Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Perhaps the compensations for not fulfilling the platinum guarantee are a bit too high. If they were a bit more reasonable (maybe 1/3 to 1/2 what they are now), then the hotels would pay up more easily and platinum members would be less hesitant to ask for it.
Originally Posted by ohmark
And, of course, the incentive to provide proper service would be greatly reduced, which is, after all, the entire point.
I saw that the point was to provide incentive for proper service. But if compensations were reduced to something more reasonable, people would request them more often, and hotels would pay them more often, so the amount paid out by hotels would not drop too much. And therefore the net incentive for good service would not necessarily drop much.

This is my intuitive economics of the situation based on what I'm reading here, and my own discomfort requesting (seemingly outrageous) compensation. Of course, my intuitions could be wrong.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Actually, the penalties may be too low. Maybe if they doubled or tripled the pay outs, the properties would take it seriously and properly train their FDCs or provide tools that would help them do things right the first time. Then their total pay outs might even drop substantially.

It's a numbers game and can be spun many different ways.

We had an office saying: Never enough time to do it right, always time to do it twice.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BigE
But if compensations were reduced to something more reasonable, people would request them more often, and hotels would pay them more often, so the amount paid out by hotels would not drop too much. And therefore the net incentive for good service would not necessarily drop much.
For me, the incentive goes the other way. If it were lower, I might not bother to ask. While some hotels are great about the guarantee, asking always feels awkward. If the guarantee were much lower (especially at Courtyards, Fairfields, etc. where it already is pretty low), I'm not sure I'd want to risk the discomfort and potentially lengthy process for a small benefit.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by ktjan
I just checked into the Marriott downtown KC last night. I was not offered a platinum arrival gift upon check-in. I asked the front-desk manager this morning and he asked for my phone number and promised he would call me back. 30 min later, he called and said that 500 points were actually deposited to my account yesterday when I checked in last night. I said why I was not asked what gift options I had when I checked in and the manager just apologized and said the check-in personnel should have asked. So if what the manager told me is the truth, technically, they still made the platinum guarantee. But the fact that I was not offered the platinum gift option upon check-in and they just presumed I would choose the points (which I would) and didn't ask me, would I be entitled to the $100? The manager offered me 500 additional points as a consolation prize. Is it fair?

Oh well, I've checked out five days ago and I'm not sure if the manager lied to me because I don't even see any additional 500 points in my MR account. I'm going back again the second week of August and this time I will insist they have to pay me if they don't offer me the arrival gift when I check in.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Oh well, I've checked out five days ago and I'm not sure if the manager lied to me because I don't even see any additional 500 points in my MR account. I'm going back again the second week of August and this time I will insist they have to pay me if they don't offer me the arrival gift when I check in.
No, if they didn't make the offer, they did not meet the terms of the benefit and should pay up. If the manager made a promise of points, call and make sure they are going to post the points. If they deny any knowledge of the promise, then you know what you are dealing with and should book accordingly. Give them one reminder to do what they said and then open a complaint with MR, that's not the type of attention most properties want.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, CO/Star Platinum/Gold, National Executive Elite
I was told by a Marriott hotel manager that the bonus points could take up to 4 weeks to post. She asked me to wait 4 weeks, and if I still don't see the points, get back to her.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:16 am

I am in a small town in Iowa and checked in last night. I had requested a roll-away (I have 3 small children with me) and by the time we had gotten here they were all gone. I realized this happens and always travel with a blow up mattress. But I have the front desk an opportunity to recognize I was platinum by asking her if they didn't reserve the rollaways for the platinum. she said--"I really don't know how they do that--they do in in the day time"

We are staying for 3 nights. do i go down this morning and ask for the guarantee or wait until I check out? This is the first time I have had to do this. and if I have to call CS where is the number?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ljknecht570
We are staying for 3 nights. do i go down this morning and ask for the guarantee or wait until I check out? This is the first time I have had to do this. and if I have to call CS where is the number?
The morning after arrival is the perfect time. Don't ever wait until checkout, when you are in a hurry, and they aren't!

Bruce
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bdschobel
The morning after arrival is the perfect time. Don't ever wait until checkout, when you are in a hurry, and they aren't!

Bruce
Agreed, never wait until the last day. I usually go in the morning or after I get back from my client that afternoon.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
I am in a small town in Iowa and checked in last night. I had requested a roll-away (I have 3 small children with me) and by the time we had gotten here they were all gone. I realized this happens and always travel with a blow up mattress. But I have the front desk an opportunity to recognize I was platinum by asking her if they didn't reserve the rollaways for the platinum. she said--"I really don't know how they do that--they do in in the day time"

rollaways are requests ony regardless of elite status
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no reason the arrival gift should post up to 4 weeks after the stay. When done correctly it has always posted with the stay for us.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Guaranteed Arrival Gift is for points or something from the market or other gift. If they did not offer you one or the other then you should collect the $s. The lack of a roll-away does not trigger the guarantee, although a good aurgument they messed up in other areas too. Sounds like your mentioning being Platinum should have jogged her memory there was more business to transact (the gift). Sometimes you get them off their script and that's it. Request the guarantee the next day or sometime BEFORE checkout, as once you are checked out, they are off the hook. Some properties try to claim they have until you leave to make the offer, but that is INCORRECT and call the Plat line if they insist.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:35 pm

2 Sam Adams Lagers
Box of Carr's Water Crackers
Fairly large (much more than we could eat) wedge of Brie

Marriott SeaTac Airport last Saturday night.

All in all, a very nice hotel! They must do well when people are flying in for Alaska cruises...
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by socrates
rollaways are requests ony regardless of elite status
When I was gold I had a Fairfield tell me that they gave the rollaways to platinum's first--i was just going off of that.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:31 pm

So as a follow up...I went down to the Front desk and explained what happened. She said he would give me the points. I told her yes and I would also like the compensation for not being given any choice at arrival. she looked at me like I was crazy and she had never heard it before. I had to explain what I was talking about. She said she had to make a call and when she came back about 10 min later she handed me $25, had me sign a paper and apologized for any inconvenience. Very well handled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.