Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Good to know, what did you originally book and what did you receive? I’m assuming you reached out beforehand to request.
booked a standard room on points
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Ramiraw
booked a standard room on points
Ah, did you simply receive a 2 room upgrade from a standard vs booking 2 standards in the first place and requesting a larger (if available)?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Ah, did you simply receive a 2 room upgrade from a standard vs booking 2 standards in the first place and requesting a larger (if available)?
Yes
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:12 pm

Hello fellow travelers!

I have a 5-day stay in november in the Al Maha (1st time in the resort!), booked with points.
My understanding is that its an all inclusive resort, but I can't see this information on my rate details (the field "rate detais" is blank...).
Did anyone stayed there recently on points and can confirm that the meals and activities are included in the award rate?

Thanks in advance,
R
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Roberto Louza Musetti Naccache
Hello fellow travelers!

I have a 5-day stay in november in the Al Maha (1st time in the resort!), booked with points.
My understanding is that its an all inclusive resort, but I can't see this information on my rate details (the field "rate detais" is blank...).
Did anyone stayed there recently on points and can confirm that the meals and activities are included in the award rate?

Thanks in advance,
R
Yes, not alcohol though.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 3:56 pm

I am curious for input on the activities schedule and free time. We are staying here for 2 nights on our way to the Maldives and have never been to Dubai. We would like to visit Burj Khalifa, fountains, etc. Do the morning and evening activities line up to where it would be feasible to do a trip to the city between activities? Anyone have any thoughts on this? We could also do it after checkout and before our very late night flight, but would then have the issue of luggage storage somewhere. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old Oct 25, 2021, 5:27 pm

We did this after check out and before our evening flight. We had a rental car, not sure if you will, but that is where we kept our luggage. It worked great for us. If you aren't going to have a rental car, the mall does have luggage storage available (at least it did when we were there).
Old Oct 25, 2021, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
We did this after check out and before our evening flight. We had a rental car, not sure if you will, but that is where we kept our luggage. It worked great for us. If you aren't going to have a rental car, the mall does have luggage storage available (at least it did when we were there).
thank you! We hadn’t yet looked into a rental car but that is a good idea!
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:35 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by KRUXED
Alternatively there is a service called dubz who will come and pick your luggage up and take it to the airport, they'll also give you your boarding card and for many major airlines they can also check your luggage right through so you'll only pick it up in the Maldives.

I've used before and would highly recommend. Service took only a matter of minutes to check bags and get boarding card.

dubz.com
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
It is maybe worth to note that here on the forum are also plenty of stories around rental cars & Dubai which aren't very positive.

I was driving there and had a Sixt car where the rental experience was pleasant - it might take you a while though to get used to the local style of driving Personally I would avoid the hassle and just use the Ubers and taxis which are plentiful in DXB.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Duck1981
It is maybe worth to note that here on the forum are also plenty of stories around rental cars & Dubai which aren't very positive.

I was driving there and had a Sixt car where the rental experience was pleasant - it might take you a while though to get used to the local style of driving Personally I would avoid the hassle and just use the Ubers and taxis which are plentiful in DXB.
+1 on this. Saving a few bucks is not worth the hassle and stress instead of just taking a taxi or Careem (local Uber-like service)

I am curious for input on the activities schedule and free time. We are staying here for 2 nights on our way to the Maldives and have never been to Dubai. We would like to visit Burj Khalifa, fountains, etc. Do the morning and evening activities line up to where it would be feasible to do a trip to the city between activities?
​​​​​​​ I wouldn't take any day trips from Al Maha to Dubai city - waste of time. Enjoy the stay in Al Maha instead of spending a few hours in a car just to look at a tall building or two
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:20 pm

It would be quite a terrible waste, in my view, to stay at Al Maha and then go into the city during the day.

You are paying top dollar (or points) for the peaceful escape away from it all. Going into the city just negates all that, and you also have an hour each way wasted on the road.

If you want to spend the day in the city, then stay in the city for those nights, and only do Al Maha on the nights where you can fully enjoy the resort. If you have two nights in total and still want to do the city, then just do one night each.
DYKWIA and Radiation Station like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
It would be quite a terrible waste, in my view, to stay at Al Maha and then go into the city during the day.

You are paying top dollar (or points) for the peaceful escape away from it all. Going into the city just negates all that, and you also have an hour each way wasted on the road.

If you want to spend the day in the city, then stay in the city for those nights, and only do Al Maha on the nights where you can fully enjoy the resort. If you have two nights in total and still want to do the city, then just do one night each.
100% agree, and how I visited Dubai in the spring. Stayed at the Grosvenor House for two nights, picked up a rental car in the afternoon and drove out to Al Maha before the evening activity. The resort was generous enough to extend check out to 4 pm (not guaranteed at resorts) to maximize the private pool etc.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
I have a plan to visit this resort around early June next year but I know many people here recommend Oct-Mar. Outdoor activities in 40 degrees C are almost a torture?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 8:19 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
I'm probably the exception here but I've been to Al Maha in November, December, August and September.

The warm days have only really had the effect that it's unbearable to eat outside (people start to eat outside around September).

All outdoor activities are at sunrise or sunset so the heat isn't at its maximum. One thing I don't like about winter is that the days are a lot shorter and I personally had the impression that I had less time to enjoy there. Also, in the winter you probably won't go swimming once night comes, whereas in the summer you can.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.