Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAGOLF:
Thanks for the replies so far guys. Do you know whether the "free room certificates" are only for the property in question or can they be used at other Renaissance properties?</font>
They are a special certificate the hotel must order from the MR folks and are good worldwide (as long as you can book a room you can use the certificate)

Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:54 am

Thanks again for the comments. I am Hilton Gold but don't have elite status with Marriott - just a lowly regular Rewards member. I therefore am not automatically eligible for the benefits - but want to request something that is reasonable considering the inconvenience.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:55 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAGOLF:
Thanks again for the comments. I am Hilton Gold but don't have elite status with Marriott - just a lowly regular Rewards member. I therefore am not automatically eligible for the benefits - but want to request something that is reasonable considering the inconvenience.</font>
I would ask for enough points for 3 nights at that hotel. Seems pretty reasonable to me. That way you can do whatever you want with them with no pressure about expirations and such.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:20 pm

Time is running out. What did you decide to ask for?

Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:14 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by longing4piedmont:
I would not expect any more than what is guaranteed. From web site....

The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, your Marriott Rewards membership number and a valid credit card number must be part of your reservation. If unable to honor reservation, the hotel will pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby comparable hotel and compensate the member for the inconvenience. Compensation varies by lodging brand (see below):
</font>
Are you saying that a Residence Inn is comparable to a Renaissance resort? I'd say that by their own rules, they owed him much more than what he has received.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tino:
Are you saying that a Residence Inn is comparable to a Renaissance resort? I'd say that by their own rules, they owed him much more than what he has received.</font>
To answer the first part of your question, there is no way to know based upon the information we have. The only other hotel in the area may be a Motel 6 and Red Roof. If that is the case, then I would say that RI fit the bill.

To your second point, They may not owe him even that. By his own admission, he has no status with Marriott and the rules posted above only deal with elite members. Couldn't find anything about a reservation guarantee on the web site for non elite members.

I also didn't comment on what I thought was right or wrong, I simply posted what the guarantee states what they will do for elites. If you book something with anyone and it has a guaranteed in any form, why would you think you were entitled to more than what you agreed to when you entered into the agreement. Not knowing what you agreed to is no excuse and just because you do not feel it is fair, is not going to cut it either. If the conditions of the guarantee were not/are not acceptable, book some where else.

[This message has been edited by longing4piedmont (edited Jan 22, 2004).]
Old Jan 22, 2004, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by longing4piedmont:

To your second point, They may not owe him even that. By his own admission, he has no status with Marriott and the rules posted above only deal with elite members.
</font>
Typical MR T & Cs. Why give him anything? He's only a customer!!!
Old Jan 22, 2004, 6:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fireworksboy:
Typical MR T & Cs. Why give him anything? He's only a customer!!! </font>
Why don't you pound dirt somewhere else. For someone who has left you sure seem to have a problem leaving.

FYI, I was just trying to be helpful with the original post considering the posibilty he might have some status with Marriott. He does not and I have no idea what he can or cannot ask for because I can find nothing on the web which states the policy for non-elites. Knowing what your rights are under the guarantee would certainly be a good place to start when deciding what to ask for. BTW, I notice that you have chosen not to help with what they may in fact owe him, only to throw rocks at Marriott. They are obligated to honor the guarantee and no more. What they do above that is a measure of how much they value him as a customer.

That being said, I said nothing as to whether this was right, wrong, more than enoungh, not enough, etc. They do in fact owe him something. Do you know what that is or would just like to continue throwing rocks?

Old Jan 22, 2004, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
FYI, I was just trying to be helpful with the original post considering the posibilty he might have some status with Marriott. [This message has been edited by longing4piedmont (edited Jan 22, 2004).]</font>
l4p, I meant no disrespect to you or the obvious help you were trying to forward on to the writer. Only making a comment on what I believe to be a lack of accountability on MR's part. I believe if MR accepts a reservation, regardless of status, they are responsible for "making things right" by that customer if they can't comply. No more. No less. My point was that he is a customer whether he has elite status or he doesn't. That goes for any hotel or airline and not just MR.

