Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I would say that room was 'unsellable', and therefore they should really honour the ultimate reservation guarantee. That is, comp the room + 10 to 20k pts.

It's annoying to have to go through all this. I might consider other hotels when we are going to SF next Spring.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I've had this happen at a CY in the SFBay area. Late check-in, got to the room and was a mess. Turned around and back to the front desk, didn't even take time to inventory all the issues, the room was unacceptable.

Fortunately, there was another room available. Too many FDCs will say anything to excuse the situation or get the guest to accept what they say as being true. As suggested, I'd call Marriott and find out availability myself, or more likely call Hilton or SPG...

Problems will happen, it's how they get handled that show who's good.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
And how the FDC handled this situation reflects poorly on this property.

Cheers.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:09 pm

I appreciate your responses. Apologize for my post being long. I only mentioned being Gold Member to legitimize by post and to show how loyal customers are treated. This type of crazy stuff only happens on comedy skits or something. A kitchen help making your bed? I did call the Elite line and they did not offer any solutions. They also did not inform me that other hotels were available.

The front desk personnel would not even pickup the phone when I dialed from the room. Going to the front desk would have resulted in a very tense situation- to avoid confrontation I elected not to go there.

In the end my goal was to point out the "gimmick" the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee is. I do not reasonably see how a unserviced room is equivalent to providing a room. Yes mistakes happen but the hotel did not make a full faith effort to rectify the problem. No one was sent to clean the bathroom during the entire stay. This alone speak volumes about the property.

I am content of other people become aware of the condition of this property and this spares them a similar experience. SF is an amazing city with lots to do - best to avoid ruining a trip by staying at this sub-grade property.

Last edited by TexasDoc; Oct 28, 2011 at 6:18 pm
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TexasDoc
The front desk personnel would not even pickup the phone when I dialed from the room. Going to the front desk would have resulted in a very tense situation- to avoid confrontation I elected not to go there.
That's probably because the front desk staff were very busy. In my experience, a face-to-face encounter is ALWAYS better than a phone call. It doesn't have to turn into a confrontation, but both you and the associate can use nonverbal cues as well as the words you say to convey your messages. In addition, it's both literally and psychologically harder for the associate to dismiss you and your concerns when you are standing right in front of them instead of being a disembodied voice.

I wasn't there, but to me this would have been simple. If I encountered the room as you described it I would have walked right back to the front desk, explained there had been a mistake and the room you went to was not acceptable. If she had claimed they were sold out and no other rooms were available, I would have gently explained that was too bad and that I would take the compensation for being walked to another hotel. FWIW, there are lots and lots of Marriott properties in that area, and even though it would have sucked to drive to one of them at that time of night, it still would have been better than putting up with an uncleaned room which obviously still upsets you.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
That's probably because the front desk staff were very busy. In my experience, a face-to-face encounter is ALWAYS better than a phone call. It doesn't have to turn into a confrontation, but both you and the associate can use nonverbal cues as well as the words you say to convey your messages. In addition, it's both literally and psychologically harder for the associate to dismiss you and your concerns when you are standing right in front of them instead of being a disembodied voice.

I wasn't there, but to me this would have been simple. If I encountered the room as you described it I would have walked right back to the front desk, explained there had been a mistake and the room you went to was not acceptable. If she had claimed they were sold out and no other rooms were available, I would have gently explained that was too bad and that I would take the compensation for being walked to another hotel. FWIW, there are lots and lots of Marriott properties in that area, and even though it would have sucked to drive to one of them at that time of night, it still would have been better than putting up with an uncleaned room which obviously still upsets you.
Great advice. I would add some as well, but the OPs entitlement attitude and horrible post turned me off.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Every once in a while I get a dirty room for whatever reason. Best response is definitely to immediately head back to front desk and ask for a replacement. Don't bother taking pictures.

On the other hand, sometimes I return to my room after a day of work and find it hasn't been serviced, in which case I've let the kitchen guy or whoever is around do the minimal job, at least getting my bed made and the towels replaced. Although they're usually not as good as housekeeping, it's my own mess and not some stranger's.

I'm usually nice, but insistent, and don't ask for compensation in these cases. The result is that they usually act apologetic, rather than defensive, and offer me something like a free meal or 10k points. Mistakes happen.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: Several dozen
I'm seeing the Marriott VISA 50,000 bonus points offer on Flyertalk right now. Does anyone know if that is enough points to get a clean room at a Marriott property or should I pass on that offer?

I'm scheduled to stay in a Marriott next month and will certainly raise hell if any Marriott property ever tries to pawn a dirty room off on me!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by TexasDoc
I appreciate your responses. Apologize for my post being long. I only mentioned being Gold Member to legitimize by post and to show how loyal customers are treated. This type of crazy stuff only happens on comedy skits or something. A kitchen help making your bed? I did call the Elite line and they did not offer any solutions. They also did not inform me that other hotels were available.

In the end my goal was to point out the "gimmick" the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee is. I do not reasonably see how a unserviced room is equivalent to providing a room. Yes mistakes happen but the hotel did not make a full faith effort to rectify the problem. No one was sent to clean the bathroom during the entire stay. This alone speak volumes about the property.

