Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Yeah, but my guess is that 90% of the properties will offer the basic because the amenity cards are pre-printed by the thousands.

I definitely intend to let GMs at properties know that I prefer the old arrival gift back. If they say they're complying w/ corporate I'm going to mention that Michelle & Ed both said that the 500/10$ is the minimum but they can go above that if they choose.

Bold mind re: 2nd paragraph. That's why this is being done. @:-) Thanks for sharing Dan.

FWIW - if Marriott had said, the plat arrival gift will be:

* 500 points or
* $10 F/B credit or
* food/drink amenity

they would have knocked it out of the park/scored a home run w/ Plat elites. Instead they're cutting back/doing the nickel/diming/thousand cuts.

Cheers.
Agree with the last part. Have these 3 choices would have satisfied most people and really made us feel appreciated as elites.

Regarding the amenity cards, some properties have their own/different ones. For example JW Marriott Ihilani had their own amenity card and offered items unique to Hawaii (pineapple, fruit baskets,...). So there is a possibility that some properties will still have their own thing. The Cosmopolitan never had the pre-printed amenity card but the letter instead so maybe these will stay.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Husband always chose the points when travelling on business and always the gift when travelling with me, or with me and kids. Since our kids got bigger and we routinely get two rooms, most hotels were kind enough to send up two arrival gifts. Soda for me and the kids, beer or wine for him, and one cheese plate and one fruit plate. It was always nice to see what each hotel would do with that.
+1

That's our experience exactly. My teens (future loyal Marriott customers?) LOVE getting their own cokes & snack plate delivered. This will be a big disappointment all around. I just can't believe cokes & cheese & crackers cost that much, relative to the price being paid for stay at a FS hotel.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Ok, I posted on Insiders this for Michelle & also PM'd Marriott Concierge to get clarification on the following. Will let you know when I hear. I also asked 1 question re: the breakfast changes, but will post what I asked re: that in the breakfast thread.

Currently the Plat arrival gift guarantee applies if you're not asked if you want points or food/drink amenity upon arrival (or if the food/drink isn't delivered), with the caveat being that the request for compensation must occur before checkout. So - 2 related questions: a) will the Plat arrival gift guarantee still exist (ie, if you're not asked which you prefer can you invoke it as you can via current policy); b) can it be invoked if the $10 credit does not appear on the folio?

Is the 500 points or $10 F&B credit for a) US/Canada only or b) worldwide? The change was announced w/ the change in US/Canada weekend breakfast notice, so it's not clear if it only affects the US/Canada or properties worldwide. Please advise which. If worldwide, is it then $10 equivalent in local currency.

Cheers.
I wish that you would not have asked them about the guarantee, as in don't give them any bright new ideas! The ideas they have come up with are bad enough already! (Not to be totally negative about these issues, the change in arrival gift is not good, but the 7 day breakfast change is pretty good.)
Old May 29, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Marriott just sent me an email asking why I've stayed so few nights this year. I went from 100+ nights last year to almost none this year because of their changes.

If everyone on this board would stop staying at Marriott for a year or two it might have some impact.

If a company treats me well I give them all my business. That isn't Marriott at the moment.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Marriott just sent me an email asking why I've stayed so few nights this year. I went from 100+ nights last year to almost none this year because of their changes.

If everyone on this board would stop staying at Marriott for a year or two it might have some impact.

If a company treats me well I give them all my business. That isn't Marriott at the moment.
I agree with you, I am generally one of the most loyal people on the planet, and have been with Marriott for more than twenty years. However, for some of us, such as myself, who no longer travel for business, but have reached LT Plat with Marriott, the options are slim to none for switching, because I will probably not be staying enough to qualify (or keep, if I status matched) for equivalent to Gold or Plat with a different hotel company. That means kind of being stuck with Marriott.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:11 pm

So it sounds like at his property he didn't offer breakfast coupons on the weekends if he's wondering what comp cont'l breakfast is going to do to his bottom line.
Correct this property has never issued coupons on the weekends as far as I know.

Guess one question is how many of those eating breakfast at the restaurant on the weekends were Gold/Plats, and were they paying for full brekkie vs. cont'l.
I did not have the presence of mind to ask him this question, but when I had inquired about coupons for Elites in the past (approx 3 years ago), this same GM (actually met him because I was inquiring about coupons) had said that some weekends GLD/PLTs are the majority of his guests and that handing out coupons would eat into his revenues and the Franchisee would not like that.

[B]He's got the option of using the lounge or the restaurant, or he can say cont'l is free w/ very specific items in the restaurant, but do an up charge for full buffet as some properties do now.

Cheers.
Good point, he seemed to indicate that the Elite Amenity would the Continental Breakfast buffet as found on the menu (essentially everything but the hot options).

One other thing I just remembered, he said that it was suggested (I do not remember where though I would have to guess probably Marriott corp.) that the Food/Beverage manager or somebody at the restaurant should pick a few appetizers that along with a glass of wine/cocktail would be equal $10 so that the Elites felt they were getting something for the $10.

He seemed to indicate to me that was going to be status quo at this property but time will tell.

Dan
Old May 30, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Does anyone know (and apologies if this has been answered) but can the $10 be applied towards honor bar drinks from the club lounge? Or is it only good at restaurant/room service?
Old May 30, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dan1431
He said that he may open the lounge for breakfast on weekends rather than offer breakfast out of the restaurant as it would be easier to account for and far more capable of being cost controlled.
I find this strange. Doesn't opening the lounge on weekends cost more than simply giving Gold/Platinum members free breakfast in the restaurant?
Old May 30, 2013, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm pretty bummed that they'd be removing the other food/drink amenity. Usually I take the points, however when traveling with my fiance for a weekend we like to take one of the other choices like the fruit/cheese plate or nuts/cheese depending on what the property offers. Certain properties we visit give a really nice offering.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
you can still get your fruit/cheese provided its no more then $10, but if it is a few bucks more then the difference would be on your account, but will the props actually go that far or will some just stay with the old system going above and beyond the bare minimum (inc. those props that previously provided both points and amenity) - I guess time will tell..........

