Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Leicester Square, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sphinx
After one horrendous stay there last year, I decided not to return. The Meridien isn't that great either. London is one place where I now prefer to stay in non-SPG properties, for example the Sofitel or the IC Westminster.
Actually I had ok experience at the Le meridien problem is that the bathroom are too old and they don't use bliss products. I stayed at tr Sofitel before it was ok
Old May 27, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Is the rate of 199.33 GBP/night a good rate here? (all taxes and fees included)

Should I take it?

has anyone got lower rate than this before?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Is the rate of 199.33 GBP/night a good rate here? (all taxes and fees included)

Should I take it?

has anyone got lower rate than this before?

Thanks in advance.
That is a pretty decent rate but that doesn't change the fact that this is a fundamentally flawed property which is a better bar/club/restaurant than it is a hotel.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Where are you seeing GBP 199 per night? I would take it in a heartbeat. Location is unbeatable.
Old May 28, 2013, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by rooivalk
Where are you seeing GBP 199 per night? I would take it in a heartbeat. Location is unbeatable.
I got the rate of 164.07 GBP/night at le meridien piccadilly through brg claim. it's flexible rate with breakfast.

I saw the rate of 199.33 GBP/night at w london on spg.com. It's prepaid rate, non-cancellable and non-refundable.

should i switch my booking to w london? is it worth to pay the extra (35.26 GBP/night)?

both hotels are centrally located. Am i right?
Old May 28, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
I got the rate of 164.07 GBP/night at le meridien piccadilly through brg claim. it's flexible rate with breakfast.

I saw the rate of 199.33 GBP/night at w london on spg.com. It's prepaid rate, non-cancellable and non-refundable.

should i switch my booking to w london? is it worth to pay the extra (35.26 GBP/night)?

I would definitely go for the Meridien.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS

Yes both hotels are located in central. You can walk between the two, but with luggage, not sure I would. The LM has a lounge if you have access to it, the W does not.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: DL - DM || CX - Diamond || Hilton - Silver || SPG - P100
Thumbs down

I guess I should have read more reviews before I visited. Learn from my mistake and avoid this hotel (read lots of the reviews that point out shortcomings). I should state that I stay in hotels more than 150 nights a year, I am an SPG Platinum, and the W Hotel is one of my favorite places to stay. So for me to say avoid this property, I really mean it

The staff - as many folks have already pointed out, the staff is prickly and unfriendly. I usually find the W Staff a bit elitist, but I usually find that amusing. Not here: no welcome, no how are you doing, no thanks for being a Platinum. There is sometimes a door man, but he was busy talking to one of his friends when I checked in and asked over his shoulder need any help as I was getting on the elevator. There was also no doorman in the morning to help me call a taxi, it is a small thing, but usually that is why I stay in premium hotels (such as the W). I tried to talk to the Concierge to see about hosting a private party, and also about other things to do in the city, but I got the brush off so I decided to host the event some place else.

The room No upgrade, no problem; I find that I only get upgrades on a few properties where I stay often (even with P100 status). This is easily one of the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in. I should say that I spend more than half my year in Asia / Southeast Asia so I know small rooms. The dcor in the room is pretty standard W, and the beds are the same as always. But there is a large deep shag Area rug (which is more than half the room) and it is quite dirty. Now when I say dirty, I mean there is bits of dirt and what I think are twigs actually on the carpet. The shower / toilet is comical and just like another poster the water from the shower spread under the door into the room. There is an all-purpose bench / sink / desk thing which isnt terrible, but they put a beauty mirror on the end since your sink is in the middle of your room. My mirror was only semi screwed on and broke the instant I touched it. I did ask to switch to a different room, but they said they were booked (although they showed availability online reference the staff section above).

The location the location is very good. Its in the middle of things in London, but there are a lot of other decent hotels within a few blocks and at a better price. I consider it to be as well positioned as most other W properties, although not as good as NYC, Boston or Hong Kong.

The Food Spice Market is (as others have said) probably the best thing about the hotel. Being based out of Asia, I though the food was solid, but not amazing. But I consider myself a foodie, and I love street food from all over the world. The cold breakfast was fine and enjoyable. It is nowhere near as good as the Platinum Breakfast at the W Hong Kong.

The conclusion I generally stay with SPG hotels because I expect a certain level of quality and consistency with the staff. But 4 of my last 6 experiences have been flat out terrible, even when staying at their premium properties. Like lots of other posters, I suggest you find a different hotel if you are planning to visit London.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:48 pm

I just wonder then why you have stayed there 6 times with frustration? What made you choose that property? Location or food ?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL - DM || CX - Diamond || Hilton - Silver || SPG - P100
Originally Posted by cozysuite
I just wonder then why you have stayed there 6 times with frustration? What made you choose that property? Location or food ?
this is my first stay at this property. 4 of my last 6 stays at SPG properties have been poor: Paris, Panama City, London, NYC. There are definitely good hotels with SPG in all of those cities, but I was at a different property for one specific reason or another. For instance, when I have stayed at the LHR Sheraton (either one of them) I have been satisfied, but I needed to be downtown for meetings so I tried the W.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by druid
For instance, when I have stayed at the LHR Sheraton (either one of them) I have been satisfied, but I needed to be downtown for meetings so I tried the W.

Sorry for misunderstanding. Sheraton Heathrow would be better choice than W London especially when cost is taken into an account. ^
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:28 am

found the rate of 192.67 GBP/night tax included on spg.com

is this rate good enough?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:38 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by cozysuite
If you're asking me, it's because it was great the first two or three times and then the cracks started to show. I like the location, I like the accessibility to other places, etc..

Now it's not even worth considering.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Currently in a Wow Suite on a points stay (which I see happens but not frequently and not reported for some time). Great room with a great view of Leicester Square

Jeff
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jswong
Currently in a Wow Suite on a points stay (which I see happens but not frequently and not reported for some time). Great room with a great view of Leicester Square

Jeff
Oddly all Starwood Central London Properties seem to be relatively lightly occupied at the moment given the room rates I am seeing. It is a different story over at Heathrow where room rates are relatively high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.