Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Retreat Koh Samui, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
New Year's Eve Happening: December 31, 2015

On December 31, 2015, there is a compulsory New Year's Eve Happening. The cost is 13,500 THB net per adult and 6,750 THB net per child (3 – 11 years of age). The rates are inclusive of taxes and service charge. Please contact the resort for further information.
Print Wikipost

W Retreat Koh Samui, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:52 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The property is beautiful, but horrible when it rains. We went in February and it rained non stop. We checked out after 2 nights of a 7 night stay.

The public areas are mostly outdoors, as such become unusable. Also, the property has steep hills and I actually aggravated a back injury I had previously because I fell over walking back to the room in the rain.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:00 am

Thumbs up great value and point boosting

Completed a one night stop-over stay in island transit recently and I am still impressed by the property, services and facilities as a returning guest. At current there is renovation going on but the deal I was staying on was quite alright and rich in SPG points.

For the 9999++ THB (Thai residence plan) I got:
* Early checkin at 8:00am and late checkout 5:00pm
* Upgrade to Oceanfront Villa
* Breakfast for 2 at Kitchen Table
* 3000 Points compensation for potential noise from renovation (they rebuild their lobby and reopen it in December but one is not affected by the noise)
* 4 drink vouchers (worth 1600 THB) at their bar or restaurant
* Personal classes of Yoga and Thai Boxing (since there's only few guests participating in their free gym classes.. or are aware of)
* Complimentary shuttle to Chaweng Beach
* 50% discount on à la carte SPA treatments (90min facial at 1300 THB)

Considering the current SPG promotion terms (social checkin, mobile booking) and plat benefits an additional 1250 points are incoming. In total worth the comparable high room rate as a real point booster.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold, Lufthansa Senator, Flying Blue Platinum, SPG Platinum, BMI Gold, Hyatt Gold,
Hey guys,

Going there in February. I have booked an Ocean View Escape, but I am wondering whether or not to upgrade to an Ocean Front Haven. What do you guys think in terms of sun conditions, privacy etc.?

Regards
Thor (Currently at W Santiago)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thorhansen
Hey guys,

Going there in February. I have booked an Ocean View Escape, but I am wondering whether or not to upgrade to an Ocean Front Haven. What do you guys think in terms of sun conditions, privacy etc.?

Regards
I would personally stick with the Ocean View vs. Ocean Front. I didn't find the ocean here particularly inviting, and as such would much prefer the panoramic view from an Ocean View Villa and it's pool. This is my desktop background(not my photo) Just my $.02.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold, Lufthansa Senator, Flying Blue Platinum, SPG Platinum, BMI Gold, Hyatt Gold,
Thanks Ripper.

Is it far to walk from the Ocean View rooms to the restaurant, bar and beach?

Reading through this topic, I have requested one of the rooms facing west, as well as a high floor as these seem more private.

/Thor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:43 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
It's not far at all but the hills are steep. I aggravated a slipped disc falling when it rained. The Ocean View Escape are nice rooms, however are one large open plan room. I found this irritating as we always book suites not only for the room, but so when my partner wants to watch tv I can go to sleep.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:59 pm

Ouch, maybe not a good idea to walk up again from the mo-hee-toe madness evening

Open floor plan is fine, as we do not usually turn on the tv during vacations. Really looking forward to this trip, and it will be fun to test both the Meridien and W.

/Thor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
It's not far at all but the hills are steep. I aggravated a slipped disc falling when it rained. The Ocean View Escape are nice rooms, however are one large open plan room. I found this irritating as we always book suites not only for the room, but so when my partner wants to watch tv I can go to sleep.
Ouch, maybe not a good idea to walk up again from the mo-hee-toe madness evening

Open floor plan is fine, as we do not usually turn on the tv during vacations. Really looking forward to this trip, and it will be fun to test both the Meridien and W.

/Thor

Indeed, the hills are steep. My wife and I didn't have any issues but can understand this being a problem for some. We are relatively young and it did not rain very much during our stay. I guess to help avoid these issues one could always request the buggies. We rarely used them as we felt like we needed the exercise in between all the relaxing and eating. Also, note that there are stairways about halfway down each row on the hill that may help reduce walking up/down the steep inclines.

As far as the open floor plan, one could always send their partner to watch the TV located in the spacious bathroom, hehe.

We absolutely love this property and are anxious for our return in April. I think it gets a touch of a bad rap here on FT due to their limited SPG participation and lacking elite benefits. The GM here is fantastic as shows on tripadvisor reviews.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
The GM here is fantastic as shows on tripadvisor reviews.

Have a great trip!
Exactly why I booked here

Have a great trip yourself when you return in April.

Regards
Thor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:42 pm

Indeed, the hills are steep. My wife and I didn't have any issues but can understand this being a problem for some. We are relatively young and it did not rain very much during our stay. I guess to help avoid these issues one could always request the buggies. We rarely used them as we felt like we needed the exercise in between all the relaxing and eating. Also, note that there are stairways about halfway down each row on the hill that may help reduce walking up/down the steep inclines.
I'm 31! Our biggest issue was that the hotel was not fully operational, and it rained from the moment we landed. I never prepay rates, and the assistant manager (who I believe has left now) allowed us to check out after 2 days. He also comped Mojito Madness and dinner at Nobu.

I have to say I felt underwhelmed. Perhaps if it was sunnier it may be different. I also found Samui as an island hardly luxurious which is evident once you leave the hotel.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
The Ocean View Escape are nice rooms, however are one large open plan room. I found this irritating as we always book suites not only for the room, but so when my partner wants to watch tv I can go to sleep.
You also have the option for your partner to set up pillows in the bath tub, to watch TV, if you want to be able to go to sleep.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by UASPG
You also have the option for your partner to set up pillows in the bath tub, to watch TV, if you want to be able to go to sleep.
Or... I go down to the bar while the wife watches tv
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:26 pm

I'm 31!
No offense intended. You're younger than we are. Certainly more effort could be made to making any sloped surface have some added traction.

I agree that weather could have a big impact on the impression of a place. Yes most of Samui is not glamorous, nor did I expect it to be. Did I prefer it over Phuket, heck yes.

Further, my impression of the place is probably biased as our travel agent rate there is pretty significantly discounted. Without it, this place would be outside our price range.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:18 pm

No offense intended. You're younger than we are. Certainly more effort could be made to making any sloped surface have some added traction.

I agree that weather could have a big impact on the impression of a place. Yes most of Samui is not glamorous, nor did I expect it to be. Did I prefer it over Phuket, heck yes.

Further, my impression of the place is probably biased as our travel agent rate there is pretty significantly discounted. Without it, this place would be outside our price range.

Well I had expected Samui to be glamourous. As for Phuket, we're headed there again in 2 days. We quite like the Westin and never venture anywhere near Patong.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Hey guys,

Regards
I think all the ocean front havens face west. they are right there on the beach. next to beach japanese restaurant and bar. privacy wise i can see how someone walking on the beach can "look" in but the unlikely i think. the actual sand is about 4 feet down below a protection wall and then there are lots of shrubs and plants. They will have to be trying hard to look in. I prefer the sun conditions as you will get sunset right on your "deck".

Ocean view umits are different area altogether. High on the hill. Don't think you will get true west facing if that matters to you. High units are a little more private but bear in .mind anyone standing on edge of lobby bar can look well into your deck area. The walk to lobby and pool area is a toss up between the 2.

either way, beautiful place and i'm sure you'll have good time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.