Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Hotel Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Occupancy Policy

Due to fire safety and security concerns, only registered hotel guests are allowed in guest rooms from 10pm to 8am. From 8am to 10pm, the maximum occupancy—including visitors (non-registered guests) and registered guests—for each room is as follows:
  • Wonderful, Fabulous and Spectacular Rooms: 5 adults
    • Cool Corner Room: 8 adults
      • Marvelous and Fantastic Suites: 10 adults
        • WOW Suite: 20 adults
          • Extremely WOW Suite: 30 adults
Print Wikipost

W Hotel Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Spent another 5 nights here, bringing the total to over 70 nights since opening. Got upgraded to Marvelous suite from the second night on. Had some minor service issues with the front desk manager, but we still feel like part of the W Hotel Taipei family. Upon check in, I was given a very nice luggage tag for my 20th stay (already? I replied). The front desk "talents" replied; if not 20th stay, it is close. Anyhow, the service at Kitchen table is superb. They have come a long way since opening. I have enjoyed talking to all the personnel (except the front desk manager) at this fabulous hotel. Even though we were too busy to partake in the platinum/gold SPG happy hour, I did confirm that the happy hour is still happening between 5 to 7 pm nightly. It would be interesting to see how the newly opened Mandarin Oriental Taipei would impact W Taipei.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sink
It would be interesting to see how the newly opened Mandarin Oriental Taipei would impact W Taipei.
The MO is much more expensive than W and certainly more exclusive.

I am not a big fan of W Taipei. I do prefer the Regent for location and atmosphere, even if interior design is more classic (but cannot really say that W Taipei is such innovative by the design).
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Thumbs up A short review.

Recently completed a stay at the W Taipei. It was a short one, as I was just using TPE as a convenient stopover to rest for a few days after a business trip to HKG.

[Before I continue, anyone here can give good advice as to what image hosting site you'd recommend for photo attachments to FlyerTalk?]

ARRIVAL
My bag didn't make it on my HKG-TPE flight, unfortunately (it was complicated, so I really don't blame the carrier). As such, I went though immigration and customs with only a small day bag, no carry on luggage otherwise. Was planning to take a taxi to the W Taipei. If you check out the W hotel's website, you will see that they really have limited information on how to get from TPE to the hotel. I thought I would have luggage, so didn't want to experiment. In the end, as I didn't have luggage, I decided to try the public transport system.

I took a bus to the HSR station (high speed rail) at Taoyuan, then changed for the HSR to Taipei City, and then changed onto the subway. Long story short, didn't take too long (~1 hour if you are lucky and don't have to wait for anything), but lots of transits. Another option would be to take the bus from TPE that goes directly to "Taipei City Hall". The terminus is inside a shopping mall, and the W is built on top of the very same shopping mall. That shopping mall is also an exit for the City Hall subway station.

Once I got to the W Taipei (without luggage), I was welcomed at the check in desk. Excellent experience. No queue. And once all the formalities were over with, the check in staff quickly noticed I had no luggage and asked whether I had a luggage mishap. When I told her what happened, she asked me for the receipt (given to you at the airport by ground staff), and said she would help us trace and try to expedite luggage delivery, so we could enjoy the day in Taipei and not worry about the luggage. The lady asked me whether I would prefer it to be delivered directly to my room, or whether they should leave me a message, in case the bag got in very late (e.g. past midnight), so I didn't need to be disturbed in the night. I preferred immediate delivery and that was noted.

THE ROOM
Booked the lowest rate, but got upgraded with SPG status. Had a high floor room as requested, with fabulous views. The room design is another place where this hotel shines. Modern, but not uncomfortably so. Pleasing and relaxing. Great for a vacation.

The entrance lights come on immediately when a sensor detects opening of the main door, so you can be environmentally-friendly and switch off the master switch when you leave your room, and not have to worry about entering a dark room. To the left is a spacious wardrobe with luggage rack, to the right a sliding door to the bathroom.

The bathroom itself was very spacious, bathtub next to a special wall that can be pushed open as panels allowing view straight into the room and out the window (if you are alone/staying with your partner), and just opens up the bathroom so much. All the necessary accessories (including toothbrush, shaver, hairdryer, all the bath gels, salts, shampoo, conditioner [Bliss branded], and also some moisturizer and facial cleanser, makeup remover, and so forth). 2 bottles of water available for brushing teeth (though I really don't mind using tap for that in most places). Shower was large enough with rainshower and a handheld portion for those who inexplicably prefer them. Separate loo with its own privacy door, one of those technologically-advanced bidet toilets, warmed, auto-flush, auto open and closing the lid (you could manually do that too).

