Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Element Times Square West, New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:00 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
About the elevators.

Last time I was here for a long time (4 weeks in 2011), the elevators would pick me up quickly in the morning on a high 3X floor and often be full by the time we got below 10 or 15. That’s no longer the case. Nowadays, it seems like the elevators follow a fairer algorithm, where everyone wait about the same time. During morning rush hour (about 8-9.30), even on a high 3X floor, I watched a number of elevators go by before I would get picked up in the mornings. The hotel folks also told me that once a elevator reaches a certain weight limit, they are considered full and go direct to where people want to be dropped off.

The evening situation has improved. I never had to wait for an elevator going up, even with a large three wheel stroller.

Here’s my tip for future travelers: Given the fair scheduling of elevators, the quickest way to get down in the morning is to take the firestairs to an adjacent floor where people are already waiting.

My observation aren’t particularly scientific, but I think there’s been an improvement.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I'm here now and the elevators aren't nearly as fixed as you say. I'm in the second of two M-F stays. Last week, I was on 14 and watched as elevators repeatedly passed in both directions. Before I left last week, I requested a high floor this week and they replied that they'd give me one. So, this week I'm on 20, which is worse because it's further to walk down in desperation in the morning. I e-mailed and an assistant GM left a message on my room phone and hasn't responded to my return call.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EricH
I'm here now and the elevators aren't nearly as fixed as you say. I'm in the second of two M-F stays. Last week, I was on 14 and watched as elevators repeatedly passed in both directions. Before I left last week, I requested a high floor this week and they replied that they'd give me one. So, this week I'm on 20, which is worse because it's further to walk down in desperation in the morning. I e-mailed and an assistant GM left a message on my room phone and hasn't responded to my return call.
Sorry to hear that. Is this during the morning rush or all the time? I think I waited about 5 min at the most some mornings and watched a number of elevators not pick me up on the 34th floor.

Were the elevators ever to full to get in?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:20 am

I've had the worst problems in the morning. The only times I've used the elevators to go down have been in the morning and at 7-8 pm, when the problems haven't been bad. The problem with elevators that are too full is that I assume that "too full" is why they pass without stopping.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:50 am

I've had the worst problems in the morning. The only times I've used the elevators to go down have been in the morning and at 7-8 pm, when the problems haven't been bad. The problem with elevators that are too full is that I assume that "too full" is why they pass without stopping.
No, I think the elevators not stopping on your floor is a feature of the new, more fair scheduling.

By "too full", I meant the there's not enough room for you to get in when the elevator actually stops and opens the doors.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 5:55 am

I'm not shy about getting on an elevator, particularly in situations like this, but I saw plenty of others volunteer to continue to wait.

I think you're mistaken about the abilities of this "new, more fair" scheduling system, if there is one. Three out of four mornings this week I went down when the first elevator to stop was responding to the up button. Plenty of elevators went down right past me before I got a coveted elevator space by first going up.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:16 am

I think you're mistaken about the abilities of this "new, more fair" scheduling system, if there is one. Three out of four mornings this week I went down when the first elevator to stop was responding to the up button. Plenty of elevators went down right past me before I got a coveted elevator space by first going up.
Ah yes, the famous up button trick. That's precisely why I think the scheduling has changed, particularly in the mornings.

I tried pressing the up button at some point as well, but still watched a number of elevators go by in the up direction. The first one to stop was going down.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

Just checked in for my first stay today and it is not off to a good start! Booked a Studio and after check-in I entered the smallest hotel room I have ever been in. (_ _ 02) I decided to stop at the front desk on my way out of the hotel to inquire about the room sizes and to find out how small the Deluxe Rooms were if the room I was in was classified as a Studio. Come to find out the check-in agent had actually downgraded me to a Deluxe from a Studio...what a great Platinum upgrade! (Yes I know upgrades at Element and 4Pts are not something common.) After a 15 minute wait I got to move to a Studio which was what I had booked.

Lobby area is very cold feeling and reminds me of a hospital lobby. Elevators slow as mentioned in the numerous reviews. Tonight after dinner the lobby looked like a laundrymat since they were picking up and delivering linens so the front of the hotel and the lobby was full of laundry carts.