I am content of other people become aware of the condition of this property and this spares them a similar experience. SF is an amazing city with lots to do - best to avoid ruining a trip by staying at this sub-grade property.
It isn't fair to claim the URG is a gimmick based on a single experience. Rather what happened is that somebody made a mistake and gave you a room that had not been serviced. I've had this happen before at other chains and I'd be willing to bet it happens occasionally at almost all hotels. In fact this happened to me once at Le Meridien SF on an award reservation - the hotel had no more rooms so I made them call SPG and they found me a room at the St. Regis (where we received a suite that was 10x better )

The best course of action - as noted above- is to do what I do whenever I receive a room that is unacceptable for any reason, i.e. too close to elevator, ice machine, etc. Return immediately to the front desk and ask for a different room. If they can't provide one, then decide whether it is worth moving to another property. There are dozens of chain properties near SFO, and they are rarely full even when there are large conventions in SF.

Personally I would never have picked any hotel in San Bruno - you're apt to find far superior quality in Burlingame and the prices are usually comparable. But sometimes you don't have time to research or seek advice on FT...

I only have Silver status, but find Marriott treats me as well or better than other chains where I have similar status. One bad experience is upsetting, but not good reason to trash the program, particularly when MR wasn't responsible for the housekeeping failure.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman

+1.

Also, if the OP comes back to the thread again, you still can go back & edit your original post to put some paragraphs in there.

Cheers.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:59 pm

Ultimate reservation guarantee

If a Silver member is walked from a Residence inn, what rights do you have?

thanks
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:39 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Assuming your MR# is in the reservation, you should receive $100 cash plus they should pay for that night's accomodation at another hotel and if necessary provide you transportation to the hotel you are relocated to. And I do believe you can still ask for and should receive night/stay credit plus points for that night even if you are relocated to a non-Marriott hotel.

If you were a Plat you would also get 2 free night certificates as well.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01

If you were a Plat you would also get 2 free night certificates as well.
Would those 2 free nights be good at any Marriott property or only the specific hotel you were walked from? (The website isn't clear on this, and in my case, I'm unlikely to be traveling back to that city/country any time soon.)
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hard2please
Would those 2 free nights be good at any Marriott property or only the specific hotel you were walked from? (The website isn't clear on this, and in my case, I'm unlikely to be traveling back to that city/country any time soon.)
as a platinum they are good at any hotel worldwide (it's the "ultimate" award certificate if you're searching on the website)
Old May 9, 2012, 7:50 pm

Platinum Guarantee - Platinum member and got walked, now GM refusing to pay benefits

Hi guys, just trying to get some opinions on what I should do in this dilemma I'm facing.

Some facts:
-I am a Platinum member with Marriott since early 2011
-Staying at the full service Marriott in Spartanburg, SC (near Greenville)
-Currently on my THIRD 9-night stay here

Last night when I came to the front desk to check-in at 11pm, I was told by the front desk that they overbooked and I had to be walked/transferred to the Extended Stay America about 3-5 miles down the street. I get to the hotel and the lobby is closed. I end up having to wait 30 mins for someone to unlock the lobby and check me in. This hotel is absurdly not what I'm used to and I felt like I was in a scary movie the whole time, quite an awful experience!

Anyways, I called later that night at roughly 1am and expressed my frustration towards the manager working the night shift. He said I wasn't listed as Platinum in the system and apologized for walking me. I was tired and didn't want to argue anymore so I just asked to get me in the Marriott ASAP.

Today, I get a call at 4pm and I finally get a room at the hotel I originally made the reservation for (9 nights). He offers me 20,000 points and 2 alcohol vouchers for my inconvenience and I accept it.

Later today after speaking with some co-workers and researching the fact, I feel I'm entitled to the Elite Benefits Guarantee
Found here: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...s/guarantee.mi

I call Customer Care, explain the situation and they feel so too, so they speak with the manager, the GM, and supposedly come up with a resolution and offer me the $200 and 2 free night certificates.

Just now the manager calls me back and says I will not be receiving it because I was not listed as a Platinum member in their database when they decided to walk me. Keep in mind this is my THIRD stay at this hotel.

I then realize I didn't get any arrival gifts my prior 2 stays too! To make sure, I look in my past history on the website and low behold, I have no platinum arrival gift points. I use my company's website to book hotel stays with Marriott and have never experienced this issue with the other 10+ hotels I've stayed at, they all recognized my Platinum status.

Is this fair of them to not honor the benefits because of THEIR mistake? How is it my fault that I was not in the system as a Platinum member? No other hotels had this issue... whether it's on their IT system, or what not, it's clearly their fault. I should have never been walked.

I feel like I'm entitled to the $200 cash and 2 free night certificates for being walked AND another $200 ($100 each reservation) for the last 2 reservations I was not offered a Platinum Arrival Gift.

Thoughts? Is there someone higher I should complain to? The GM at this hotel clearly is trying to avoid everything and just offering 20,000 points

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading!

**** Forgot to mention that the most recent reservation I made, the one that I got walked on... the front desk made the reservation! I remember calling them and asking about available dates and she went ahead and booked it for my corporate rate. How did they not have the Platinum listed when the FRONT DESK made it????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.