The room had a large desk with connector ports for iPods, aux audio, freestyle adapting sockets, HDMI input (cable available, but if you take it away, they charge you), DVD player, TV screen, ?Bose surround sound with separate bass system. Minibar was standard. Bedside table huge, with another 2 bottles of water available for consumption. Lights all individually controlled, and, of special note, when all the lights are on, the room is adequately illuminated, so you can work in there, anywhere, without issue. Huge positive here.

By the window, there is "play platform", as they call it. Really, it is a platform with a comfortable mattress, a thin blanket, cushions and back rest. So you can use it as a lounge and stare out the window. If you really wanted to, you could fit a third person in the room.

The window had privacy shades and drapes, electronically controlled from bedside panel. Shades allowed light into the room, but had enough privacy (I tried looking into another room with shades down, and it does block everything, so no need to worry about privacy when on that platform). Drapes excellent, kept out the morning sun 99%.

Then the gripe would be that the room was poorly oriented. If I sat on the platform the "right way round" (i.e. with the back resting on the backrest), I would be facing other rooms. But if I sat with my feet facing the backrest, I would have excellent views of the city. Hm...

Welcome amenity was waiting in the room, in the form of bread and cheese (?!). But I got another message that they had another "welcome amenity" prepared for me. Perplexed and curious as I was, I declined the additional amenity, as I wasn't hungry.

FOOD/DRINKS
The Kitchen Table for breakfast - excellent service and spread. Choice was great, taste was great, decor was great. Views of the city, Taipei 101 and the pool depending on where you sat.

Woobar had excellent vibe and seemed really popular for locals. A little crowded hence, but still fun. Loud music. Drinks were NOT overpriced, surprisingly.

STAFF
My other interaction with the staff other than the check in agent was also very positive. Turndown service lady was very friendly and polite. I had my luggage delivered to me later on my first night by a Whatever/Whenever staff. Everyone was friendly, helpful and smiling all the time... Strange.

I did notice that this particular hotel had a larger-than-expected number of Caucasian-looking staff. I saw them at the Whatever/Whenever desk, at the Kitchen Table, and also at check-in. Not a problem, but I just found it strange, because these aren't usually expatriate jobs, and I haven't seen so many in other hotels. I usually assume that these chain hotels import some management staff, and that was it. So I guess you could apply to be an expatriate concierge staff.

DEPARTURE
Quick, hassle-free. The Whatever/Whenever staff manning the taxi stand flagged one down for me, and told me it was flat rate NTD1200 to the airport.

SUMMARY
All-in-all, excellent stay, one of the best hotel experiences so far between the staff and room design. Location excellent (shopping mall had plenty of other food options for those wishing to experiment; Taipei 101 walking distance; subway station (City Hall) at basement).

Negatives were few. One of the main ones was the lighting in the first set of elevators from the first floor to the check in desk on the 10th. I don't have epilepsy, luckily, but it did make me dizzy and nauseous. The other set of elevators that take you up to the rooms were much better. Oh, and also the room orientation thing mentioned above.

Last edited by jdtravels; Jun 8, 2014 at 11:20 pm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by jdtravels
[Before I continue, anyone here can give good advice as to what image hosting site you'd recommend for photo attachments to FlyerTalk?]
I use postimage.org, it's simple and free.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:49 am

Recent W Taipei Stay

Just had a two-week stay at the W. Then left Taipei for a few days, and upon returning, stayed at the Le Meridien due to the W being booked full. Thoughts on the LM in a later post.

I'm SPG Plat and have stayed at the W for well over 30 nights in the past few months and don't feel I get any recognition from staff--not that I expect or want to be addressed by name or anything like that, but one of the commenters here mentioned that his preferences, such as the time he liked to have his room "styled," were noted. I've never experienced this sort of thing. I don't usually get upgraded to the Marvelous Suite either, usually it's just the Cool Corner Room. I did ask for an upgrade to a suite for part of this past stay and was obliged.

