Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
CJKatl

you just captured my state upon arrival. I arrived past midnight ready to just crash. I'm half asleep and then this guy is asking me to go around the block. I was so sleepy that I first got into the Super 8 as it was behind the comfort inn. By the time I hit the bed it was 2AM.

That was when the I80 noise started pounding on me. I barely slept and was late for the morning conf sessions. It was a terrible way to start a business trip.

I'll write to MR.

thx
venkat
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:02 pm

Friends

got the following reply from the courtyard SLC GM. There is no mention about the $100 ultimate guarantee but he is offering 2 nights in any courtyard. My original stay was using an visa ecert and not a paid stay. Does the ultimate guarantee applies only for paid stay?

Should I take this or ask again. Seeking your advice.

Its funny he is saying its not the practice at his property to walk people and in the same statement he is saying it ended up being me this time.

Best
Venkat

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Sukavanam:

I received a copy of the email you sent to our customer service team and wanted to write to you and apologize for the inconvenience we caused when we relocated you to the Comfort Suites during your recent visit to Salt Lake City . It is certainly not our practice to relocated guests and again, I am sorry it ended up being you this time.

I would like to send you 2 complimentary night certificates that are good at any Courtyard for your inconvenience. If you would send me the address you would like me to sent it to I will get if out in the mail to you right away.

Thanks again for your patience and I look forward to your reply.

Ted XYZ

General Manager
Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Airport
801-532-**** x.***
www.whitelodging.com
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Do you still have your Visa e-cert or was it considered "used"? They are supposed to pay for your night at the other hotel. And then assuming your elite Marriott rewards # was in the reservation, you should have also recdeived the $100 for the guarantee. It doesn't matter that you were on an award stay.

Basically, you should have received a "free" night plus the $100. You did receive two free night coupons at any CY. Personally, I would say that the value is pretty close (as long as there are no category stipulations to your CY coupons.) Basically, if you think you can use the 2 free night coupons for something, then I'd probably accept the offer. If you're not going to be able to use them and prefer the cash, then you might try to push the guarantee issue. (Again, the extra $100 does assume your MR# was in the reservation and that you are a Silver/Gold/Plat elite.)
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Write him back, with and address to send the 2 certs AND the $100 payment to!

Do not let this hotel get away with walking an elite.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Thanks for the update!

I would write back, copy Marriott corporate office and ask why the $100 was not offered. The coupons seem like a good deal. If you use them at one of the more expensive CYs they could be worth more than double the $100 each. But Marriott needs to know that their hotel does not follow the correct procedure.

BTW - was your post a cut-and-paste of an email that was sent to you or did you re-type it? The reason I ask is the typo would be okay if you were retyping something, but would be pretty bad if it was within the actual apology sent by the hotel manager.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:53 pm

My Marriott number was definitely there in the record and I am a silver member. The visa cert shows up as used in my account.

The email was an exact replica of what I got. The only thing I edited out was his name and his phone number.

I'll write back asking for the $100. BTW is this $100 money or is it Marriott dollars usable in other marriott.

thx
Venkat
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Write him back, with and address to send the 2 certs AND the $100 payment to!

Do not let this hotel get away with walking an elite.
The problem with this approach is that the manager is not required to send both the certs and the $100 payment (unless the OP is a Marriott Plat). That is why I suggested the OP evaluate before replying. The manager might come back and say your Visa e-cert has been returned unused and here is the $100, but not send any free night coupons. Then what if the OP ends up staying at another CY somewhere that the cost is more than $100/night. If so, then yes, you forced the manager to pay out the $100, but you lost out on even more savings by having two free night certs.

(Of course, the OP could get lucky and the manager will give both. But just be careful doing that as you could end up with less not more.)

The $100 would be cash in hand, not Marriott dollars.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Need to get the $100 out of them.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:41 pm

here is the reply from the GM. pretty fast.

================================================== ===
The certificates are good at all Courtyards. I was offering one
certificate to make up for the lost night here and the second was a
bonus in place of the $100. I thought it was a better more lucrative
deal for you. Courtyard one night stays are typically in the $150-$200
range.

Ted ****
General Manager
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:55 pm

One possible alternative is you could ask that the GM give you the same type of free night certs a Plat would get. Those have no (or very little) restrictions and are good at any Marriott hotel or resort worldwide.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 5:08 am

On occasion over the years I've been "walked" from hotels when I've been at various levels of the hotel's program.

Its not fun, and it annoys me when it happens. But basically I just want the hotel to then make things right. One of the nice things about the Marriott program is that they are explicit about what needs to happen when the hotel makes this mistake.

I'd say that the manager has made you a decent offer and I'd accept it. Your time is valuable and why let this linger on and on.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by venkat
Friends

got the following reply from the courtyard SLC GM. There is no mention about the $100 ultimate guarantee but he is offering 2 nights in any courtyard. My original stay was using an visa ecert and not a paid stay. Does the ultimate guarantee applies only for paid stay?

Should I take this or ask again. Seeking your advice.

Its funny he is saying its not the practice at his property to walk people and in the same statement he is saying it ended up being me this time.

Best
Venkat

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Sukavanam:

I received a copy of the email you sent to our customer service team and wanted to write to you and apologize for the inconvenience we caused when we relocated you to the Comfort Suites during your recent visit to Salt Lake City . It is certainly not our practice to relocated guests and again, I am sorry it ended up being you this time.

I would like to send you 2 complimentary night certificates that are good at any Courtyard for your inconvenience. If you would send me the address you would like me to sent it to I will get if out in the mail to you right away.

Thanks again for your patience and I look forward to your reply.

Ted XYZ

General Manager
Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Airport
801-532-**** x.***
www.whitelodging.com

It doesn't matter how the stay is paid for, the guarantee still applies regardless
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
If that GM thinks that a typical CY night is $150-200, he's high. I don't stay in a CY unless it's under $100 and I'm footing the bill personally.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Cargojon
If that GM thinks that a typical CY night is $150-200, he's high.
Depends on where you are. In Denver the CY was around $150+, the one in Munich is usually $150+. Some smaller towns/cities are around $100 per night though.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 6:09 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I would take the certs. CY in NY for example is $350 easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.