Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:32 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stallion114
A)Was I entitled to the $100 since they caught the mistake and offered the next day?
B)If yes to A any chance of me getting some points out of this? I still have the letter.
A) Yes, they have to offer the check-in amenity at check-in, not later in the stay. You have to push for the guarantee before you check-out. Once you've checked-out, you can't push the issue.
B) In most cases, your chances are much lower after check-out the T&Cs are pretty clear on asking for it before then. But in your case, you did ask for it. Since you actually have a letter from the hotel stating you asked for the guarantee, but they refused because you hadn't checked-out, I would give the Plat line a call and let them know you tried to get the guaruantee, but the hotel wouldn't pay up,. Let them know you have a letter from the hotel stating they feel that the check-in amenity can be offered at any point before check-in and thus they won't pay up.

The problem that might arise is that you should have escalated the issue while you were still checked in. Yes, you did try to get the guarantee payout and yes the hotel wouldn't, but you stopped at that point. But I think you have a decent chance of getting something from the hotel on this issue.

At the least, pushing the issue even now, may hopefully prompt Marriott to contact the hotel in question and let them know that a check-in amenity is supposed to be offered at check-in, not days later.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat0809
In my discussion with the FD clerk he claimed that ALL FI's now just give points instead of Water/Juice/Cookies.

Hmmmmm.
I also heard that from an FI clerk. (She didn't forget and make it up afterwards, she told me when I was checking in, "I'm giving you 200 points since we no longer offer water and cookies.")
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Two different FIs on opposite coasts (CA & FL) and asked that very question and neither had heard of any changes. Offered points, but had bags ready for other items. I guess we will need to let this play out a bit. Maybe a particular franchise or group is making the change.

Wish Marriott Concierge would actually participate with these types of issues.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:25 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, VIPorter, Aeroplan
I am currently staying at a FI @ YAM and they still offer me points or something from their Market.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I have had it go both ways at FI's. My most recent stay was at the FI Youngstown - Austintown, OH. They thanked me for being platinum; however didn't offer me anything at check in. The 200 points for the arrival gift showed up on my account when the stay posted. At other FI's I have been asked what I would like for my arrival gift.

On a semi-related note, I have had a very good track record of upgrades at FI's. I typically book a King guest room and > %75 of the time I am upgraded to a King Studio suite without asking. Granted it is still a FI, but the extra room is nice and I like that they do the upgrade without my asking. My sucess rate for suite upgrades at CY's is much, much lower.
YMMV....

--Jon
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Might be a franchisee policy. Whatever LLC owns the properties may have directed them to ditch the cookies.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
No Plat Welcome....

First for me tonight.....

Checked in using a free night cert earned during the last megabonus. No mention of my plat status or asking if I want points or anything.

Is this typical when using a free night? I was also at a Residence Inn if that matters.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude

Checked in using a free night cert earned during the last megabonus. No mention of my plat status or asking if I want points or anything.

Is this typical when using a free night? I was also at a Residence Inn if that matters.

Thoughts?
Should be no difference for free nights.

Looks like you would be entitled to the 'guarantee'. Need to address it before checking out.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum

Is this typical when using a free night? I was also at a Residence Inn if that matter.

Thoughts?
It's not earthshaking, but it happens. Now, if you choose, claim your guarantee cash before you checkout or, if you'd rather, simply remind the desk clerk that you weren't offered the plat amenity and would like it. Judging by a number of posts here, you may be told by the front desk that your memory has failed you, that you did, in fact, already make a choice; you chose points.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by deac83
Should be no difference for free nights.

Looks like you would be entitled to the 'guarantee'. Need to address it before checking out.
What should I say or do?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:55 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Just inform the desk at checkout that you did not receive your Platinum Amenity at check-in and that you would like to invoke the Platinum Arrival Amenity Guarantee ($50 for RI I believe). One of a few things will then happen:

1) The hotel will pay out the $50 with little to no argument (if you are paying out of pocket, an acceptable alternative that I find most hotels prefer is to take it straight off of the room bill)

2) The hotel will attempt to offer you the amenity then (in which case you can choose to either accept this or stand firm)

3) The hotel will make up some excuse about how you either chose points, point selection is automatically in your profile (this does not actually exist by the way), they can offer it at anytime before checkout, etc etc in which case, speaking from experience, it probably isn't worth it to argue it as generally it goes nowhere
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Yes, invoke the guarantee..

On the rare occasions when I've don so, and the hotel said, Oh You chose points..i say...Please produce the amenity card that I filled out at check in....

at that point, they go to the office, and return with my cash.
(as a rule, unless I am in my "home" hotel....i fill out and initial the card! my local mattress run place has been too good to me in the past.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Thoughts?
You can still complain at checkout, but as a piece of future advice, the time to deal with issues is on the spot. Whether that's missing towels, the Internet doesn't work or whatever. 99% of these things are minor glitches and don't need to occupy the amount of time they do for some.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by megtravels
Yes, invoke the guarantee..

On the rare occasions when I've don so, and the hotel said, Oh You chose points..i say...Please produce the amenity card that I filled out at check in....

at that point, they go to the office, and return with my cash.
(as a rule, unless I am in my "home" hotel....i fill out and initial the card! my local mattress run place has been too good to me in the past.
Very interesting. I E-Mailed the Marriott Platinum line a few weeks ago and was told that you only receive the guarantee if you were offered an amenity and did not receive it...
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Izz24703
Very interesting. I E-Mailed the Marriott Platinum line a few weeks ago and was told that you only receive the guarantee if you were offered an amenity and did not receive it...
You also get the guarantee if you're not offered the amenity at all. If they don't offer it, then obviously you're not going to receive it

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.