Originally Posted by rylan
I'm pretty bummed that they'd be removing the other food/drink amenity. Usually I take the points, however when traveling with my fiance for a weekend we like to take one of the other choices like the fruit/cheese plate or nuts/cheese depending on what the property offers. Certain properties we visit give a really nice offering.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by USirritated
I wish that you would not have asked them about the guarantee, as in don't give them any bright new ideas! The ideas they have come up with are bad enough already! (Not to be totally negative about these issues, the change in arrival gift is not good, but the 7 day breakfast change is pretty good.)
I seriously doubt my asking is the first time the Plat guarantee will have crossed their mind. Here's my take (guess) on it - they'll say it applies if we're not asked at all (similar to current policy), but doesn't if it's not deducted from folio because they can correct it at check-out.

Originally Posted by dan1431
1. I did not have the presence of mind to ask him this question, but when I had inquired about coupons for Elites in the past (approx 3 years ago), this same GM (actually met him because I was inquiring about coupons) had said that some weekends GLD/PLTs are the majority of his guests and that handing out coupons would eat into his revenues and the Franchisee would not like that.

2. Good point, he seemed to indicate that the Elite Amenity would the Continental Breakfast buffet as found on the menu (essentially everything but the hot options).

3. One other thing I just remembered, he said that it was suggested (I do not remember where though I would have to guess probably Marriott corp.) that the Food/Beverage manager or somebody at the restaurant should pick a few appetizers that along with a glass of wine/cocktail would be equal $10 so that the Elites felt they were getting something for the $10.

Dan
1. Understand the reasoning, especially if a lot of weekend guests are G/Ps. I know one GM a few years ago said he'd keep the lounge open on weekends as long as it made revenue-sense, but if it didn't he'd shut it down again. He ended up tweaking it - increasing brekkie but decreasing evening offerings because too much did impact his restaurant in the evening.

2. Cont'l can be what he makes of it - whether it matches the menu or something else. If he switches to the lounge, he can match current cont'l or reduce the offerings.

3. Given most hotels charge $8-10 for a glass of wine & similar for appetizers, I don't see how he can put together a package of both that is $10, but good on him if he thinks he can do it.

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Does anyone know (and apologies if this has been answered) but can the $10 be applied towards honor bar drinks from the club lounge? Or is it only good at restaurant/room service?
The final details haven't been announced, but unless they specifically say r/rs I'd try to argue the honor bar.

Originally Posted by tbm13
I find this strange. Doesn't opening the lounge on weekends cost more than simply giving Gold/Platinum members free breakfast in the restaurant?
Not necessarily, especially if it's only open for breakfast. One staff person (maybe 2) that can be pulled from the restaurant, limited hours, and limited - ie, cont'l - offerings.

Cheers.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: LTP, PP
A small saving grace MIGHT be if they allowed the $10 to be used at the gift shop where $10 might buy 3 over priced power/zone bars or other decent snacks. Somehow I doubt this though...

I know I must be in the vast minority, but even though financially comfortable now after years of hard work, I just cannot bring myself to overpay hotel prices for F&B unless someone else is paying the tab. And even then it took me years to get over that guilt.

So on personal stays, I'm generally bringing in my own alcohol and going off-site for food, snacks and beverages rather than paying hugely inflated prices plus service charges and gratuities.

So they can dangle the $10 credit at me but its not going to change my habits.

A tiny glimmer of hope regarding the weekend breakfasts, maybe some will open the lounges on the weekend? Even if limited hours, at least there will be an opportunity to grab sodas and waters...
Old May 30, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USirritated
I agree with you, I am generally one of the most loyal people on the planet, and have been with Marriott for more than twenty years. However, for some of us, such as myself, who no longer travel for business, but have reached LT Plat with Marriott, the options are slim to none for switching, because I will probably not be staying enough to qualify (or keep, if I status matched) for equivalent to Gold or Plat with a different hotel company. That means kind of being stuck with Marriott.
Well, while Marriott isn't among them*, there are at least two hotel programs (IHG Priority Club and Hilton HHonors) where you can get second-level status, year after year, just by holding a credit card (for those that live in the US, at least). So you're $49/year away (offset by an annual free nigh cert, not restricted to categories at this point) from being Plat in Priorty Club (about to be renamed, btw, though elite perks tend to be up to the individual hotel only), and $95/year away from being Gold (free brekkie & free internet worldwide) in Hilton HHonors.

(*While Marriot's credit card does give you Marriott status, it only gives you Silver, plus 15 out of 50 nights toward Gold. So to me that's not really comparable to full second-tier status just for having the card.)
Old May 30, 2013, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Got some info from Michelle on Insiders:

"The new Platinum arrival gift policy applies to US & Canada only.

The Platinum arrival guarantee still exists. The credit is not a folio credit - but a coupon that can be used in the hotel outlets"

Cheers.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
you can still get your fruit/cheese provided its no more then $10, but if it is a few bucks more then the difference would be on your account, but will the props actually go that far or will some just stay with the old system going above and beyond the bare minimum (inc. those props that previously provided both points and amenity) - I guess time will tell..........
Based on my experiences, you may be able to get an appetizer for about $10, but it won't be delivered to your room. The split of wine will also cost an additional $22 + tip and delivery charge. The $10 F&B credit will basically cover the standard room service delivery charge in most FS hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.