Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Liberty Hotel Boston [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liberty Hotel Boston [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I had a stay a few weeks ago, and feel almost exactly the same. My first stay here was perfect and I was really looking forward to coming back, but after my experience with the front desk and management on my last trip I'm not sure I'll be back.

Long story, but I convinced my company to move our group to this hotel for an annual event we have in Boston. Nothing huge, I think we had 7 rooms. The rates were prepaid, but because of the snow storm only two of us were able to make it in. My coworker arrived before me and explained the situation. They wouldn't refund the rooms (which is understandable since they were prepaid) so I told my coworker not to cancel them if they wouldn't refund them and then at least maybe we could get some connecting rooms to have more room to work and then we'd also at least get some points and night credits out of them. I arrived a couple hours later and tried to check into the other rooms and I was told they were all cancelled and there was nothing they could do to reinstate them even though they still had rooms available at that time. I said they were cancelled by mistake and since they were prepaid I would like to reinstate them. There wasn't a manager on duty so I said I'd check back. I came back that night and was then told they couldn't reinstate the rooms because they were now completely sold out. I followed up with a pretty nice e-mail laying out the facts, and requesting that they refund the rooms that were resold. I received a response that they would refund one room as a one-time courtesy. Not the end of the world, but based on the rates I saw that afternoon, they probably made at least an extra $2,000 by reselling those rooms so I couldn't help but feeling like they took advantage of us and a snowstorm to earn an extra buck.
sounds sleazy. if you contact corporate, you may have some luck especially if the rooms were re-sold. just another reason i like rates that you can cancel up until like 6pm the same day as check-in. can't always get that but nice to have.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I am confused why the whole stay should be comped ... some issues but why should everything be free? ... and it is fairly par for the course for staff to say GM not available (they should say that rather than outright lie) but the GM should not be called to fix every little problem. That is what other staff members are for.

I personally have found when you start demanding/ asking for free things hotels are less likely to help. They consider those freebie wanters to be troublesome guests and not worth the time.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I had a stay a few weeks ago, and feel almost exactly the same. My first stay here was perfect and I was really looking forward to coming back, but after my experience with the front desk and management on my last trip I'm not sure I'll be back.

Long story, but I convinced my company to move our group to this hotel for an annual event we have in Boston. Nothing huge, I think we had 7 rooms. The rates were prepaid, but because of the snow storm only two of us were able to make it in. My coworker arrived before me and explained the situation. They wouldn't refund the rooms (which is understandable since they were prepaid) so I told my coworker not to cancel them if they wouldn't refund them and then at least maybe we could get some connecting rooms to have more room to work and then we'd also at least get some points and night credits out of them. I arrived a couple hours later and tried to check into the other rooms and I was told they were all cancelled and there was nothing they could do to reinstate them even though they still had rooms available at that time. I said they were cancelled by mistake and since they were prepaid I would like to reinstate them. There wasn't a manager on duty so I said I'd check back. I came back that night and was then told they couldn't reinstate the rooms because they were now completely sold out. I followed up with a pretty nice e-mail laying out the facts, and requesting that they refund the rooms that were resold. I received a response that they would refund one room as a one-time courtesy. Not the end of the world, but based on the rates I saw that afternoon, they probably made at least an extra $2,000 by reselling those rooms so I couldn't help but feeling like they took advantage of us and a snowstorm to earn an extra buck.
This comes up from time to time. If the rooms are resold, then the person who originally paid for them should receive a refund. They shouldn't be able to sell a room twice because of a prepay no-show.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:28 am

Just noticed that this hotel charges resort.. no wait, 'facility' fees to the tune of $20 + 17% tax per day...

Apparently this charge is mandatory because of the following things you get:

◦Wireless Internet Access
◦24-Hour Fitness Facility with Chilled Towels and Fresh Apples
◦Sparkling Wine Welcome Beverage at Check In
◦Morning Coffee Station in Lobby
◦Two Bottles of Water Replenished Daily

◦Priority Access to Guest-Only Catwalk lounge, and Alibi Bar
◦Daily Newspapers in Lobby
◦Fresh Apples in Lobby
◦Bicycle Rental (seasonal)
◦Kayak Rental (seasonal)
◦Shoe Shine Service

not a fan of these 'hidden' costs that you only get to find out about right at the end before you click "confirm reservation". whether or not it's considered "fair", there's no doubt that it's inconvenient to have to go through those extra clicks to find out the true cost of a night's stay...

Last edited by jaejaez; Apr 20, 2017 at 6:38 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Just noticed that this hotel charges resort.. no wait, 'facility' fees to the tune of $20 + 17% tax per day...

