Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I have visits to Bangkok in June, July, September and November and visiting the SR was one of my priorities until reading the last few weeks on this thread. The rates I see are cheaper than the SGS for example, however I stopped staying there and will probably end up at the FPBSS I know its in a different league altogether but for 3000BHT per night with platinum benefits is very good value.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, AA ExecPlat
I was interested in the residence side of the St. Regis and went through the tour. They failed to mention the 30 year land lease that they could guarantee from the start. If they did, I would have just walked away. The St. Regis agent said he forgot about mentioning the 30 year lease when I wanted to discuss price at the end of the walk around. St. Regis Bangkok is a rotting fish trying to serve it self sashimi style. If I remember correctly, the maintenance fee on the unit was ridiculous. I believe it was the same price as the monthly rental I had at the Emporium around 350,000 Baht/Month. I personally hate the long hallways they have setup in the residence to get to your bedrooms. Maybe it was 100,000 Baht/Month maintenance. I honestly don't remember because I was still in shock about the 30 year land lease and rushing to get out.

Last edited by TheFlyingPapaya; Apr 24, 2012 at 12:11 am
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TheFlyingPapaya
I was interested in the residence side of the St. Regis and went through the tour. They failed to mention the 30 year land lease that they could guarantee from the start. If they did, I would have just walked away. The St. Regis agent said he forgot about mentioning the 30 year lease when I wanted to discuss price at the end of the walk around. St. Regis Bangkok is a rotting fish trying to serve it self sashimi style. If I remember correctly, the maintenance fee on the unit was ridiculous. I believe it was the same price as the monthly rental I had at the Emporium around 350,000 Baht/Month. I personally hate the long hallways they have setup in the residence to get to your bedrooms. Maybe it was 100,000 Baht/Month maintenance. I honestly don't remember because I was still in shock about the 30 year land lease and rushing to get out.
Leasehold = Idiothold .
100,000 THB a month will get you a very nice condominium > 200 sqm in downtown Bangkok on a monthly rent basis, you can walk away from anytime you want .
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:29 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
I have made some adjustments to ensure that posts comply with the FlyerTalk TOS. Please keep the discussion professional and refrain from attacking individuals, members or hotel staff, personally or by name.

Thanks for your cooperation,
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, SPG Forum
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:07 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Mr. Selves not only was the first GM that took the time to personally welcome us at check-in, he also upgraded us many times over to an Astor suite on a 5-nights award stay. I definitely recommend this property due to the fantastic treatment we received during our stay as Platinums: the aforementioned room upgrade, no nickle & dime-ing us for extra bed and baby cot, and the best breakfast in town, IMO. Further, Mr. Selves is ever-present in the lobby days & evenings, weekdays & weekends -- if you have a problem, go ahead and chat with him about it, he is approachable and very responsive to his guests needs, as we experienced.

Yes, there are some inconsistencies in butler service and maybe also with the happy hour venue/benefits, but does this property deserve such strong worded criticism and condemnation? Although there might be legitimate gripe there, I believe most disappointments has more to do with expectations rather than how this property delivers its product.

* bolding is mine.

Photos of our stay are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7628777073793/

Last edited by yosithezet; Apr 27, 2012 at 11:55 am
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:21 pm

In response to your message above, Mr Selves is the hotel manager, not the GM.

Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:38 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I should also point out that I have stayed at the hotel, and visited many times, including a few trips to the restaurant/bar in the lobby. In every instance, I found the staff, POLITE, EXTREMELY WELL GROOMED, and PROFESSIONAL. In fact, the amount of detail that they seemed to put into their customer contact policy was impressive. That being said, teaching some Thais a service culture of St Regis type standards is riddled with complexities. I was also witness to a fair amount of fumbling by staff unsure of their duties and how they handled the customer handoff to the next department/area.

Yes, it's overpriced... and trying to pull it off as a Cat 6 is a joke. But, it is a nice hotel, in a city with much better choices ;-)

Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:01 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
Several posts which contained third party information and hearsay we removed. In an attempt to keep the flow of the thread logical some of the remaining posts have also been edited. If something appears out of place, please let us know.

In order to maintain the spirit of our community, let's continue the discussion by posting personal experiences, personal opinions based on those experiences and verifiable facts.

Regards,
yosithezet
Co-moderators, SPG Forum
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT
I happened to have stumbled on this thread last night and now am pretty concerned. Not that I believe the now removed rant per se. However, clearly there is some trouble with this property. I have a two days in Bangkok next weekend ( I have never been ) and booked at the SR. However I am strongly leaning towards canceling it. I think i would prefer to be be on the river anyway, Pen of MO ? Which has a better pool area?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:10 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by JMB2589
... I think i would prefer to be be on the river anyway, Pen of MO ? Which has a better pool area?
The proper thread for those hotels is here: Bangkok Luxury Hotels
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:20 am

my hump my hump my hump

I just sat down on a chair at the St. Regis Lobby, and now I have three rashes on my left derriere.

Anyone else have this experience before?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
For what its worth, the St Regis Bangkok has made it to the Conde Nest Traveler's Best Hotels of 2012 list.

http://www.cntraveler.com/hot-list/2...2012#slide=101
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
right............... who wrote this review!?

....the lobby is crowded in the afternoons with beautiful socialites taking tea (but) ......why stay indoors?

Everything works.............. but opposite of those guests that have stayed here

Elegant but sterile (but) Rooms are efficient and soothing

Originally Posted by alanslegal
For what its worth, the St Regis Bangkok has made it to the Conde Nest Traveler's Best Hotels of 2012 list.

Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal

I'd say it's not worth much!

Conde Nast Traveller magazine is spoken of with scornful derision by the true luxury hotel connoisseurs - particularly the ones who frequent the FlyerTalk Luxury Hotels forum.

I can see why. I doubt that reviewer even stayed in the hotel. They could nearly have written that review just from looking at the photos on the website.

That review completely missed the best feature of the St Regis Bangkok (the pool area) and the worst feature (the wide and varied array of barely edible food and completely incompetent F&B service).

Also I wonder how it was ranked "one flame out of three", and still ended up on the "Hot List 2012"?

Last edited by ajca; Apr 30, 2012 at 5:21 am
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by ajca
Also I wonder how it was ranked "one flame out of three", and still ended up on the "Hot List 2012"?
it was #101 of 123, wasn't it? Nothing to get too excited about.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.