You'll also notice I didn't state that I thought they owed him some outrageous or minimal amount of compensation, I left that to more experienced minds like yourself.

What would you do if you showed up for an airline reservation and the airline said "Sorry, we have no seat for you", would you expect compensation?

[This message has been edited by fireworksboy (edited Jan 22, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by fireworksboy (edited Jan 22, 2004).]
Old Jan 22, 2004, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Jan 22, 2004, 7:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fireworksboy:
l4p, I meant no disrespect to you or the obvious help you were trying to forward on to the writer. Only making a comment on what I believe to be a lack of accountability on MR's part. I believe if MR accepts a reservation, regardless of status, they are responsible for "making things right" by that customer if they can't comply. No more. No less. Otherwise why bother making a reservation with anyone?

You'll also notice I didn't state that I thought they owed him some outrageous or minimal amount of compensation, I left that to more experienced minds like yourself.

What would you do if you showed up for an airline reservation and the airline said "Sorry, we have no seat for you", would you expect compensation?
</font>
I'll answer you last question first. All airlines have a contract of carriage that states what their policy is in this situation. They live by it. Just try to get Delta to do anything above and beyond what their rules say. That happens to be one of the many reason why I fly US, I like their poilcies in this area much better than DL's. It actually happened to me twice this last year and it would not have mattered what I expected to receive, the contract is all they are going give me.

In regards to Marriott, I have been on the receiving end of this situation exactly once in 15 years. The only other hotel within 75 miles that was not booked was a dump (and I mean dump) next door called a Motel 6. My flight was delayed and I did not get to the hotel until 1:30AM and there was a huge convention in town. Was a Motel 6 at 39.95 a night comparible to a 179.95 a night Marriott. No. Was there anything else they could do?. No. Did they pony up the certificates (and yes they were good world wide) and the $200.00 on the spot? Yes. Did they screw up? Yes. Did I tell give my employer the $200.00 they gave me? No. Did I use the free nights while traveling on business? No. Did they treat me like a GM should have been treated? No and I did not enjoy my stay in the Motel 6. Did they honor the guarantee? Yes. What more should they have done?

If you travel this happens. Will it effect how he will feel about Marriott vs Hilton? I am quite sure it will. Is he entitled to more than the guarantee? Absolutely not. Should they make every effort to make him happy? I sure hope they do as they have a chance to win over an elite member from the competition.

Let's see what they do before we jump all over Marriott. Ok?

Novagolf, I think at this point we have more than a passing interest in how this is resolved. It might even help your cause if you take the manager to the computer in the business center and show him how famous he is. Let us know how it turns out.

[This message has been edited by longing4piedmont because I don't type well when I'm excited. Actually, I don't type well at all, and I can't spell cat backwards!(edited Jan 22, 2004).]

Old Jan 22, 2004, 7:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
Marriott's policy for someone without status is to pay for the guests room & tax at another comparible hotel, pay for 1 long distance phone call to let family/associates know the guests where-abouts, if the guest is a member of MR then they are to be automatically awarded the # of points/night credit they would have received if they had not been bumped, anything above or different from this must be negotiated</font>

Thanks for the info. I thought that was what it was, but I've learned you don't post on flyertalk unless you are fairly sure that you have the facts right.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
Marriott's policy for someone without status is to pay for the guests room & tax at another comparible hotel, pay for 1 long distance phone call to let family/associates know the guests where-abouts, if the guest is a member of MR then they are to be automatically awarded the # of points/night credit they would have received if they had not been bumped, anything above or different from this must be negotiated</font>
Thanks socrates, a voice from the source is always the best. My point is only that if the guest can be satified under the T & Cs, that's great. But if not, maybe if something more can be done, over and above (even minimally), to keep the guest happy, there's nothing wrong with that. But regardless, it shouldn't be "This is what you deserve and nothing more". It is a customer service business, no?

Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:44 pm

Hi guys....

I didn't realize my question would generate a 21 post thread :-)

I emailed the manager and requested a comp 3 night stay at a Renaissance for a stay in LA in March. I used many of the comments made on this thread to draft my letter. I will post the details of the response when I get it.

Thanks again for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.