Hopefully things can only get better from here! So far I would much rather stay at one if the 4Pts in town.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by christianj
Just checked in for my first stay today and it is not off to a good start! Booked a Studio and after check-in I entered the smallest hotel room I have ever been in. (_ _ 02) I decided to stop at the front desk on my way out of the hotel to inquire about the room sizes and to find out how small the Deluxe Rooms were if the room I was in was classified as a Studio. Come to find out the check-in agent had actually downgraded me to a Deluxe from a Studio...what a great Platinum upgrade! (Yes I know upgrades at Element and 4Pts are not something common.) After a 15 minute wait I got to move to a Studio which was what I had booked.

Lobby area is very cold feeling and reminds me of a hospital lobby. Elevators slow as mentioned in the numerous reviews. Tonight after dinner the lobby looked like a laundrymat since they were picking up and delivering linens so the front of the hotel and the lobby was full of laundry carts.
Hopefully things can only get better from here! So far I would much rather stay at one if the 4Pts in town.
---

There are no upgrades at all for Element hotels. In addition, some of the deluxe rooms at this property are actually bigger than the studio rooms. In any case, the difference in size is negligible so it is hard to see what there is to complain about. When compared with other hotel rooms in New York the Element actually has larger than average rooms--around 50% larger than the ones at the Four Points a block away for instance. Very few hotels in New York have kitchens in the room. This is one of them. The lobby area is much improved. People congregate in the area behind the elevators where there is more space to work with a lap top, have breakfast, etc.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

sfozrhfco....If you read my post you will see that I realize there are officially no or few upgrades at Element Hotels. Reality is that we all know that as a Platinum you sometimes can get lucky and get a 1bd Suite. My gripe is that I was downgraded to a Deluxe Room and it was indeed the smallest room I have ever been in. (And I have stayed at two of the 4Pts (Chelsea and TS) in town.) if there are Deluxe Rooms that are larger than the Studios then this truly was not one of them. Fact is that downgrading a customer to a room category lower than what they booked and are paying for is unacceptable!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by christianj
sfozrhfco....If you read my post you will see that I realize there are officially no or few upgrades at Element Hotels. Reality is that we all know that as a Platinum you sometimes can get lucky and get a 1bd Suite. My gripe is that I was downgraded to a Deluxe Room and it was indeed the smallest room I have ever been in. (And I have stayed at two of the 4Pts (Chelsea and TS) in town.) if there are Deluxe Rooms that are larger than the Studios then this truly was not one of them. Fact is that downgrading a customer to a room category lower than what they booked and are paying for is unacceptable!
The deluxe rooms range from 315 sq feet to 350 sq feet and the studio rooms are 335 sq feet--hardly a big difference and in fact some deluxe rooms are bigger than studios and have better views. Deluxe rooms can also be more expensive than the studio rooms as well so you didn't actually get a downgrade. Given that the Four Points rooms are 190 sq feet, I still can't see complaining about a few sq feet at the Element-as the rooms are substantially bigger no matter which room type you get.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:05 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Stayed here Saturday night and had a good one night stay.

Parking garage across the street still validates, drops the fee from $47 to $40, so you might want to look elsewhere. As it was about 9 degrees Farenheit, I parked across the street.

Got to the property around 11AM, and was given a room on the 40th (top) floor (4003). Desk agent was very friendly, we responded very positively to top floor as it makes the whole elevator thing much easier, as you won't see elevators fly past you when you're on the top floor! She told us they have a new elevator maintenance company and the problems with the elevators should be reduced from the historical issues. And that you can always call the front desk if your wait exceeds 5 minutes or so and they can send an elevator to your floor.

Our bathroom had a loud dripping type sound coming from the ceiling (melting snow onto a fan on the roof, perhaps?), which might have been very annoying to anyone who doesn't travel with a white noise machine. I had my machine and did not notice the noise overnight. Mentioned the issue at checkout, we'll see if it gets fixed.

Great stay for about $150.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
I stayed here about a month ago and was upgraded as SPG Gold to a nice studio. I'm not sure if all rooms have a kitchen but the staff was very nice. I used C&P and would definitely stay here again.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by htown
I stayed here about a month ago and was upgraded as SPG Gold to a nice studio. I'm not sure if all rooms have a kitchen but the staff was very nice. I used C&P and would definitely stay here again.
all rooms have a kitchen....i believe the corner rooms are the studios....they are a little bigger than the regular rooms....
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:52 am

Wow. I see rates of $150 and even $90 from 2 years ago in this thread. But I'm only seeing $350 and up for most central NYC hotels this June ... was going to stay here on C&P (6000+?$110) just to try out an Element.

Oh well, the other Times Square hotels are nearing $400 so I guess I shouldn't complain. Is that the average price for spring/summer in NYC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.