◦Fresh Apples in Lobby
◦Kayak Rental (seasonal)
◦Shoe Shine Service

not a fan of these 'hidden' costs that you only get to find out about right at the end before you click "confirm reservation". whether or not it's considered "fair", there's no doubt that it's inconvenient to have to go through those extra clicks to find out the true cost of a night's stay...
I really liked this hotel for the year+ that I stayed there every week, but every thing above was included in the base rate at that point (I last stayed in June 2015). Cash grab is my interpretation.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jaejaez

◦Fresh Apples in Lobby
◦Kayak Rental (seasonal)
◦Shoe Shine Service

This, combined with the lying incident upthread, removes this property from my list of options in Boston. Of course, I rarely have occasion to stay in a hotel in Boston, but I have had occasions on which to recommend hotels to friends/business associates who are visiting.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
This, combined with the lying incident upthread, removes this property from my list of options in Boston. Of course, I rarely have occasion to stay in a hotel in Boston, but I have had occasions on which to recommend hotels to friends/business associates who are visiting.
I was about to do the same thing but then the rates of Liberty are on par with that of Westin Copley, Sheraton and the W Boston in July

If for a similar rate (~20 bux difference) wouldn't it make more sense to stay at the Liberty over the likes of W or Sheraton? The Westin Copley place is actually more expensive than the Liberty for the dates I'm looking at (mid July)...

They really need more hotel rooms in Boston..
Old May 9, 2017, 6:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Anyone been here recently who can comment on the parking situation? The property looks like it wants $52 for overnight valet parking -- wondering if there are cheaper options nearby (ideally would love in/out privileges).

Will be there in 2 weeks. Have an SNA requested and there are 2 suites left, but not really counting on it since it's peak/graduation season.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by bj27
Anyone been here recently who can comment on the parking situation? The property looks like it wants $52 for overnight valet parking -- wondering if there are cheaper options nearby (ideally would love in/out privileges).

Will be there in 2 weeks. Have an SNA requested and there are 2 suites left, but not really counting on it since it's peak/graduation season.
when i stayed, there weren't really alternatives. $50+ for parking per night was a bummer. the hotel staff was incompetent and rude. i'd just stay elsewhere.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist

The Mass General garage is next door, not sure what it costs or hours are though.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:26 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
In/Out privileges are rare at Boston hotels. We had it at the Boston Harbor hotel a few years back, but it wouldn't surprise me if that is no longer true.

try boston.bestparking.com or Spothero to find nearby alternatives at a better price.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT LIFE, SPG Platinum, LHW LC, Fairmont PC
Stayed at the Liberty last week and highly recommend. Had a wonderful stay, upgraded to a water view room, and breakfast room service arrived in under 15 min. Lots of historical details and loved the theme of the old jail, with safes as night stands, keys for wall decor, and "solitary" tags for the Do Not Disturb. The lobby can get busy and in these cases there was some slower service. Front desk was pleasant and helpful, CLINK restaurant personnel were friendly but not overly attentive, and bell/valet guys were super helpful - even getting me a hotel sedan for a trip to the burbs. And at a rate of $230/night, it was a steal as the W was asking $568! Would definitely stay at the Liberty again.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by NittanyFlyer
Stayed at the Liberty last week and highly recommend. Had a wonderful stay, upgraded to a water view room, and breakfast room service arrived in under 15 min. Lots of historical details and loved the theme of the old jail, with safes as night stands, keys for wall decor, and "solitary" tags for the Do Not Disturb. The lobby can get busy and in these cases there was some slower service. Front desk was pleasant and helpful, CLINK restaurant personnel were friendly but not overly attentive, and bell/valet guys were super helpful - even getting me a hotel sedan for a trip to the burbs. And at a rate of $230/night, it was a steal as the W was asking $568! Would definitely stay at the Liberty again.
Is the plat breakfast still offered at SCAMPO downstairs?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
I didn't actually end up staying here as our SNA did not clear so we cancelled and moved to the Residence Inn Seaport (which we HIGHLY recommend... nicest RI I've ever stayed at, minus the standard Sysco breakfast which is to be expected at RIs).

On another note, we did a duck tour of Boston and the tour guide mentioned "Liberty Hotel blah blah used to be a jail blah blah rates start at $700 a night." I laughed hysterically and wondered where this fellow got his rates.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:10 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I didn't actually end up staying here as our SNA did not clear so we cancelled and moved to the Residence Inn Seaport (which we HIGHLY recommend... nicest RI I've ever stayed at, minus the standard Sysco breakfast which is to be expected at RIs).

On another note, we did a duck tour of Boston and the tour guide mentioned "Liberty Hotel blah blah used to be a jail blah blah rates start at $700 a night." I laughed hysterically and wondered where this fellow got his rates.
When the two choices are The Liberty, a luxury category hotel, and the RI Seaport, not even close to a better service hotel, I think it's fair to say that the choice is quite an unusual one. Apples to oranges if ever I saw it.

Also, SNAs rarely will clear at The Liberty since there are so few suites overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.