w/ 3 choices: a) 500 points, b) $10 FB credit; c) food/drink amenity, but struck out instead. Of course they're trying to increase their FB revenue, so not surprising.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.