Overall, I enjoy my stays at the W TP but some thoughts:
-Too much colored perspex. I think the interiors are already a bit dated.
-Housekeeping doesn't do the best job. Found half a cookie in the shag carpet in the suite's bedroom upon arrival. Floor beneath the sliding doors (when open) was very dusty. Complimentary Fiji waters for SPG Gold & Plat were not replenished daily. I didn't get the gummy bears with turndown every night.
-Needs another pool. The Wet Deck was closed for 3-4 days to prepare for a party, with the pool closed the day of. I did see a few people swimming while workers were installing the set in the days leading up to the party, but it's kind of awkward.
-Toilets in the suites seem to be older models. It has the bidet and warming functions, but no automatic lid-opening or flushing. Sink in the half bath is very poor design--tiny with the faucet at one corner--water ends up all over counter and floor.
-I may be a bit too old to enjoy the vibe. The hostesses at WooBar in the evening in their tight/short black outfits is a bit much. The loud music welcoming you back at he entrance in the evenings is trying too hard. I guess I'd prefer more of a normal hotel environment to the party atmosphere (Am I in the wrong hotel brand? Haha).
-Encountered many groups of young people who appeared to be continuing their prom celebrations at the hotel. When returning to my room one night I saw several young men waiting outside the door of the biggest suite on the floor (according to the floorplan on the back of my room door). It was obvious they were planning to party in that room. Interestingly, the minimum check-in age for this hotel is 20.
-The ground floor waiting area should be the lobby. The lobby is probably on the 10th floor just to make the necessary elevator switch to reach the guestrooms more apparent.
-Breakfast is too crowded unless you go ten minutes before it ends.
-Since Starwood sold their stake in Bliss back in 2010, isn't it about time they switched brand of toiletries? With all my nights at the W, I'm pretty tired of that lemon sage scent. The shampoo and conditioner don't work too well for me either.

Last edited by amongstclouds; Jun 16, 2014 at 1:56 am
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by amongstclouds
-Since Starwood sold their stake in Bliss back in 2010, isn't it about time they switched brand of toiletries? With all my nights at the W, I'm pretty tired of that lemon sage scent. The shampoo and conditioner don't work too well for me either.
It's more like why always Lemon Sage? There're so many nice flavours from Bliss.

For some reason I think Lemon sage is an acquired taste. Some really love it and some really hated it (some even commented that it smells from car wash to floor cleaner to public toilets - you can google)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by LuisHK
It's more like why always Lemon Sage? There're so many nice flavours from Bliss.
I don't think the sinkside six is available in anything else than Lemon + Sage.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
The hostesses at WooBar in the evening in their tight/short black outfits is a bit much.
And they look so bored (and tired by standing and doing quite nothing) that, I am afraid, they participate in the feeling of fake fun/cool attitude (which may be a characteristic of most W hotels?)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Just had a two-week stay at the W.
Overall, I enjoy my stays at the W TP but some thoughts:
-Too much colored perspex.
-Housekeeping doesn't do the best job.
-Needs another pool.
-Toilets in the suites seem to be older models.
-I may be a bit too old to enjoy the vibe.
-Encountered many groups of young people who appeared to be continuing their prom celebrations at the hotel.
-The ground floor waiting area should be the lobby. The lobby is probably on the 10th floor just to make the necessary elevator switch to reach the guestrooms more apparent.
-Breakfast is too crowded unless you go ten minutes before it ends.
-Since Starwood sold their stake in Bliss back in 2010, isn't it about time they switched brand of toiletries?
Excellent and detailed review. ^
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75
And they look so bored (and tired by standing and doing quite nothing) that, I am afraid, they participate in the feeling of fake fun/cool attitude (which may be a characteristic of most W hotels?)
I have spoken to one of them while I was there in Jan 2013, she was quite enthusiastic. Not sure if she works there anymore.

Maybe I should go there and find a girlfriend? I know my mom would be happy cause she's Taiwanese.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I have spoken to one of them while I was there in Jan 2013, she was quite enthusiastic. Not sure if she works there anymore.

Maybe I should go there and find a girlfriend? I know my mom would be happy cause she's Taiwanese.
The staff I met then were fairly enthusiastic as well - however given that sort of lighting it's really hard not to fight with sleepiness if you don't have much to do....
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:08 am

I should be in Taipei around mid august and may do 1 night at the Westin, W, or Le Meridien, depending on the rates/points/c&p.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:57 pm

I would like to stay in W Taipei but feeling the rate is very expensive, more than 350us$
Any suggestion to get a cheap rate and I 'd like to use SNA for a suite room
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by jqihe862
I would like to stay in W Taipei but feeling the rate is very expensive, more than 350us$
Any suggestion to get a cheap rate and I 'd like to use SNA for a suite room
You can try a BRG rate and get 10% discount or a SPG50 rate if it's during peak period. Either way, it will still be expensive. Maybe try an award stay using points or C&P?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
You can try a BRG rate and get 10% discount or a SPG50 rate if it's during peak period. Either way, it will still be expensive. Maybe try an award stay using points or C&P?
I am trying to get a BRG rate, but looks difficult to find one.
Have you ever get a BRG rate before?
and I don't get the promotion of stay 4 for 3 CAT6 free night.
C+P is expensive for CAT6 hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.